Jack and Adam's Bicycles
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 31s
Overall Rank = 302/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 47/86
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45 AM, oaded cooler into car and drove down to New Braunfels, Drove through Dripping Springs and Kyle due to construction on I-35. Arrived at 6:30, Finished setting up bike and transition area by 7:05 AM
Event warmup:

Swan 200 m warm-up to test water conditions. Streteched out and walked around to stay loose
Swim
  • 07m 36s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out on the left for the most direct line to the turn witout swimming extra. Had a lot of interference with the swimmers in front of me and also some of the swimmers in the previous wave.
What would you do differently?:

Don't know, thought I started on the best line, but had more interference, probably because this was such a big group and a short distance.
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

How many times have I read to not do something on race day that you have never done before in practice? Had major issues getting my top on wet. Also changed my mind mid-transition in regard to the running bike mount, so I had to pull my shoes off of the pedals and put on.

Would have wore my top in the water, probabaly lost 1 minute trying to get it on.
Before my next race, I will be practicing and perfecting the running bike mount with my shoes on the pedals.
Bike
  • 40m 37s
  • 11.1 miles
  • 16.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Downshifted to finish first hill and chain dropped off inner ring, luckily it was right at the top and there was a large patch of asphalt to stop on. Popped chain back on and took off. Tried to push myself more than last race. Made sure that I pushed on the downslope through the beginning of the course. Felt I did good on the hills on the backside of the course.

Not had my chain fall off, would have done running start to gain a little more time.

Once again, bike was my weakest part of the race
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Made major improvement, as I double checkd my shoes were unhooked while still pedaling to bike dismount. DID NOT FALL OVER!!!! Felt good running with the bike, but was on a downslope when I turned to get to my rack, and almost fell over.

Felt this was probably my best transition of the races I have done this year. Will work on leaving shoes attached and removing feet instead of unhooking.
Run
  • 16m 48s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out good, nice to see that Lynn had brought the girls over to cheer me on starting the run. Sharp turn just before hitting the road with a couple of potholes, Got onto the road and passed a couple of runners, then just kept pace until turn around. Since I had went harder on the bike this time, wanted to make sure I had enough to finish. At the turnaround, I stopped and drank water and PURE. Took off on return, feeling good, picked up the pace a little, and began to focus on runners ahead of me and "reeling" them in to pull myself to the end. Felt good at the end, but was passed in the last 100 meters by a guy in my age group. Not quite the same kick I had in Galveston

Not much, felt that the run was pretty good considering how much harder I biked this race. Finished 210 overall on the run, so this continues to be my strongest part of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, found the girls, drank lots of water, and some PURE. Streteched out and kept loose

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Won't forget to listen to common sense and only do things on race day that I have practiced before. I probably could have made up 3 minutes if I had kept it simple (would have moved me up 10 places in my age group, and almost 100 slots overall)

Event comments:

Loved my first Austin area race. Looking forward to completing the rest of the races in the Texas Tri Series. 1 down, 5 to go.

Last updated: 2008-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:36 | 328 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/86
Overall: 303/
Performance: Average
Suit: No Wetsuie
Course: Texas Ski Ranch rope pull lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:40:37 | 11.1 miles | 16.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/86
Overall: 340/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Road course, good size uphill to start, nice down slope through first turn, 3 good hills on back run, 2 hills on final side, large downhill to the finish
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:48 | 02 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/86
Overall: 210/
Performance: Good
Course: started out on grass, once on the road, small rolling hills, mostly uphill out and downhill back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-10 9:49 PM

User image

Pflugerville, TX
Subject: Jack & Adam's Rookie Triathlon

2008-05-11 6:00 AM
in reply to: #1394522

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Jack & Adam's Rookie Triathlon
Sounds like you had a good race overall, congrats! I had a few things give me some mishaps too... like forgetting to eat! ahhh.

It was a nice race day too --- not too hot and the overcast felt great.

2008-05-11 7:33 AM

Master
+1 twas a good race.
2008-05-11 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Nice Race & good write-up. Every now & again you have to have one of those races in which you overcome all the things that happen to you either by your own design or by chance.

p.s., I hate those AG'rs with the finishing kick too!
2008-05-11 9:06 AM

User image

Elite
Nice report and great race.
2008-05-15 2:44 PM

User image

Austin, TX
sounds like you had a great race! see you at captex