Modesto Junior College
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 28s
Overall Rank = 51/63
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

Walked to registration,it was over 3/4 mile, went back to car and had some endurolites and made my way to Start Line. I wanted to do this race because it was in my backyard and I haven't done much training at all this week.
Event warmup:

I think I walked close to two miles getting around.Did about 10 minutes stretching then they started to call people to the starting line. I was close to the front, and it looked like there were close to 100 people.
Run
  • 57m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off easy and just focused on breathing and cadence, did not pass too many people just stayed steady. After the first turn got passed by 5-6 people, it was obvious they were doing the 5k. Heading back I felt strong, did not expect to feel this good, I crossed the 5k mark and hit my watch,23:26,a PR for me, I did not expect that especially after Wildflower last week and pretty much doing nothing all week, go figure. I have to admit that I was soo happy that and I almost lost all focus, so I pulled it back in and continued to push on. I reached the first aid station and got a small water bottle, good thing I did not douse myself like everyone else, this is all the gave out the entire race.Needless to say I finished the water at the 3/4 point,it was only 4 oz and it was really starting to get hot. I was not about to walk and my heart rate was going up so I just kept pushing, not really passing but holding steady.We did the last 300 inside the stadium on the track, there was a decent crowd for the track meet with all the pro and olympic contenders, It was clear that they were not for us because it was dead silent, oh well, It looked way cool! I finished under 58, so I added another PR. I realize that these times are not Boston Qualifying, but Its a good feeling to see improvements and today was a good day for me.
What would you do differently?:

Bring own drink.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my long awaited water and walked for about 1/2 mile, I did feel kind of sick for about 5 minutes at the finish so I kept walking and stayed clear of people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not really bieng in tune with my running, I feel I could have paced better. I hope to improve that with more training.

Event comments:

Great food and entertainment after race, just sorry during race. I met some triathletes during post race, they swim in mornings at my masters. I found out our masters is doing a underwater stroke eval in june for 40.00, Im there!

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:28 | 06.21 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/63
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop course, you had a choice of running on fine gravel or asphalt.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-10 4:59 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: Run to the Relays

2008-05-11 12:09 AM
in reply to: #1394235

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Run to the Relays

Congrats on the PR! Hopefully that was a good pick-me-up after Wildflower. Always good to get back into it on a high note.

Nice to have a race like that right in your backyard.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run to the Relays Rss Feed