General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Perris SRA, California
United States
SAW Sports Productions
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 46m
Overall Rank = 106/111
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

I saw Dawn's Azz Crack! :) We were about halfway to the venue when the sky pinked up. I ate PB/honey toast and soy-milky coffee on the way mmmmm.

It was a small, friendly, grassroots-feel triathlon essentially in inauguration. I had signed up as a Clydesdale, but at check-in it was indeterminate whether they were having female "Clydes" at all, so I stayed in that group--who knows?

I found it hilarious, oddly touching, yet slightly annoying that the race director or announcer felt it necessary to lead us all in prayer In Jesus' Name before the race. I am a Christian, but it just seemed out of place, maybe even not so reverent. I stage whispered to Waterdog, Mixie, Faeron and Mattkempf, "But we weren't facing Mecca!"

Faeron snorted and said, "Do you even know what direction Mecca is?" I said, "I dunno ... where's North?" (Not, BTW, that Mecca is north. But that's a reference point). Faeron retorted, "See?"

These would all be ominous words later.
Event warmup:

Got in the water for 5 min to get used to the temp, stroked a bit, piddled in the wetsuit. Aaaaah.
Swim
  • 30m 29s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was very choppy near beach. Not a fan of having to swim through that 2x. Got some snootfuls. Didn't have to pummel anyone on the swim; didn't get pummeled. Got to practice a little drafting, but wound up pulling ahead.

PR for Oly swim and swim pace in any OWS.
What would you do differently?:

Remember how short the swim really is and start hammering earlier. Find some folks to swim with who'll push me in practice. Actually practice.
Transition 1
  • 06m 54s
Comments:

T1 was 1/4 mi UP from the beach, most of it on soft sand. It was COM-E-DY getting out of the water and running up the sand ... pitter patter pitter patter pit-ter pat-ter pit-t-t-er paaaatter ... putt puuutt puuuuutt ... walk. I was laughing. I eventually went so slowly I just about pitched face forward into the sand. Not my strong suit!

Other than I can never get the wetsuit off my heels fast enough, things went VERY quickly once I pulled into and out of T1--overtook some of the folks who had overtaken me on the run.

Have less fun on the way up? Nah. :) Practice running on sand? Eh--not so much, not a fan, ankles tend to turn.
Bike
  • 1h 42m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I CONFESS.

When I had Chelsea fitted to me, the LBS guy said that the bike was a bit small for me, and maxed out the settings to give me space. This involved jacking the seat way up (which fits my legs fine) but also lowering the handlebars considerably.

He said it was an aggressive position even for someone coming off a road bike (not to mention a sit-upright beach-cruiser-bars position) and to take the readjustment very slowly in building up distance, allowing my body to adapt and build the necessary musculature ... taking about two months.

This was one week ago.

So, in my infinite brilliance and slight over-eagerness, I figured 25 miles wasn't THAT FAR ...

Whimper.

By the start of the 2nd loop, I felt like I was being stabbed in the small of the back (slightly less so in my neck), banging my nethers on an iron rod (I've never actually ridden ON the pubic bone), and my entire right foot was asleep. I wasted a lot of the last 4 miles standing up on the pedals to get some relief. [It's pretty bad ... there's bruising and broken skin in sensitive places despite good lubing. Ew! My fault!!!]

On the bright side--this is still the fastest pace I've ever averaged on a bike, and I spent every flat straight moment I could in aero (yep, never done that in more than 30s increments, either), which was excellent practice.

I do not recommend on-the-course, crash-course learning as far as tri-bike riding is concerned.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Everything went just peachy until I tried to stick my feet into running shoes that were still laced up.

Untie my shoes and leave them open for me to stick my feet in.
Run
  • 1h 23m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Never had a problem or pain or "brick-feeling" legs off the bike (not even at CA 70.3--everything just hurt then) until today. First two miles were *really* tough--felt like I was being batted in the groin and another shoved up my ... uh ... other side of groin, and that numb foot was LOUD in coming back to life.

What a joy to see Tim coming in as I was going out--lifted my spirits for the rest of the run. It was so sweet also to see Verna, Faeron, and Matt out there.

As I stretched out my running legs and got into rhythm, the pains subsided somewhat and I gathered a little speed. I held onto a 2:00/:30 run/walk ratio, which was my goal and this is the first time I've done it in a race. The last solid mile, which I ran straight, was the fastest I've ever done in an over-5K race. So everything was going runningly until ...

Anything look odd about these splits, say, after 6 mi?

Mile 1 16:00
Mile 2 14:00
Mile 3 13:00
Mile 4 12:45
Mile 5 12:30
Mile 6 11:40

Mile 0.21 8-11 minutes

Wait, why is this 0.21 mile going so bloody long? (I mean, I know it's the "longest" part, but ... ) Why is the finish line behind me? But I'm still on the path ... ummm ... if I cut across am I cutting the course? Will I get DQ'ed? WHERE THE HELL AM I???

Finally I started yelling out to competitors who were getting in their cars, "I'm lost! Where's the finish line?" They shouted and motioned back. Groaning, I U-turned and headed back. I asked some volunteers how to get to the finish and one of them (one of the race heads) told me to run through transition again and double back, but he made his explanation really long and finally he said, "You need to stop right here and let me tell you how to finish." (I felt like saying, "If I stop, I ain't starting back up" ... and believe, me I wasn't running that fast, it wouldn'ta killed him to jog a few steps with me ... but he was an organizer and so I bloody well came to a complete stop while it took him 2 minutes to tell me "go through transition, make a U-turn, and come through the finish chute from that direction.")

So I just ran out of steam, and I was laughing at myself, and kicking myself all at once, and trotted through transition and came back to go across the finish line, shaking my head all the way.

Even with the snafu, this is a 10K PR for me.

I'm famous for my propensity for getting lost, and I wouldn't change a thing about myself. It's frustrating, especially in races, but it makes for hilarious stories and it's just a quirk of character. It wasn't a marathon today, after all (yep, that's happened, too)!
Post race
Warm down:

Packed up transition, walked with the Cool Kids to the parking lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

One day, I will do a race when I'm well-prepared and peaking, well-rested, near goal weight, and during which I do nothing new on race day.

HA! HA! HA!

In the meanwhile, I am just going to be my chaotic, irreverent, bursting-with-life, having-a-blast self. I is who I is, and I wouldn't trade the fun I had today for the ideal race I described above. I will make that race happen in due time, and I'm glad it wasn't today. It wasn't the course for it, anyway ... it was kind of a chaotic, irreverent, bursting-with-life, having-a-blast course!

All that, and I still PRed over my last Oly. :)

1. Lack of swim challenge/practice.
2. Not adapted to bike (and had done heavy bike week, but it was in the plan, and this was not an A race, so no harm no foul. Just LOTS OF ICE!!!)
3. Navigationally challenged.

And yeah, I'm about 20 lb. overweight. In time. Lasting baby steps there.

Event comments:

This is a funky, friendly little race, with a nice BBQ afterward. I thought it was just lovely, with gorgeous views, a wonderful course/venue (even being a tri-and-a-half-thlon) and I would happily do it again.

The volunteers were plentiful and encouraging, and the cops did a pretty good job of patrolling intersections on an open bike leg.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:29 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/111
Performance:
Suit: FS Wetsuit
Course: Two loops on a rectangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:42:00 | 24.85 miles | 14.62 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops, mostly flat, 1 short climb 2x, just like they said.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:23:00 | 06.21 miles | 13m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Little bubbly hills on the front/back ends. Long straight run out on a pier in the middle. Absolutely gorgeous views of the lake, the dam, the hills. AN EXTREMELY POORLY MARKED LAST TURN TO THE FINISH.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-10 8:01 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon

2008-05-10 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1394405

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon

Sounds like you had a great time and learned some great lessons as well!

I am sooooooooooooo glad to know I'm not the only person out there with a propensity for getting lost!

Great Race Yanti  

2008-05-10 8:33 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Woohoo, sounds like you had a super time out there today!  Your report is hilarious, as always.  Sorry you spent the ride on your pubic bone... there's a joke there somewhere, but I'm too nice to resort to such low-brow humor. 

Would've been fun to do this race with all of you, but I don't think my body would've appreciated 2 tri's in 7 days... but there's always next year!

Kudos on a fine race, Yanti!

2008-05-10 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Well done, Yanti!

You'll get used to Chelsea in good time.... adoption ain't easy. ;-)

Kudos on a job well done.
2008-05-10 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Wonderful RR as always, Yanti! WTG on your race today!
2008-05-10 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1394474

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

GREAT JOB...you Rock my Manatee Mentor.

Too bad about the misdirection...I think I have said that before on a RR 

2008-05-10 9:57 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
I was waiting for the getting lost or something part and had to wait all the way tot eh end!!  Good job sounds like you had a blast and that is the main thing!!
2008-05-10 10:05 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Nicely done--even with falling in the sand, a difficult first bg ride on the new bike and getting lost...yep, Pure Yanti fashion and you still had fun.  That's what it's all about.
2008-05-11 12:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
I found it odd as well that all athletes were lead in prayer before the race. Then right after, the National Anthem. Set the old school tone right off the bat.
Nice race Yanti! Great swim and way to tough it out on that bike!
2008-05-11 1:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woo hooo!!!Sweet. Really fun day!   Great job.
2008-05-11 1:59 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Good job!

(And your RR had the added benefit of making my wife not feel quite so bad about her trials in adapting to life on her new road bike...which is to say, of course, the saddle of her new road bike...)

2008-05-11 4:03 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I love you and your races, Yanti! You always seem to have so much fun. no matter what, and more than that, you always make me wish I was right there racing beside you.

Great race! Congrats on the PR! Now get out on that bike some more.
2008-05-11 5:00 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

Ummmm - just a note - generally speaking - at the end of the race - there is usually a big sign overhead that says F-I-N-I-S-H, and one should seek that out and cross underneth it in order for the timing to shut off and the race to end. 

Good race, my friend.  You make me laugh in that uplifting way almost every day.

Edited by jdwright56 2008-05-11 5:01 AM
2008-05-11 6:14 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Congratulations on the PR!  It always sounds like you have such a good time at your events.  I need to take a page out of your lesson book.
2008-05-11 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Awesome job out there Yanti

I have to say that any race that I do from now on that your not also running is going to be missing something. It always seems like I see folks that I know out on the course always at the right time and seeing you out running at mile 5 was just perfect. Things were starting to get really dark and I was holding on by my finger nails.

You rocked the swim as I suspected you would and you did great on the bike even with your "getting used to the fit" issues. Just gonna take a bit of time and you will get things dialed in. (That is what tuneup races are for after all)

You looked strong out on the run when I saw you and I am sorry that the course was not better marked. Chalk and a few stakes are definitely not enough to keep us on track especially late in the race.

Outstanding job cranking out a PB Time even with your race day issues. I bet your gonna smash your time again later this Summer at Carp. 

This is a very cool race and I think I will be back next year for sure.

Oh and it was great hanging out with you and the rest of the cool kids for lunch.

Take Care and Recover  Well

2008-05-11 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Great job out there!!  And thanks for the comments on my race report....you are right, very similar experiences out there.  I wish I'd known who you guys were out there, but somehow avatars don't give a good enough idea of what someone would look like in real life.  I'm sure since we are both in SoCal that we'll be in the same race again soon. 

Hope the girl parts recover from the bike....I totally hear ya on that one.  They should hand out Bodyglide at aid stations instead of water. 

Anyway, congrats on the PR, and hope to be able to meet you one day out on course!

2008-05-11 6:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2008-05-11 6:16 PM
2008-05-11 8:20 PM

Master
Pacific Northwest
Another great job by a great gal!  Wonderful stuff.
2008-05-11 9:15 PM

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Impressive race in many ways!  Loved the RR, loved the bike description too!  You are way cool to just get out there and DO it!  WTG!  Smile
2008-05-12 1:17 AM

Master
Houston
I hope the ice is working for you!  Great job and what a wonderful report.  I have to say you always sound like you are having the time of your life despite the challenges.  Rest well.
2008-05-12 2:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-05-12 4:34 AM

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Yanti...you know I think you are the bomb.com. :D It was a blast being there with you and being able to experience this awesome thing together. And I'm so glad that I got to run into you out on the run...I was getting worried for a while that I wasn't going to be able to see anyone I knew while I was racing...then I started seeing you guys and it made it so much more fun. Yay!! Anywho, can't wait to do the next race with ya. You're always an inspiration....oh yeah...nice interview on endurance planet...beginner triathlete of the month!! hahaha. Cheers!
2008-05-12 11:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
What a race, Yanti!  Great job!  Congrats on a PR despite the bike-fit and run course snafus!  The fact that you could remain positive and smiling throughout that is a win and PR in its own right!
2008-05-12 12:27 PM

Elite
far northern CA
Nice job at the race!!!!  Way to go with a negative split during the run!!!!  Woo hoo!
2008-05-12 12:31 PM

Regular
You really did look great out there all the times I saw you, thank you for not giving me a hard time when I passed you and then you zoomed past me because I had to walk up the hill, thank you for sitting in that uncomfortable seat there and back, thank you for that big hug at the end of the race.  If you pr'd with a painful bike and getting a little off track on the run you are going to have such an awesome rest of the season and if I can get as good at one event as you are at swimming I will be more than content.  I hope cake boy was able to make things *ahem* better afterwards .   Coach Yanti had an awesome race so I am happy for you and proud that I have such a wonderful athlete getting me through all this. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2