KOZ Enterprises
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Daughter and I raced this together...spent the night at her apartment, got up at 5am and thru on tri suit, sweats, and bike gear and we both rode our bikes with all our gear for the race in our backpacks....she lives at the beach and the race was at Fiesta Island in the bay just past Sea World. Took us about 15-20 minutes to bike there. Immediately lined up to get in the transition area...set up our gear, found some other BTers (Amy - abud7373) and put on my wetsuit. Had the name Dave Martin on one side of my swim cap and Dorothy on the other....DD did the same...many of the triathletes were honoring the fellow who was attacked and killed by the shark just up the rode from here...I had to also honor Dorothy (my sister n law who passed away in the ironman competition last year) on the other side since she is the whole reason that I am on this site. Went down and watched my DD take of with her wave....she did fabulous, all the lifeguards that were out in the bay were her surf buddies...and so they were all helping me find her amongst all the other swimmers in white caps...she did great...just plugged right along! and was out of the water well before my wave went off...was able to cheer her up the boat ramp....went over to get ready for my wave...still had one more before I went off, so I just tried to calm myself...then I found the a swim buddy that I had been talking from this site....(madcow) - TOM YOU ROCK! you sooo made my swim very comfortable and I really did not have much time to think about all the jelly fish that I kept seeing...and on occasion kicking or slapping with my hand...thanks to you I avoided lots of clusters of them!!
Event warmup:

None. Tried to find Tom and did not think I was going to end up swimming with him, then just as I gave up...my guy in shining armor appeared!
Swim
  • 14m 58s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Tom my swim buddy told me that he would be on the side that I took my breaths...for each and every stroke...and darned if he was not! well almost every stroke...at one point I looked over and he was not there...I then stopped and turned around to see him helping one of the girls behind me...he caught back up to me in no time....dang I must be really slow!! but I was not the last one out! ;) and I felt a lot better at the end thanks to my swim buddy!!! you are the "BESTESTESS" Tom!!!
What would you do differently?:

Need to swim OWS...could not get into my breathing rythym...but was able to swim the entire race...and I truly thought I would freak with all the jelly fish we had out there!?
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

I had many people tell me that I was really quick in the transition...I do not see how this is possible as I struggled with that darn wetsuit to get it over my feet! finally one of the girls two bikes down gave it a yank...I thanked her after the race. Grabbed my number belt, helmet and socks (yes socks) and shoes and was out within a few minutes....ran to the exit...jumped on bike and the girls videoing me showed me how I passed many in the transition area running and also when I hopped on the bike, I went past two guys right away....woo hoo..this is the fun part...

Practice taking off the wetsuit...was a total rookie and it was totally tiring me out!! ;)
Bike
  • 29m 58s
  • 9 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Need to remember to hydrate. Just seems to take too much time and I am soo used to using a camelbak when I rode my mtn bike, so to reach down seems to slow me down...need to practice this.

drink more water....
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Thru off the bike shoes, helmet...one last drink of the cytomax in my water bottle for good measures....grabbed my hat and shoes..I still use the lace up and tie running shoes, have not had time try out the quick lace shoestrings....and did not want them to be too tight for the run.
Headed out fairly quickly...almost got taken out by a guy who was running past with his bike...the volunteer pointed me right into him...very close call.

Not much...felt good
Run
  • 29m 1s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

want to start running more endurance runs...seemed as though it really took me some time to get my legs together for the run...felt like lead and would say about 3/4 miles into the run, I finally was able to get my stride to where I wanted it.

pre run the course days before...so you know what you are running on.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around the finish line and chatted with other racers and was able to meet Amy's cute family...her DH and two kiddos...cutie patooties! Went to the transition...gathered my things, headed to the beer garden and had one beer while waiting on results....they had all the results posted but my wave and a few in front of me...durn it! I kept waiting, and just as we were leaving we heard them announce my name...they were giving out awards...I got second...still have not seen results, but I got my medal! WOO HOO! unexpected hardware is gladly accepted! My dd's time was posted and she was 25th out of 42 in her age group! FABULOUS for her first tri...and she was bitten by the tri-bug...in fact she is now signed up as rowertrying2tri...hope you will stop by her site and say hi!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

jelly fish! stuck on wetsuit! legs of steel (felt as heavy as steel) in the run! restless night before the race..sleeping in an unfamiliar bed.

Event comments:

Great event...fabulous volunteers! and SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC swim buddies!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:58 | 500 meters | 02m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
he told me that he would be on the side that I took my breaths...for each and every stroke...and darned if he was not! well almost every stroke...at one point I looked over and he was not there...I then stopped and turned around to see him helping one of the girls behind me...he caught back up to me in no time....dang I must be really slow!! but I was not the last one out! ;) and I felt a lot better at the end thanks to my swim buddy!!! you are the "BESTESTESS" Tom!!!
Suit: TRI SUIT
Course: Took off in the water just off the Fiesta Island South Shore Boat Dock. Staged just off the ramp and would make a triangular swim around the BIG very noticeable bouys.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:58 | 09 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: headed out to Mission Boulevard down to the first Left and had to go around Fiesta Island one and a half times....Booked down the back side...was passing people left and right...most I noticed were in their middle gear, and I was cranking at my biggest speed..but still had a good cadence. Hit the corner to head back for the second small loop...and dang there was a good headwind...went from doing 20-23mph to 17-18 and could feel my bike being whipped around on a few occasions...saw my DD and she yelled at me as we passed each other...she was heading in for the run and I still had another loop to do!! cranked it out and really felt rather fresh for the run. Only was passed by maybe 10 -15 guys and one girl ;( on really nice tri bikes! I was able to pass 30+ guys and gals and made it back to the transition feeling good.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:01 | 03 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: We had two loops...was dirt for most of the loops...except for the section of beach we had to run...there was a section of sand on the back that killed me! I was not at all prepared to run in it! was being passed quite a bit, but I continually ran my pace...durn fast runners! killing my stamina! ;) Just as I was about to start my second loop I came upon Amy (abud7373) and we ran the last loop together, chatting and having fun. We were able to cross the finish line together..and my DD and her friends got some great pictures.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-07 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: Spring Sprint Triathlon

2008-05-07 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1387109

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: RE: Spring Sprint Triathlon

Thanks for the great report!!!  It's reports like yours that keep me motivated!!!
You certainly lived up to your user name passing everyone!!!

Great job!!! 

JELLYFISH????  "not I" said the swimmer afraid of water

2008-05-07 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Awesome report and well worth the wait

Congratulations Julie, you did fantastic out there. I was so glad that you chose this race for your first OWS experience because I knew that KOS was really good at organizing swim buddies. (They are non-USAT sanctioned in part because of the Swim Buddy System)

Oh, and the Jellies won't hurt you if you only touch the tops

It looks like you paced this race very consistently and your bike and run strengths really came out late in the race. I bet with one or  two of these things, you will have the kinks worked out with your transitions and your gonna be flying

So cool that you bagged a podium spot in your first Tri.

2008-05-07 1:09 PM

User image

Beaches, San Diego

MOM you are a ROCKSTAR! Couldnt be more proud of all of the accomplishments you have made recently!  (I am still new to this site and trying to figure everything out... i think i posted a report, but who knows! dont even know if I am responding to your report correctly...)

love ya! cant wait for the next one!!!!

2008-05-07 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Two races... two podiums? You ROCK!

I know from experience that racing family members is a great time, so what an awesome race for you
2008-05-07 3:34 PM

User image

Newport Beach
WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!

BRINGING HOME THE HARDWARE!!!

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT JOB!!

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, but I guess I will have to look for you at the awards cermony!!!

Great job again

Brad

2008-05-07 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1387885

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

octrojan - 2008-05-07 1:34 PM WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! BRINGING HOME THE HARDWARE!!! GREAT, GREAT, GREAT JOB!! Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, but I guess I will have to look for you at the awards cermony!!! Great job again Brad

I was looking for you in the bright orange suit..but there were a few...and of course the ones I asked...said not me! so, we will have to catch up the next time! how was your race? I have not seen your race report posted....have you done one? and if not will you be doing one so that I can leave a message!? have a great hump day and rest of your week....take care and please kit!

2008-05-07 5:25 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Great job Julie. What a great race. I love the pictures, you just ooze happiness!
2008-05-07 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Wow swimming with the Jellies! One of my tri's swim was canceled due to box jellyfish they made it a run-bike-run, that was a bummer. (we don't wear wet suits)

That is cool you did it with your daughter.

Hardware is the best!

Keep having fun!

2008-05-07 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1387844

User image

Champion
Taser-World

TWO podium finishes in TWO races???? That's BEYOND AWESOME! Congratulations!

Edited by D001 2008-05-07 9:00 PM
2008-05-07 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1388565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Way to go my friend, You are the best!

2008-05-07 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1388662

User image

Elite
San Diego
Congrats on your race!
Again, you are too kind. It was my pleasure to swim with you!
Now if only some of your speed would wear off on me I could podium too!
2008-05-08 12:09 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Excellent job on the race.  it is amazing that you had two races and gotten the "bling" at both.  You should be very proud. 

You and your daughter did very well. 

2008-05-08 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Woo Hoo Julie, awesome race!  Nice job on the hardware. you are an inspiration to me.  If you can swim with Jellyfish, I can swim with geese!
2008-05-09 6:06 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good job and fun report!
2008-05-09 6:11 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Julie..awesome race with so many great things

Honoring Dorthy, being comfortable in your first ows with Madcow at your side, doing super and getting hardware...add in doing the tri with your daughter.

Congrats! 

2008-05-10 8:41 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Wow, grats on a super race, Julie!  Sorry I didn't meet you down there to say hello, though I was busy trying not to get too nervous for the swim, LOL.  And I hear you on those jellyfish!  Luckily I didn't grab any, but I sure saw a bunch.

And that's absolutely awesome that you got a podium spot!  Woohoo, congratulations!  I can't think of a better way to honor Dorothy.

Best of luck this tri season!

2008-05-10 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button

oh blista sista, you are one great trichic now! Bling and bragging rights, wow! I've got the solution to your jelly fish problem, MOVE TO CANADA (lotsa lakes no jellies, but cold i must admit)

plus i am being selfish, i want a training buddies

CONGRATS on a job more than well done .

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed