Sarasota Sharks Tri Club
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 40s
Overall Rank = 86/178
Age Group = M 30 -34
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Packed all the gear Friday night. Was up at 3:30 AM Saturday loading gear in the Envoy then headed over to the hotel to pick up the parents. On the road to Sarasota by 4 AM. Arrived at the race site right at 5:30, picked up race packet, got marked, set up transition, made a few pit stops and headed to the beach for the 7 AM start. Ran into Heather Gollnick in the parking lot!! Too cool! I think she is from Sarasota which is why she participates in this race. Just said hello to her while walking by.
Event warmup:

This was a non-wetsuit race, as the water temp was 80 degrees. Waded out into the surf for about 5 minutes or so to loosen up the arms and shoulders and to practice breathing.
Swim
  • 29m 15s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I haven't done ANY OWS practice this year at ALL, and my pool swimming has really dropped off the past month after having swam pretty regularly for the previous 2 months. I knew I could make it through the swim, but I thought it would be exhaisting and simply a survival game. There were also some rolling waves to contend with the entire time. Amazingly, I found my stroke pretty quickly and didn't have to deal with any hyperventalation issues. I was able to settle in to a consistent stroke and make my way through. I got out of the water and looked at my watch and it was under 30 minutes!! I was really stoked with this time.
What would you do differently?:

Hit the pool more consistently, practice OWS before race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

T1 had a run from the beach up to transition, which included a run through powdery sand so HR got elevated. Should probably work on cutting out 1 or more minutes from this transition time.

Have bike shoes attached to pedals and attempt putting them on while riding.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed the bike course a lot. There wasn't much headwind to deal with except for a short time during the second loop. It was cool being able to average over 21 MPH without having to drop the hammer. I was trying not to blow up my HR too much so I wouldn't have to start the run already blasted. This was probably a high Z3 effort on the bike, I definitely could have gona faster but I think I paced it just about right. Played leapfrog with a girl on a Cervelo about 5 or 6 times.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

T2 went pretty quick. Was able to get out of the bike gear and into the running gear with no issues.
Run
  • 1h 02m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out running through some woods with a pirate theme. There was a skeleton hanging from a tree, and the facade of a pirate ship with a boombox playing some techno music. Nice touch. Then it was out onto the sidewalk running out about 3.5 miles to the turnaround. part of the way back they diverted you out onto the beach for about 1.5 miles. Running on the hard-packed wet sand is not bad. It's running out through the powdery dry sand that gets to you. Shot my HR up to 190!! Walked part of the powder. Almost done and really starting to feel like I wanted to stop but just pushed through it. Anywho, nearing the finish had to turn back away from the beach and run through the nice powdery sand again to head back to the finish line.

I really need to focus on not going out to hard on the run. I started out running 8:45 to 9:00 miles at the start b/c I was feeling really good. All this did was shot my HR through the roof and made the second half of the run a game of survival. Shojuld probably start out at around a 9:30 pace for this distance and adjust from there.

Start out slower. Look at that average HR~~~! Wow. I'm shocked I didn't blow up completely.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, some food, and chilled out listening to music and people watching while waiting for the parents to find me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have to figure out how to keep my HR under control on the run coming off the bike. This single factor is the bane of my triathlon experience.

Event comments:

This was an awesome race! I really enjoyed the small, local feel of the event. There were only about 200 triathlon participants and 100 duathlon participants. So it was really cool to see Heather Gollnick out there on the beach before the race, out on the bike course, and even saw her headning back out on to the beach for another run as I was finishing up and she had obviously already finished. She told me to "nice job" as she passed by. She really seemed to be enjoying herself. I will definitely keep this race in mind for next year. I think I may enjoy these smaller events more than the larger corporate affairs.

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:15 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 0/178
Performance: Good
Suit: n/a
Course: Short swim out to just the other side of the sandbar, turned north swimming parallel to the beach for about 800 yards keeping the buoys on the left, then did a u-turn and came back the same direction another 800 yards again keeping the buoys on the left, then back in to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:48 | 24.85 miles | 21.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/15
Performance: Good
Avg HR 166
Wind:
Course: The bike course was a 2 loop affair basically taking you the length of Siesta Key twice. This was a super flat and fast course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:02:36 | 06.21 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/15
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 183.
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-11 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Subject: Sarasota Sharks Classic

2008-05-11 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1394948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Sarasota Sharks Classic
Nice job, the loose sand wasn't a lot of fun but same for everyone. I'll do it again.
2008-05-11 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Thanks! Looks like you had a good race as well. I will definitely consider this race for next year if it fits in the schedule.
2008-05-12 9:01 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

The bane of your HR wasn't from the transition but the excitement of seeing Heather!!  WOOHOO!!!

Very nice job at the race, doot!

2008-05-13 7:48 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

nice job dude! solid bike and run splits for sure and while you have to adjust your pacing a tad it is normal for Olys pace to feel very challenging

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sarasota Sharks Classic Rss Feed