General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Pilates for Strength/Weight Training/Balance/Flexibility!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-17 11:55 AM

Subject: Using Pilates for Strength/Weight Training/Balance/Flexibility!!!
:-) Hi everyone!
It's been a long time since I posted anything here...but I've been training, and going to school full-time, being a busy hockey-mom, volunteering etc.... I'de like to talk about training for a minute...strength training for triathlon. I have done the gammut of weight training in the past for sprint triathlon and you know...I agree that I need to do a bit of "pumping for quads, lats, and triceps...muscles particularly used in triathlon, however, I have been doing pilates on a regular basis for 2 months now, and I'm so impressed with the difference in my balance in the water, and my coordination when running. I feel so much more fluid. I also am gaining the benefits of creating a very strong core...and yeah my the shape of my abdomen is changing (more toned and flatter).. It's not the six pack look I am emphasizing here, cause that wasn't my goal in using pilates.. Anyways, I do three upper, three lower, and five abdominal workouts a week with pilates. The workouts are only twenty minutes long each, and I'm kind of putting my weights on the back burner. I actually feel stronger than I did when lifting weights. Is anybody out there doing the same thing? Does anyone have any suggestions or comments regarding what I'm saying here. I just wanted to share that I think I've found a great key to core training, and it works! It's also very relaxing at the same time. Well, take care everyone!!! I'll check in again in awhile and look for comments regarding my input here!
Sincerely,
Waterbaby!

2004-02-17 1:56 PM
in reply to: #7771

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Using Pilates for Strength/Weight Training/Balance/Flexibility!!!

I have recently started doing Pilates.  I friend of mine said he had done it a few times with his wife and couldn't believe how he could feel it working.  He has since stopped (he says no time) but his wife has continued.  Anyway, I didn't want to buy a video I may never use nor do I have time for a class, even if the Y had one.  I rented Pilates for Dummies, although I swore to myself I would never buy one of the ....for Dummies books/videos this was a rent so I don't feel too bad.  I have noticed that it works more than you would think.  I have read about core strength and Pilates was mentioned many times.   My goal is to get into a routine with Pilates and my ab workout in the evenings.  The video is about 20 min's long.

Do you take a class? Video?  What are you using?  I am sure there are better workouts than I use.  It does not use the props that I have seen others use, just a mat or in my case the floor.

2004-02-17 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
I started using an intermediate video tape and now have a Stott Pilates video called Strong and Streamlined. It is so hard!!!! But great for a challenge to your core. I would imagine the other videos in the series are good because they have the same instructor as mine and she is good (calm, clear instructions are important when you are killing your abs)
JB
2004-02-17 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
My wife has been trying to talk me into joining her pilates class for months now. I tried it once at the club and found it too difficult and terribly painful! Besides training in the three tri disciplines, I attend yoga classes which offer the stretching I need and I see a phisiotherapist where I do exercise for my back and abs. Once I am feeling up to par, I plan on trying pilates but a less demanding one than the power pilates I tried last year.
2004-02-17 9:30 PM
in reply to: #7878

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
I bought 4 visits to a trainer last October and one of those times we did pilates.  It really felt great.  I don't know if you've been to a chiro, but some of them have these massage couches with rollers that move up and down your spine.  20 minutes of pilates made my back feel like that couch does.  With the pilates for dummies book what kind of gear do you need to buy?  My Y has some classes but they're only offered weekday daytimes.
2004-02-17 11:17 PM
in reply to: #7882

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Pilates for Dummies is just a mat video.  Pretty basic stuff really.  It does give me a workout and if I could just do it somewhat consistantly in the evenings, it only takes 20 min's, then I really think I would notice some improvements.  I also think that I may need to eventually work up to a more in depth video that includes some of the props.  We'll see how it goes.   

2004-02-18 2:24 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I was planning on getting Windsor Pilates dvds soon as I was coached my by trainer friend it would help sort out my lower back aches. I am gald to hear you guys/gals are getting good results and I should start. I will let you know how the videos are when I get them.
2004-02-19 12:57 AM
in reply to: #7788

Hi FW Rio,
I wanted to answer your question regarding Pilates training. The workouts I do are simply mat work with Mari Windsor Videos. At first I was alternating her 55 minute accelerated body sculpting with her 20 minute workout from her new series. I wanted workouts that focused on a balance of upper/lower/ab training. So I found her videos, 3 seperate ones, for abs, upper body, lower body. One day I'll do abs and upper, next day I do abs and lower and on..etc. I generally do three uppers a week, and three lowers a week, with approx. four ab workouts. All research I have done indicates it's just fine to work your abs every day, however, wise to alternate with upper and lower workouts. I like the length of these twenty minute workouts, and the fact that I can do it anytime I want. Once I do these for a couple more months, I'm going to move up to her new releases called maximum burn.... I really think this type of training helps with helping the muscles endure.... maybe I'm off track here, but I just know my body feels more aligned, stronger, longer, and overall better than when I was doing weights.
2004-02-19 9:11 AM
in reply to: #8181

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks, I will check into those.  I do think it works and 20 min's isn't much time at all.  I also heard you can work out abs everyday even though I was surprised to hear it. 
2004-02-19 9:49 AM

Regular
White House
Another vote for Pilates or Pilates/yoga combo.
I'm new to triathlons, but I've been competing in various paddling sports (outrigger, dragonboat) for years, and Pilates and yoga were things that really helped with my flexibility, core strength and most importantly, tendon and joint strength.
Videos/DVDs are good enough to start, but I'd say find a good Pilates or yoga studio in your area and go for a class once in a while (most places have pay as you go option), just so you have a trained professional check your form.

2004-02-19 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
I tried a pilates video last night and certainly felt the benefits but I felt incredibly goofy perhaps a little insecure the entire time. Im all right doing them so long as the door is closed and the shades are drawn I just have a really hard time getting into the "breathe in the fresh goodness" and would rather somebody just said "breathe in, breathe out" Maybe its a guy thing I dont know. Will definitley be doing them again.

2004-02-19 10:36 AM

Regular
White House
LOL.
I know what you mean. You'll get over it after a while
Next thing you know you'll be doing it in the gym, on your own, while people kind of look at you wondering what are you doing...
2004-02-19 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Hello,

I have been doing pilates for over a year, twice a week, hourly class. It's the best thing I've every done for my total body. Not only does it strengthen your core area, but I noticed that I'm more balanced. I started out with a bad lower back pain, it is now minimal to none.
It has also helped with my breathing, and as you know that passes on to all the other sports we do. While I do have DVD's, at this point I can do my own 1 hour class at home if I have to. I've used the pilates ball, stretch bands, small squishy balls, the ring, and a long styrofoam tube. All these require you to work your core harder in order to balance yourself.
Stay with it and you will see results.
Good Luck
Evelyn
2004-02-19 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Guess I'll be the one to ask. What is pilates? If there's a simple answer.
2004-02-19 10:28 PM
in reply to: #8222

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA

soupaman - 2004-02-19 1:22 PM  I felt incredibly goofy perhaps a little insecure

Lol, wanna hear insecure and goofy?  This trainer had me in a pilates machine thing in the middle of the cardio gym.  I was flat on my back with my feet up in these cups like maternity stirrups.  But I had to, because you DONT say no to Debbie.

2004-02-19 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
I could say without a doubt wrybosome I could not do that.

2004-02-20 1:31 PM
in reply to: #8370

Regular
White House
umbach - 2004-02-19 10:03 PM

Guess I'll be the one to ask. What is pilates? If there's a simple answer.

Yes, there is a simple answer. To quote Google's web definition:
"A body conditioning system created over eighty years ago by Joseph H. Pilates. Initially popular with dancers and other performers, the Pilates method has become popular in the fitness world. Exercises performed on the floor, or on specialized equipment, Pilates coordinates mind, body and breath to develop sleek and functionally strong abdominal muscles, a strong and supple back, and aligns the shoulder girdle. "
2004-02-20 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
haris,

Thanks for the info. Have to investigate, I could certainly benefit from that. :-)
2004-02-23 11:05 PM
in reply to: #7878

Hi Machiovelo,
That's really unfortunate that your first Pilates experience actually HURT.... It shouldn't be like that... It's such a great thing to do, however, it needs to be adjusted to your own fitness level, and also for areas of your body that have suffered injury. Sounds like you need modified version of Pilates workouts. I really like Mari Winsor's workouts cause she gives you a modifier in the group to follow. The modifier makes the exercise easier, and allows you to build your strength before you move on to the full form of the exercise. Pilates isn't easy, but using the easier exercises at first gives you confidence, and just simply makes you enjoy it enough to want to do it again... don't give up!!! Try Mari, she's great....
Sincerely,
Waterbaby!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Pilates for Strength/Weight Training/Balance/Flexibility!!! Rss Feed