Multi Race
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 40s
Overall Rank = 152/317
Age Group = Clyde 225, 40+
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Nothing much; packed up the car, got little Billy up and ready and headed to the venue.
Event warmup:

Set up transition and had 45+ minutes to kill since the olympic distance athletes went out first. Ate a clif bar and downed it with a Red Bull. Did quite a few wind sprints on the beach to get the HR up. Felt confident.
Swim
  • 10m 21s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

As soon as the gun went off, I felt super confident about the swim. I went right into my usual stroke and had a pretty decent swim with NO stops or hyperventilating. The water was pretty choppy so on the way out I had to lift my head up higher than usual to get a breath. On the way in, it was smooth sailing since I was breathing away from the direction of the current.
Transition 1
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

The bain of this venue is the LOOOOONG beach run to get back to transition. This year they put the timing mat at the waters edge so the T1 times included this hike. Ran/walked to transition and took an extra 30 seconds to put on socks this time since last race I blistered.
Bike
  • 40m 41s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I tore up the bike leg. I passed more than 40 people and set a blistering pace in comparison to the dozens of training rides I've had on this course. Considering I drop to close to 10mph getting up the bridge, I estimate my time sans bridge was well over 20+. Smokin fast for this heavyweight.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Off the bike and into the Sauconys. Nothing special here.
Run
  • 31m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

At 255 lbs, this is obviously my weakest link. My typical stand alone 5K runs tend to be in the 33:00+ range with about a 10:30 average mile. I set out in what I thought was my typical race pace. I caught one of my competitors at the 1/2 mile mark and he mentioned to me that I was the only one to pass him all day in our AG. I realized then that I may have a chance at a decent podium spot. I stopped at mile 2 and walked for 30 seconds to get a drink. I was stunned to see my pace was flirting with 10:00 average and figured I must have not hit my watch when I left since I have never run that fast in a race. I felt great and fresh through the entire 5K and crossed the line a hair over 31:00...a new PR for ANY 5K including a stand alone and here I PRed as a tri leg. Amazing run for me!
Post race
Warm down:

Water and hugs from junior and the girlfriend.

Event comments:

Without a doubt the best race of my career with a PR in the bike leg and the 5K. I finished for the first time above the median (152 of 317) and finished 2nd in my AG. All of this at 10 pounds heavier than my race weight last year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:21 | 437 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 174/317
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca T-back
Course: Different layout from the usual sprint at this location. This was down and back about 20 yards from shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:41 | 12.8 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 113/317
Wind: Little
Course: One loop over the Key including up and over the mammoth causeway twice.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:14 | 03.1 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 234/317
Course: One loop through Crandon Park along the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-10 6:50 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: Tri-Miami

2008-05-11 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1393813

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: Tri-Miami

Hey Big Sexy...

Good Job!!!

I was there...but...I raced the Olympic Triathlon and I got 4th place in my Age Group....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Miami Rss Feed