General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake San Antonio, California
United States
Tri-California
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 23s
Overall Rank = 767/2695
Age Group = 40-44 M
Age Group Rank = 67/156
Pre-race routine:

My alarm went off at 5:30. I put a cup of coffee (pre-made last night) on the RV stove and eat a breakfast bar. I made a PB bagel for the transition area.

I kissed my bride goodbye and said goodbye to my RV mates--Mike Kyle and Laura Hoover. I grabbed my stuff and headed down to the Wildflower transition area--which involves a couple mile bike ride, including Lynch hill.

I set-up way early and wandered the festival area. I ran into Paul--who was going to be a motorcycle guide for a photographer. Also, I ran into the race director and thanked him for getting me a slot into Escape from Alcatraz last year and for getting my friend Frank into this year's Alcatraz.

I putzed around and talked to a ton of friends prior to the race. It was great to this much support from everyone.
Event warmup:

Other than the bike and the putzing, my only warm-up was about a 5 minute swim prior to the race. I did manage to empty the old bladder and then lined up with the rest of the racers.
Swim
  • 28m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

I ended up on the left hand side of the start (furthest from the buoy). I felt very calm entering the water. My start was exactly what I would have wanted. I didn't push it too much and swam within my pace. There was very little contact and only a couple of times did I feel boxed in.

After the first bouy I ended up drafting off of another swimmer for about 1/4 of the course. I started to sight and noticed that he was taking a wider path than I would have liked and left him.

At the turn around buoys there was more congestion. At this point, I was passed by the fastest swimmers of the next heat. At the same time, I was passing quite a few people from the prior heat. I was able to swim defensively for the most part.

As I headed back to the dock, I kicked rapidly to get the blood going. As I exited, I waved to my wife and to my buddies on the hill.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much--I think a couple of more open water swims would have helped.

I screwed up my Garmin just before getting into the water--so I need to nail that down!
Transition 1
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

I headed up the boat ramp and I was thrilled! It was a good transition start. I pulled my cap and google off and dropped my wet suit to my waist while I was running.

I headed to the Korean flag and entered the bike transition area. I headed up the lane. However, I stopped at 63XX instead of 6436. I caught it and headed up to the right number. I got into my gear fast and headed out on the bike. As I headed out, I asked one of the volunteers if I was still in first place.

I had to fix the Garmin in transition--fix that. Also remember the fricken number!
Bike
  • 1h 29m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.68 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as you leave the transition area you head up Lynch Hill. This is a tough grind for 0.8 of a mile--climbing 320 feet. I was able to go up the hills at a decent pace and not kill myself. I passed a significant amount of people and was passed only by a couple. At the top of the hill I saw a bunch of TNTers cheering me on. The race course continued heading out of the park. During the majority of this stretch I was able to keep in the aeros and pick-up quite a bit of speed.

On one of the hills I saw CAF Scout walking her bike up the hill. It looked like she had derailed and then could not get back into the clips. I wished her well and said that I expect to she her pass me on the course.

As we entered Interlake road, we exited the closed part of the course. However, we had very little traffic! I continued to stay in the aeros and pushed pretty hard. My right quad started to hurt--so I backed down the gears a little bit on the downhills. It was a great self correction that I did not do at Big K.

I saw Paul on his motorcycle with a photographer on the back. I yelled at Paul and said "don't let her take any bad pictures of me!" They both laughed. I saw both of them later and I'm expecting tons of photos!

We had a moderate amount of cross wind on the way out. I continued to pass more than passed me on the way out to the turnaround.

The turnaround came up faster than I expected. I partially clicked out turnaround and went a little wide.

As I continued to make my way back, I kept passing the same racer. I would pass him on the uphills and he would catch me on the downs. After about the fourth time, I looked over at him as he passed and said "what! your back for more!" We both laughed. More about him later. I headed back staying in a high cadence and in the areos. There were to hills that were sizable on the way back and I was able to tackle those in mid ring for the most part.

As I existed Interlake, there is a significant long grade. I was going faster than I felt comfortable in the aeros. I lost quite bit of speed in this section--but I was still cranking.

There was two more hills heading back to the transition area and I was able to pickoff more cyclist. As I headed down Lynch hill I was greeted by about ten TNT teammates.

I was able to spin down Lynch--getting my legs ready for the run. As I headed back down the hill, I saw a guy running back to the finish with a "Save Adam Foundation" hauling butt. I yelled "Do this one for ADAM!" I got a smile and a wave.

This race had a lot of hype about the hills. They were tough, but not that bad compared to much of the training I had done this spring. We are blessed (cursed) with tons of hills around where I live. In fact I should have done more training on the aero bars.

I powered up one hill in my big gear and maybe I should have done a better job of gearing down on that hill.

The hydration/food intake was good for the Olympic course, but I need more for the HIM. Good stuff to work on.

Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

This was my best T2 transition. My dismount was spot on. I got new quick tie laces and they were a little to tight. I saw Danette and Laura on the way out and I stopped to kiss Danette.

Don't get new equipment before the race. duh.
Run
  • 54m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

As you head out of transition, you pass a gauntlet of spectators cheering for you. It was amazing. Next, you head on a freshly paved road grinding up a hill. Around this point I pass Dr Scott--who has running slow at this point. He was double dipping--doing the HIM on Saturday and the Oly on Sunday. Amazing. He and his running partner wish me luck and I continue on. I continue on and see someone wearing a "Save Adam Foundation" shirt. It is the guy that kept flip flopping with me on the bike. Turns out that one of training buddies who is 27 had a stroke on Thursday. So three of them created race jerseys on white wife beater t-shirts with a black marker. I continue to grind up the hills and it starting to get hotter. There is no shade. I'm starting to get hot and tired. I have packed 20 ozs of Cytomax and Goos. Every water station I'm pouring two cups of water over my head. The hills continue upwards and so do I! On on of the hills I start to walk. I stay to myself "it is too early to walk" so after four walking steps I continue onward. I HTFUed (checkout youtube for an explaination)

After that hill I were blessed with a moderate downhill to recover. Then it was on to the "Pit," This is a long upward grind. We move off of the hot asphalt to a white, dusty, chalky course. The heat is just radiating! It is getting tough. I have a lot of sympathy for the racers who will be going later in the day. I pass Chris--who is heading out the other way to cheer--who give me a couple of words of encouragement. My pace starts to drop and my body is telling me that I made the right decision not to tackle the HIM with the amount of training I have done on the run.

There is one last hill and I start up and make it about 1/3 of the way up before starting to walk. I grab more water while walking. Then, one of the course angels (a spectator) yelled at me "run to me--just do it." I started back running and then continued forward. This made all of the difference in the world. I finished this hill and headed towards Lynch Hill. Toward the turn to Lynch, I see Bill who yells for me. I'm starting to feel much stronger and as I head down Lynch there is a dozen TNT members.

I head down Lynch which is really steep and my knee is holding up very well. Halfway down Lynch there is a Lady with a Boston Marathon Finisher shirt on. She yells at me to "loosen up." Spot on! I loosen up and finish the race.

Coming off the hill is a 1/4 of a mile shoot with hundreds of cheering fans. I look at the clock and see 3:58:00--I'm going to beat 3 hours. As I pick up my pace, I see Danette on the side. I stop for another kiss and then head to the finish. Looking at my HR monitor I see my highest spike here--I'm sure it was the kiss.

My training was very limited the last two months. This month I ran only two or three times. Overall I survived with minimal walking. The best news was that I survived and that my hip is fine! I'm positioned for my A race--Vineman.

Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed water, water and water. Did I mention water.

I caught up with family and friends and cheered my heart out. I love staying at events until the last person has crossed the finish line. They are the heros of the day. Many times they have been out twice as long as me and everyone needs someone to cheer for them.

After a couple of hours, I got in line to get a waffle cone. The person right in front of me let other in with them and they got all of the waffle cones. I was left (and bitterly so) with a stinken cup. :-(

We packed up the RV and headed home. We made our traditional stop as In & Out Burger.

The sign of truly a good race is when all you have to bitch about is a waffle cone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

--Lack of waffle cones.
--IT Band issues on the knee causing lack of run training
--Staying in the Aero bars during the steeper down hills.

Next year I need to be aware that it was good conditions and that I will need to adjust for more heat and more wind.

Event comments:

Like all TRI California events this one was extremely well run. The Cal Poly students were great hosts and all the volunteers were great.

This has a reputation as one of the toughest Olys and it was a great day. Where else can you get 7,500 athletes in a weekend event?

Last updated: 2007-11-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:34 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/156
Overall: 0/2695
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Length TNT suit
Course: 400 meters to a buoy and then a right turn out parallel to the course and then return back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:29:23 | 24.85 miles | 16.68 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Total elevation was 2,072. Total temperature change was 52 to 64. Average heart rate was 155 average with a high of 174. My lowest was 133. I was a little surprised that my heart rate averaged this high. My LT is about 144. I was able to push it on the hills and recover going on the flats/downhills.
Wind: Cross-winds
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:12 | 06.21 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Total elevation 1,058 HR average 164 HR low 152 HR high 175
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-05-05 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1383616

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice work out there and congrats on a sub-3 Wildflower!
2008-05-05 9:34 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Geoff, you did a great job out there.  Congrats on a sub-3 finish.  Your hill training served you well (you'll find the Vineman course to be a piece of cake).
2008-05-05 10:11 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Geoff, great race! You apparently passed me on the bike at some point. I made it thru the bike but not the run. We did meet briefly before the race, I was 6423 . Member............United Nations and Korean Flags!
2008-05-05 11:00 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Super job! Way to represent and rack up extra points for West is Best!

Yes, I've heard about this Oly--you did AWESOME on a very tough course. 

2008-05-06 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Awesome race and great fun! Congratulations on sub 3 finish!

2008-05-06 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Congrats on a great race! You beat me on the swim by 7 seconds! Must be the difference between a sleeveless and a full length wetsuit, ha ha! (mine is sleeveless.) I was cramping on the run and stopped 2 or 3 times. I'll be doing this race again next year, how about you? My quads are hurting really bad right now...
2008-05-06 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1384595

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Great job, Geoff!  Fun race report to read too.

You've got me really considering this race for next year...most likely the Long Course.  The best man in my wedding has a vineyard right at Mile 22.5 of the Long Course along Jolon Rd.--so its a natural for me to head down to race!

2008-05-06 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Nice job and great RR!  Awesome that you finished in less than 3 hours.
2008-05-06 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1385518

User image

Expert
Great race! Too bad about the waffle cone.
2008-05-06 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Way to go! I really enjoyed your race report. Made me tear up, and made me laugh!

2008-05-06 5:54 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

SUWEEET! Way to go Geof...I knew you would rock and roll!!

Sounds like a really successful race and fun....sux that you got robbed on the waffle cone...so, I thought that I would send one your way.....hope you like mint with dark chocolage chunks....CONGRATS! hey you want to rent your RV over the fourth of July!?!?!

2008-05-06 10:41 PM

User image

Expert
Fantastic race and a great race report! Looks like it was a wonderful time.
2008-05-07 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Great race report! I love that you stay to cheer on the BOP. I am always BOP and really thing that's great. At my last race, the only people at the finish were the Brightroom guy and the volunteer who took my chip. It's nice to have support from awesome people like you!

2008-05-08 6:12 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Wow! Great race, I like that you took the time to kiss your wife! That is precious.

Don't you love the cheerleaders that motivate you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed