General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building a bike - good idea or no? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-07 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Building a bike - good idea or no?

I am thinking of building my next bike for a couple of reasons:  First I want to learn more about the bike and it's mechanics, to learn to repair my own bike and also because I am not quite read to buy a whole new bike just yet.  I was thinking of buying the components, piece by piece, learning how to do it and possibly start in the late fall to have it ready for next season.  I am not a bike mechanic by any stretch of the imagination - I just learned out to change a flat, but I can follow directions pretty well - if they are user friendly.  So.... I guess I have a couple of main questions:

1)  Is it a good idea to buy my parts piece by piece, after I research what I need, what I want, and where the best place to buy it at price-wise?

2)  How hard is it to learn how to build a bike from scratch?

I am going to spend a decent amount on the frame - $2500 or so, but I am not sure that I my level (first year of tris) that I need the absolute best components out there.  So I want to research and get decent components and then upgrade over time.  In the end, I hope to save a little money over buying a complete bike, but also to learn how to repair my own bike at the same time.  Any thoughts?

Brian

2008-05-07 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1386930

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: Building a bike - good idea or no?
Do you have a bike already? If so, take that apart and put it back together. Re cable it, clean and grease everything. Have an LBS ready to bail you out of things you get stuck on. If this goes OK, you're ready.

There are parts of a bike build I don't do. Cutting a fork steer tube, setting press-in headsets. You should pay an expert to "chase and face" your bottom bracket (that sounds SOOoo wrong out of context) before you start and, if you're intimidated by it, have them install your BB. Instructions have tons of good install advice. Sheldonbrown, Park tools and Zinn all help as well. None are perfectly tailored to the problems you'll encounter. You need to be able to reckon on your feet sometimes.

If you're looking to save money, building a bike isn't always the cheapset way to go. But you do get to spec each and every part which is nice.

Also, compatibility issues might creep up where components don't work well together. You either need an iron clad refund policy, a deep wallet or limit your selections so you know for certain things will work as you expect.
2008-05-07 10:08 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

You don't build one from the frame up (new parts) and expect to save money.  If you do used stuff you can compared to buying new, but you could also get a better deal buying a complete used bike from Craig's list or Ebay.

As Pitt said, unless you have all the special tools doing some of the things are a bit complicated.  If you have access to a shop that will let you use the tools, that is one thing that is a plus.  I can still go to my old shop any time I want and use their stuff that I don't own, so I will whenever I need to do more complex stuff.  But not everyone has that luxury (or experience).

With all that being said, I'd still recommend building a frame up from scratch and taking the time to get exactly what you want.  Just go read my build up of my Scott that I posted last week and you can see how you can get exactly what you want within your budget and have a blast doing it!

2008-05-07 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
a few thoughts.

Generally building a bike will be more expensive then buying a complete bike if comparing new bike to new frame/parts. Thats just comparing the parts/frame. Adding in time looking for said frame/parts and the cost of tools to do a build, the comparision gets worse.

You can get used parts/frames and be cheaper than new, but then one isn't comparing apples to apples.

There are advantages however in doing a build. As you mentioned, you get to learn how to build one. You get to choose exactly what you want.

Given your budget of 2,500+, consider these thoughts.

1. buy a p2c(2,500 ULT build) or felt b12(2,700). (assuming fit)
2. Upgrading over time will include race wheels and aero helmet, etc...
Will not "need" to upgrade any components on these bikes, but you always can if you wish.
3. Buy basic tools to do your own repairs
4. Take a bike repair class at your LBS
2008-05-07 10:12 AM

User image

Westminster, CO
agree that it would very likely be cheaper to buy a whole bike (new or used).  Secondly, if you do build - have a lot of patience!  A lot of it!  It takes time to research and find the right components at the right price
2008-05-07 11:52 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Why not just buy a complete bike and take it apart and rebuild it? I mean, if really all you are concerned about is learning how to do it...why does it matter if it is a complete bike or built from seperately purchased parts?

There is almost no reaon to buy a bike in peices unless you are REALLY concerned about having specific parts. Its definitely NOT a money saving method, unless you are religously watching ebay and craigslist for used parts.

2008-05-07 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I don't necessarily think it's a BAD idea, but I'm in a unique situation that may or may not apply to you:

*I already have at least two working bikes, so if one is out of commission for transferring parts, I can still ride.
* When my hands are in bike grease, I'm in my happy place.
* I've already accumulated all the needed tools over years and years of wrenching (from before indexed shifting was even in existence).

I have saved money building my own, but it was never an all-new build (either much of it was parts I already had, or I bought used or NOS items).

2008-05-07 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Timely post because I just ordered a frame last week and will be building it up. My approach to it is that if I was just going to buy a Durace kit and slap it on there, then yeah, its probably a bad idea to build your own. But I want to know all components, maybe save my pennies for SRAM Red and know exactly what's on my bike. I'd rather sacrifice some extra cash for the ability to know all the parts on my frame.
2008-05-07 12:08 PM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
I've built up three bikes myself, saved a ton of cash.

It took longer, and not everything is brand new, but I got some STEALS on some parts and the bikes are built how I want them.
2008-05-07 6:44 PM

User image

Champion
yes you can deff buuild one up and save money if you look around.

I have not bought a new built up bike yet.

and you can get a top level tri frame, full carbon, for WAY under 2500 if you want too.

send me a message and i'll give you some places to look for stuff.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building a bike - good idea or no? Rss Feed