Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 22s
Overall Rank = 5582/19112
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 292/778
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of cereal at 5 a.m.
Event warmup:

Walked around the track three times. Did some stretching after each lap. Ate a gel right before the starting horn.
Run
  • 1h 23m 22s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

The logistics of getting there were pretty annoying this year. The lights were timed wrong on the approach to the stadium which made for a ridiculously unnecessary traffic jam. I got on the subway right away, and it was crowded as expected, but I guess my nose is too acute in the early a.m., because there was a very stinky medical student next to me who made me feel nearly like throwing up. The warmup music (the whole concept of which I oppose) was even lamer than last year's.

The race itself, though, is fun. I love driving up Broad Street to see the contrasts between the high and the mighty and the downtrodden, and it's even better to see it as a runner. I also like to see what Temple Med is up to since I've been there last, although somehow I spaced out and didn't see it this year. There were only about three bands, and they were pretty lame. On my mp3 player I listened to an REM show from a few weeks ago (it was pretty good) and brought it home with some vintage T Rex.

I felt nice and loose from the start, which was NOT what I expected when I got up stiff from a hilly bike ride the day before. I remember that last year it took me four miles to loosen up. I credit the walking and stretching with making a huge difference. I cruised the first few miles, then felt like I could step it up. I kept picking people to pace me, but I ended up overtaking and passing each of them. I never did find someone who could keep me at a steady pace. Without a Garmin, I can't be sure, but I think that I ran negative splits most of the way, except for a bit about mile 6 where I rested a bit. I never got above Z2 until the last two miles, and I only really pushed it in the last mile. I felt very good physically. I did have some beginnings of a cramp in my right calf during the last mile.

I got drinks at almost every stop. I figured that I would practice drinking on the run. I ate some gel at mile 7. It helped.
What would you do differently?:

Well, if I were trying to do my best, I sure wouldn't have done probably my toughest bike ride of the early season the day before the race!
Post race
Warm down:

Kept moving. Got the food and went to the meeting area and ate it; fortunately the sun came out, so I sat down and stretched for about 15 minutes while waiting for my sweetheart. I also iced on the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, I didn't race all out, for the main thing, but that wasn't my plan. My plan was to go out, see how I felt, then decide how to do it. Since I felt good, I basically did a tempo run/long run combination of sorts.

Event comments:

I'm happy with how I did. I beat last year's time with less effort. I wore my orthotics for the first time during a race. They felt good.

Last updated: 2008-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:23:22 | 10 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/778
Overall: 0/19112
Performance: Good
Course: Two gentle rises in the first half gave way to slow downhill for most of the rest. The road was full of people. It was straight.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes