United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 48s
Overall Rank = 506/1488
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/82
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 5:50. Got ready and stretched before I woke the kids, who were planning to do a mile fun run. Made egg white omelette from egg white product that was bad. Tasted awful and I vomited for about 10 minutes. What a way to start the day!! Got everyone up and ready. Henri wasn't keeping to the time schedule, but I decided I better get my attitude right, so stayed light.
Event warmup:

Light jog for 10 min and some stretching.
Run
  • 27m 48s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was only my second race ever. Very different from the Sweetheart Run I did in Feb. This race was extremely crowded. Although there were pace areas, people did not follow the signs. I initially had to walk to the starting line after the horn because of the crowd. I spent a lot of the first 5-10 minutes winding through the crowd and dodging people. I was dismayed when I hit one mile and the time called was 9 min 50 sec. I thought, oh no, that's not going to be me. I won't stand for that...and took off. I pushed myself (it was only my ego and arrogance that motivated me). I kept telling all the slower people in front of me "coming through" and just sped by them. I calculated that I ran the last 2.2 miles at a pace of 8.16 min/mile, which is progress for me. I overdressed and was very hot and nauseated by the end. But I told myself, "You better get used to this" since I am embarking on triathlons. I just pushed on through.
What would you do differently?:

Start at the front of the pack. Dress cooler.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, peeled off my tights and long sleeves.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowd

Event comments:

A fun experience. I learned a lot about myself. Kids did the one mile fun run. They crossed the finish with huge smiles. Not a good race if you are looking for a fast time, because of the crowds and a lot of inexperienced people.

Last updated: 2008-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:48 | 03.2 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/82
Overall: 506/1488
Performance: Good
HR 175-180 the whole time. Didn't think I could sustain that, but I did.
Course: Residential area around the zoo, some along the bosque. Mostly flat and paved. One small hill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes