General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new shoes any my feet are killing me. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-09 6:18 AM

User image

Regular
San Antonio
Subject: new shoes any my feet are killing me.
I just went and bought some Nike air pegisus (spelling?) anyways and the bottom of my feet are killing me. They feel like they are cramping our something. Is my foot just not use to the shoe, or does the show have to be broken in? Also I put a set of yanks on them. Dont know if that helps to know. PLEASE if someone knows whats up let me know. I suffered through my run this morning.

2008-05-09 6:43 AM
in reply to: #1391746

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: new shoes any my feet are killing me.
That does not sound normal. Were you properly fitted? I know that will make a huge difference in how the shoe feels. The first time I was fitted, they placed me in a shoe size 1.5 larger than the one I was wearing. I got my shoes on Wednesday, put about 20-25 miles in them, and that Sunday did a Half Marathon no problems. I would say something is up with your new shoes.
2008-05-09 6:47 AM

User image

Regular
San Antonio
I was fitted. Its wierd.. I guess I'll just keep trying to brake them in. They feel great when Im not running. and I ran the other day and did great infact I ran alot faster of a pace with these shoes but this morning about killed me.
2008-05-09 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I used to break in shoes, but after getting my pair of Brooks, no break-in time really needed.

I am still in the process of looseing my pinkie toe nail, because of breaking in my last pair of running shoes. The nail is still completely black. After that run, I went the next day to Fleet Feet for a proper fitting.
2008-05-09 7:08 AM

User image

Regular
San Antonio
Yeah my last shoe was not fitted at all and maybe my foot just got use to the feel and now its like wooooh... I mean other then the cramping on the bottom outside part of my right foot the shoes feel great.
2008-05-09 8:09 AM

User image

FWIW, I'm a runner becoming a triathlete and IMHO Nike's are a terrible, terrible running shoe.  I sware by Asics (their founder who recently passed away literally put his heart and soul into there shoes with a single focus on making the best running shoes) and a lot of my friends wear New Balance, Brooks and  Adidas.  I personally hated the few times I ran in Nike's. 

2008-05-09 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
I have worn nothing but Asics for the last 15-18 years. I swear their mold for my size was made from my foot.

Point being: find a shoe/brand that fits right and works for you and don't deviate. Shoes change year to year, but they usually stay consistent enough to not cause foot/leg problems.
2008-05-09 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX

i went through a similar experience with my last pair of Mizuno Wave Riders.  I've been wearing the Wave Rider for 4 years and no problems until this last pair.  I loosened up my Yanks and that helped somewhat, but the pain was still there.  I just switched to Newtons, and havent felt any pain yet.  You might think about trying a shoe with more forefoot cushioning...and if you dig Nike's try the Vomero's.  They are like running on a pillow.

Good luck!

2008-05-09 10:05 AM

These shoes might  not be right for you.
Are you a pronator or do you have any high or low arches?  The air pegasus is a shoe for neutral runners.  I'm not sure how the arch support is.

I have had issues with cramping at the outside bottom of my foot, which I reliably get from  running in Mizuno shoes.  Sounds kind of like what you described.  It happened on long runs only at first, and then for every run.  My first problem was that I have flat feet and needed arch supports in addition to my normal shoe (I run in a stability type shoe and an a mild overpronator).  The second problem was those particular shoes.  I switched and haven't had any issues.

2008-05-09 10:06 AM

Hah!  Casey, what's up with those Mizunos???  I ran on the Inspire 1 & 2 with no problems.  The 3's are what killed my foot.  I tried again with the 4's because I really loved the old versions, but no luck.  Those punks had to go and ruin a good shoe.
2008-05-09 12:54 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Dude, DO NOT run in shoes that are causing you that much pain. Depending on your footstrike, you might need a different shoe, or at least a different insole. If you didnt buy these from a "real" running store, I would find one and have them check out your gait, and see what they reccommend. Places like sports authority dont have any knowlede of correctly placing the right shoes on people.

Personally, I also hate Nike running shoes. I love their sports apparel, but their shoes suck the fat one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new shoes any my feet are killing me. Rss Feed