General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Double or triple crankset - does it really matter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-17 3:59 PM

New user

Greenwich, CT
Subject: Double or triple crankset - does it really matter?
I'm a bit confused as to the advantages that a triple crankset provides over a double- does it give me a wider range of gears to use, or does it just divvy up the same existing range into smaller increments?

and then the kicker -- for a new triathlete, will it even make a difference?

2004-02-17 4:19 PM
in reply to: #7818

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Double or triple crankset - does it really matter?
it gives you a wider range of gears to use. If you want to get technical, there is a different amount of teeth on the rings and the same is true with an 8 or 9 speed cassette. I can't think of the numbers off the top of my head. Maybe someone who can will jump in soon.

That being said, I have a triple and rarely use the "granny" ring. But I went into the bike shop and said, hey I'm a girl, give me a triple! I think if I was to ever buy another bike I'd get the double.

I should say "technicall" it gives you more gears to use. But realistically, you lose a few due to the angle of the chain in certain gears. The chain ends up rubbing when in the big ring and the smallest part of the cassette. Same is true for the smallest ring up front and the biggest on the cassette. So I find I don't even use them. But the granny gears are nice when you want them for hills.

Help.....I think I'm rambling.....

Edited by TriMom217 2004-02-17 4:21 PM
2004-02-17 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
The triple ring is good for hilly areas. The small one in the front can get you up almost any hill, but really slow. Most advanced triathletes use a double because it is lighter, and they don't need the extra gears for getting up hills, except on really hilly courses. I got a triple on my bike, because it came that way. the weight difference is not beg enough for me to by a whole new crank yet.

If you live in a hilly area, or are doing a race with big climbs, or you are not a strong biker and have trouble with hills, I'd go with the triple.
2004-02-17 7:22 PM

Also, if you are going to do anything beyond triathloning --- like bike touring -- a triple is mighty nice when you find yourself at the bottom of a hill and you are hauling gear with you. So I guess it depends on your needs and desires. Some may have a bike dedicated to tris and use other bikes for other use. I love a triple.
2004-02-17 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
I agree, if you plan on doing much touring, a triple is a good idea. Otherwise, you probably won't need one. Had a double on my old bike and a triple came on my new bike. I've had it two years and never used it once. I do ride a lot, but don't tour in the true sense of the word.
2004-02-18 9:31 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
The triple crankset is only an advantage if you live in a very hilly area. A triple is totally unnecessary in a triathlon unless the cycling legs is up a mountain. Even then, most good riders would prefer a lighter bike with a double crankset because on the mountains every ounce that you can shed is a ton off the legs.

2004-02-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: #8138

New user

Greenwich, CT
Cool, thanks for all the input- since it's fairly flat around here, and my first tri is going to be flat as a board, went with the double in the end.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Double or triple crankset - does it really matter? Rss Feed