SAW Sports Productions
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 13s
Overall Rank = 5/23
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30am and then drove an hour and 10 minutes to the race site.....sipping coffee, Gatorade, and eating a bagel with cream cheese en-route whilst listening to some Kanye. Good times. Hit the restrooms as soon as I arrived at the race, and then set up transition. I only knew one person at this race, which is rare for me because I'm usually with my team! But somehow being a stranger took a little pressure off.
Swim
  • 14m 27s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, the official splits for me are wrong....they added 10 minutes to my swim and subtracted it from my bike (which I am sure of because of my Garmin), so I've adjusted them in this report.

This was my worst swim ever. EVER!! I've always heard of the panic attacks in open water, but I've never experienced one. But 100 meters or so into this race, I downed 1/2 of Lake Perris thanks to some rogue waves and was convinced I was going to die. I was still in a sea of purple caps, many of whom were commenting on the rough swim, so I just tried to refocus and got over it. I don't know what came over me, but I was shocked at how easy it was for the brain to flip into panic mode. I had to convince myself that I'd swum in much worse conditions before, and that I just needed to get this done. Thankfully I was settled by the halfway point and just got it done.
What would you do differently?:

Take a Prozac!
Transition 1
  • 05m 3s
Comments:

It was a quarter mile up this painfully hard beach-- I was hoping my feet would be frozen and that I wouldn't feel the rough sand, but the water had been very warm and that beach HURT!! I walked for 20 seconds or so to get my heart rate down, then got into transition. No women anywhere-- it was really bizarre. Took my time in transition to get the sand off my feet (which I ordinarily never do), and then was on my way.

I guess I could learn to go without socks, but it wouldn't have mattered time-wise in this race.
Bike
  • 44m 47s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I haven't done a sprint in so long--- my brain was in "conserve" mode when I really should have been gearing up more and trying harder on the straights. I was averaging 19mph on most of the course, but that final hill just destroyed my race time. I may as well have walked it my time was so bad! I've taken it easy for a month with an Achilles injury, so I haven't spent too much time in high gears or on hills because I've been trying to heal. This definitely hurt me on this bike.

Overall, was pleased with the police at the major intersections and I never once had to stop. They were all very friendly, too!

Get healthy and then train harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Did a quick transition, scooped up my gear, and I was off. I always put my race number and hat on when I cross the mat....

Maybe start taking my Garmin off the bike before I roll into transition. My watch had died during the race so I felt like I needed the Garmin on my run. It took an exra 10 seconds to pry it off the bike. But I didn't care-- I was going to have a panic attack without it. (Fragile state of mind I was in for this race, I think!)
Run
  • 29m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw the top four girls FLYING past me on their way back to the finish as I was in the first half mile or so of my run. It was almost comical, really. I am not a runner. :) But this was my best triathlon run yet....maybe not time-wise, but based on how I felt. No stomach cramps, and no pain. I felt fantastic. I walked just to take sips of my water bottle (and one little hill....Achilles and hip flexors can only take so much, and this was a practice race), but otherwise, kept chugging alone. Was nice to see people along the course route cheering us on and telling us how close we were to the turnaround or the finish. I recall seeing a water station on the way out, but didn't see it on the way back.....but I may have been distracted! Got lost just once, which was totally my fault. They had the route all chalked, but I stopped looking down and continued down the wrong path for a minute--- one of the guys returning from the turnaround yelled at me and got me back on track without too much time lost.

I followed a guy in for the last mile and a half, as he was at the same pace as me. We both sprinted to the finish, and it was great!

Obviously, heal up and train more for the run. It's coming, I can feel it. Oh, and pay attention so I don't get sidetracked and run more than I have to. (Which may explain why my Garmin clocked us at a 3.22 mile run!)
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, grabbed my water bottles off my bike, and downed them. After the awards, I enjoyed the cookout and had a nice lunch with a few new friends!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Preparation. I had an "A" race in early April and haven't been on any particular plan since then....just recovery from my overuse injuries. This was such a fun race that hopefully next year I'll be more primed and ready for it.

Event comments:

Well, I thought they did a phenomenal job for a 1st year (okay, I know it used to be around back in the day, but it was on hiatus) race that was so small. I was glad that they had the transition mat down at the water and that we didn't have to safety pin the numbers to our wetsuits. I loved that they kept it organized and on schedule. The bike course was well marked and well-manned.....I felt safe the entire time and really enjoyed it. Even the t-shirts were rockin' -- whoever did the graphics was awesome. I loved that they still did the awards even though there weren't that many in the age groups....for some of us, it'll be our only shot at the podium this year! :) And the post-race cookout with the Guns n' Roses blaring was just plain fun. I would certainly do this race again-- I felt like they did a really good job and it was a blast.

Last updated: 2008-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:27 | 800 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 4/23
Performance: Below average
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: U-shaped course in Lake Perris.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:47 | 12 miles | 16.08 mile/hr
Overall: 6/23
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: All right turns, small hill at start to climb out of Lake area, then flat for 9 miles until the last hills, which is a 1.5 mile climb of about 400 feet. (if I read my Garmin correctly) Last mile or so is all downhill to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:44 | 03.11 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 7/23
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a flat concrete trail around the Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-11 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: Dam Sprint Triathlon

2008-05-11 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1394987

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Dam Sprint Triathlon

Rock on! Great job! Congrats on the win!!!

I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, but looks like we had some similar experiences on race day--and I'm so glad you liked this fun funky little event, too.

You did great on the swim--it really was very choppy near the beach, and that run--well--it was actually the "first" run segment of a duathlon Nice job getting it out of the way! I also had to get a bunch of sand off my feet in T1.

The hill was a bruiser because of the couple miles of false flats before it. Good job mashing it.

Hmmm ... sorry you got lost, but glad to know I'm not the only one who was misdirected on the run--look away from the faint chalk for a moment and who knows where one is going!

Sweet race for you, and I sure hope you to see you here again next year or at other events.

2008-05-11 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great job out there Erin

The swim was tough partly due to the wind but also because of the boat wakes coming in on the windward side of the course. At least the water was fresh so a mouth full of water was just hydration for the bike :RollEyes:

Awesome job out there cranking out a first place finish. I knew a few of the cool kids were gonna stand on the podium yesterday. I was just coming in when they were doing the awards for the sprint and I am bummed that I missed it.

Definitely gonna have to get hooked up with us at the next race. I almost brought my BT shirt just to hang it on my bag like a flag so others would know where we were.

Very cool race

2008-05-11 8:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-12 12:54 PM

Veteran
Redlands, CA
Great job winning your age group! I wish my swim was as fast as yours!

I think I Passed you on the hill coming back in to the park ( Iwas on a mtn bike wearing an orange jersey) then you passed me back on the down hill. Then if it was indeed you I repassed you on the run.

You are right about the t-shirts, this was my first tri and I got an awesome t-shirt that you can actually wear without feeling like a billboard.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dam Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed