General Discussion Race Reports! » NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedarville, Cumberland County, New Jersey
United States
Pirahna Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 37m 34s
Overall Rank = 131/205
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/36
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 515 and ate a bagel and continued to hydrate. Left the hotel at 630 and set up.
Event warmup:

Not much. A little light stretching.
Swim
  • 33m 32s
  • 2113 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the last wave and we started way behind everyone else. They added a little platform for people to enter the water. This was a good idea.....if they had 2 of them. Since sprint folks were coming out before we started it slowed our entry down alot. I did the race 2 year ago and the water was not black as in 2006.

When we finall got going, it took me a half a lap to get my breathing down. Once I did I was good to go. Took my time and sighted well. Got hit a few time but that was to be expected. I was very happy with my time. Speed workouts helped!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

Long run from the lake to T1. Took my time but hurry up kind of deal. Did a GU and loaded up 4 more in my pocket. Drank some Gatorade and off I went.

Start taking my wetsuit off during the run to T1.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I drove half the course the day before plus I kind of remember the terrain from 2006 so I had idea what to expect. I got into a comfortable cadance and took it from there. I could not get a feel for the wind until the last leg of the 1st loop when it was right in your face. 1st lap in 92 minutes which made happy. I hoped I could keep that pace as my training for this was only 1 50 mile ride. (And that was a tour.) Lap 2 was better since I could tell where the wind was. I started wearing down the last 2 miles but I was happy with my time. I GUed after the 1st hour then every 30-40 minutes after that. Fluids were good. Stayed in aero 90% of the time.

Get some loger rides in.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

I felt great coming off the bike. No problem with shoe change. GU and water and I'm off. Standing still I realized how warm it got.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 54m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is my strong part so I hoped to run about 45-60 seconds per mile slower than my PR pace which was the week before. Hit the porta-can on the way out and off I went. Started off very well but calves became an issue. At around 3.5 I walked for about 30 seconds and that did the trick. I also realized that it was getting warm and I needed to walk through wach water stop. I knew that was going to slow me down but it would be for the best. So I did that for the rest of the race with little issue. By mile 11 I was spent. I kept pluggin along and finshed a little slower than I expected (1:45-1:50) but was very pleased with my overall time.

Go out a little slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate snacks, drank water and sunburn my shoulders. Huge dinner in Atlantic City that night.

Event comments:

When I did this race in 2006 there was over 350 in the HIM alone. I think there was 360 combined for both races. I saw there was a huge drop off last year and a slight one for this year. I know the lake was an issue but it was not as bad as 06. I was also disappointed with finisher's dogtag. 2006- Big medal.

This was my 2nd HIM and I was very happy with my time. I thought the bike was going to be an issue but it went a lot better than expected. I feel confident that after a summer full of training, I can complete IM Louisville.

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:32 | 2113 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 142/205
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman (Full)
Course: 3 laps around a small lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:29 | 56 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
Overall: 165/205
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loops around the middle of nowhere South Jersey. Flat with some elevation change.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:54:08 | 13.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 93/205
Performance: Average
Course: 2 out and back loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-07 4:04 PM

New user
Delaware
Subject: NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON

2008-05-07 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1388018

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON
Nice race! I got a nice sunburn on the back of my shoulders as well. I was expecting rain, not hot and sunny. Good luck at IM Louisville.
The Dog Tag ticked me off too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed