General Discussion Race Reports! » NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cumberland County, New Jersey
United States
Pirahna Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 14m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and ate 2 packets of oatmeal and a banana and had a coffee to take on the road with me. Packed the car and headed out. I needed gas but figured I'd wait till I got in NJ to get it since gas is like 20 cents cheaper a gallon. Wrong move. I got a few miles in and got off the highway at an exit and drove around passing gas stations that were all closed!!!! I started to bug out a little bit. Found a 24 hr walgreens and went in for directions to see where the nearest place open was. 2 miles down the road and I was saved. Had to back track and got back on the highway. It felt like it took forever, but finally I got to the race...50 minutes later then I planned. Got my packet and got to the bike rack. The racks were numbered with our spots so there was no jockeying for the best spot. You got what you got. I set everything up but had trouble with getting air into my tire and gave up and went about with everything else.
Event warmup:

Since I got there late, I didn't have time to warm up, stretch with my band, stick my legs, or iceehot my legs. I would pay for this later. My warm up was walking to the swim start.
Swim
  • 11m 38s
  • 792 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since we were the first wave and started with some big boys, I decided the best spot was in the front and to go out hard to the first turn. I got smacked around and grabbed a few times but didn't get upset. About half way through, my shoulders started to feel VERY tired. First time racing in this suit, so I think I should have pulled it up more to relieve the pressure. I did my best to find feet to draft off but am still perfecting that part of my swim. I was having a hard time breathing to my left. Every time I did, I choked myself out...UGH! So I just breathed to my right and focused on my form. Rounded the last buoy and ended up next to some dude who was windmilling it for a few strokes really fats, and then stopping to sight. If he wasn't hitting me, he was stopping in front of me or swimming over me. I got pissed and decided I was close enough to shore to speed it up and kick faster. Lost him and swam right up to the exit. This part sucked as they were getting the HIM people into the water as we were coming out. SO, not only did I have to wait for these guys to get into the water, but there was a girl 2 people in front of me who was losing her balance and couldn't grab onto the bars and lift herself out. I started to get pissed and was shouted to move it. i pushed the guy in front of me and he in turn fell into her forcing her to grab onto the ladder. Finally, I'm out!
What would you do differently?:

More body glide and pull that suit up!!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

The run from swim to transition was looong. Started ripping my suit off and felt someone smack my ass. I turn around and it's my boyfriend cheering me on. Got to my bike and got the suit off fine. I was concerned cuz my feet were already numb and this worried me ALOT. Put shoes on loose and glasses and helmet. Decided against the arm warmers and am glad I did since it really warmed up later.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 19m 39s
  • 23.5 miles
  • 17.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out just getting HR down and settling in. My feet have been going numb on my rides recently and am in the process of getting that issue resolved. Anyways, got into a nice groove and started my nutrition. One gel 15 minutes in and water and gatorade every few minutes. I felt pretty good but I wasn't pushing it. I'm still learning how hard I can go without killing my legs for the run. I was going 20 mph and wasn't even trying. I felt great. My feet were numb, and every time I tried to wiggle my toes, I got nothing. I focused on dropping my heals more but felt a cramp coming up in my right calf. ( I got a nasty charlie horse while swimming the other night and it was still sore) So I'm doing good and around mile 16 we hit a clearing and I'm down to 16mph. What the...?!? Wind man. I thought about pushing it harder but was scared with how my feet were feeling. I was doing good and while I had men passing me, only 3 women passed me the entire bike. I found out post race that we had about 10mph headwinds the second half. Some dude next to me in transition used to sail boats. He told me about how strong they were and I think sailing boats would make him pretty knowledgeable.

Not have my feet go numb and take in salt. I am working with a dr on friday to get these issues resolved...hopefully.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Dismounted very un-gracefully. Owell, I didn't fall. I ran into transition over gravel and was concerned cuz I couldn't feel it AT ALL. Scary, but what could I do? Bike racked, number on, hat on, shoes on, off I go.

nothing
Run
  • 39m 27s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

OI!!! So, the feet were both numb from the toes down to the middle of the arch. No good. Then, the muscle next to my calf in the front started to cramp on the left. I wanted to stop and rub it but figured it would work itself out. I took gatorade at every aid station and it tasted super salty..GOOD!!! As soon as my calf started to feel good, my stomach cramped on the side. UGHH. I walked for about 10 seconds before some dude came up behind me and encouraged me. I started to run again. I hit mile 3 and it all came together..finally with only a mile to go. I kicked it in last mile and felt awesome. Brian had a group of strangers cheering for me which was amazing. Passed like 5 people the last 1/4 mile and onto the finish, hands up.

Not cramp, and learn better what I can push through without giving up so much time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got water and stretched...ALOT. Got my medal and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My numb feet and lack of sodium for sure. I JUST went to a sports med dr last week and he told me to start on the salt. BUT, I didn't have time to start the new routine and didn't want to risk it on race day. That whole nothing new on race day thing. I'm disapointed with my time, but it is what it is. And that's motivation to get my training kicked up even higher and finally get my numb feet issue worked out.

Event comments:

The event was fairly well organized. I wasn't happy with the swim enter and exit. And there were portions of the bike that had some issues with cars. All in all though, it wasn't too bad. Plus, I was very happy to see hoagies for post race food instead of just bagels or something crappy.

Last updated: 2008-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:38 | 792 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Orca S1
Course: loop
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:39 | 23.5 miles | 17.70 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Flat and fast and windy loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:27 | 04 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: out and back on asphalt.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 5:56 PM

Veteran
Philadelphia
Subject: NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON

2008-05-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1383330

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON
Great race!!  I had the same wetsuit problems at my last race.  I wasn't nearly as fast as you though!
2008-05-09 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1383330

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON
Congrats on you making it on to the podium...

I recognized the name when they called you.

Good luck this season on your other races.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed