General Discussion Race Reports! » St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. George, Utah
United States
BBSC
Total Time = 2h 58m 51s
Overall Rank = 105/362
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/40
Pre-race routine:

St. George, UT is about 4.5 hrs south of SLC. This year, to save money and for race convenience, I camped at the race venue. The wind kept me up all night and my sleep was limited. That sucked. But being a 3 minute bike ride t0 Transition to set-up was wonderful! Stress free! I got the endcap of the bike rack and was all set-up by 5:30. Boy, it sure is windy out here!!
Event warmup:

None. Some stretching.
Swim
  • 33m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think I have found my strength in tri's. I'm a good swimmer. I finished 69th out of 362 swimmers. Unfortunately, the swim is the shortest part of the race.......

Let me tell you about this swim. The wind was blowing at about 30 mph sustained and over 40 mph gusts. It had been like this all night. The water looked rough and there were whitecaps. I started at about 7:10am, in the 2nd wave. The first leg to buoy 1 was with the waves, so it went fine. No OW anxiety, no crowd problems. The buoy 1 turn was really crowded but no kicks to the head or anything.

Around bouy 1, all Hell broke loose. There were waves and swells to my left side, my race breathing side. The waves were crashing on us. From the trough of the waves, they were at least 2 feet high, maybe more. I took in a BIG mouthful of a wave and it went down. I choked and gagged for a minute...and kept on. It happened again within a minute. I treaded water for a minute looking around. The lake just looked horrific. Whitecaps everywhere.

I started again, trying to breathe on my right side. In the pool, I swim alternating sides, and I can breathe on the right, but for whatever reason, I couldn't do it. I tried several times, but it wasn't going to work. I could see the next buoy, as I rode up the swells. It was during this leg that I seriously considered, for the first time in my short tri life, to stop.

I was so far from the finish, and the lake was kicking my ass. I saw a boat not too far from me, and I really wanted to signal to them. But I thought of 3 things, right then and there in the water: 1) I saw a IM Kona youtube video once and the guy said "you can quit at anytime, and they won't care....but you, will always remember..." 2) DNF---I didn NOT want DNF next to my name 3) IM CdA could be like this, so what would I do then?? I know last year at CdA, the water was horribly choppy, so it could happen again....I mentally resolved to move forward.

Breast stroke, free style..... I finally made it to the next buoy and turned into the waves...new adventure!! I felt like a dolphin launching out of the waves. While I could breathe better, the new challenge was crashing from the top of the wave to the trough, and from the trough of the wave to the top. There was no timing breaths with these waves.

I then saw someone "x'ing" there arms to get plucked out. Keep going, Steve. We swam behind a large rock island and it was a bit calmer, but it didn't last. Finally, I turned the last buoy and the waves were behind me. I churned it in and finished. Honestly, I was happy to be alive.

One more wave went off after mine. The RD at the award's ceremony said 29 people were pulled from the water on the Olympic swim (3 waves). They cancelled the Sprint swim. I guess it WAS a bit rough out there. :)
What would you do differently?:

Bag all drill workouts and swim in a wave pool. :) Seriously, nothing. I credit my swimming strength from my workouts to get me through this.

My swim was only 2 minutes slower than last year, and last year the water was fine.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

Some a-hole racked his bike and crap after I had, and he totally blocked me in!!! I had to move his crap on the ground to get my bike out. It was all I could do not to just kick his stuff everywhere.

No more racing with bike gloves...take too long to put on.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 19s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind did not help on the bike. Southern UT is very deserty, and the wind caused sand drifts in several places. That was fun! There were several times with the headwind that I could not get over 10mph. There is 1 steep, long hill on the course, and it was into the wind.

I was able to push through it though with little trouble (alot of effort, but no issues). The road was really rough too, for the most part, ahd that just added to going slow. I really couldn't test out the new bike much, but about the last 1/4 of the course, the wind was at my back mostly, and I got to open it up some. My max speed was 45mph, but I was dodging newbies too....scary.

Nothing. Can't help the weather.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Dipsh!t's bike was in the way again as he did the sprint, didn't have to swim, and was done with his bike when I got back...his crap was in the way again....and again, it was out of my way. :)

Throw his crap every where!!!
Run
  • 54m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well despite the ongoing wind. I felt good off the bike. A few times, I received a microderm abrasion treatment, and my skin feels so much smoother!!! This was my 3rd time doing this tri and run, and this year, I ran the entire course, except power walking up the hill. Running through the sand, very soft sand, just sucks.

Nothing at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching. I sat and waited for some tri club members to come through for their 2nd loop and told them to keep going!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind. I was ready for PB for an Olympic distance tri, but I was handed a different hand by Mother Nature. I still beat last year's time by about 8 minutes, despite the wind and water. But I do know that I can endure alot when it comes to the weather. I gained alot of confidence when it comes to my tenacity and endurance. I gained some doubts that if my IM in 6 weeks from today, could I make it for 140.6???

Event comments:

Good race despite the weather.

Volunteers rock. Thank you!!!!!!

Last updated: 2008-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:40 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/40
Overall: 69/362
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Zoot
Course: 1 Loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:24:19 | 25 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 112/40
Overall: 127/362
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:26 | 06.21 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 109/40
Overall: 138/362
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops, off road, lots of sand, 1 big, short hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-11 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
Subject: St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon

2008-05-11 9:22 PM
in reply to: #1395344

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon
Congrats on a rough race Steve! You hung in there, toughed it out and finished. I'm proud of you! It's GREAT to be a Florida Gator!!
2008-05-11 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1395444

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT

G8RSAX - 2008-05-11 8:22 PM Congrats on a rough race Steve! You hung in there, toughed it out and finished. I'm proud of you! It's GREAT to be a Florida Gator!!

Thx, W!!!!  Today, the day after, it was a great day. Cool

2008-05-12 6:25 AM

Veteran
Newmarket, Suffolk
Great job! Sounds like a really rough race, but you kept going!! That mental fortitude will be a huge asset for your IM :-)
2008-05-12 7:38 PM
in reply to: #1395775

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT

sel166 - 2008-05-12 5:25 AM Great job! Sounds like a really rough race, but you kept going!! That mental fortitude will be a huge asset for your IM :-)

Thanks!!!  It was a tough day, but I, along with alot of other strong willed triathletes, made it!  It was one of those races where you look back and think "hmm....how 'bout that?" Cool

2008-05-12 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1397943

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Awesome race in really tough conditions Steve!  You'll be ready for CDA now if the weather turns nasty!  Great job!

2008-05-12 11:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
WOW!! Great job out there...very respectable swim - especially in those conditions, and super fast run to close it out...

Will look ofrward to that IM report!!
2008-05-13 11:23 AM
in reply to: #1398371

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Ha!  Great race report.  Good description of the swim..  I tried to block it out of my memory.  If they had me in the right wave (a snaffu on their part) we would have been close to neck and neck the entire race.  Almost down to the minute....
2008-05-13 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1399267

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT

Aikidoman - 2008-05-13 10:23 AM Ha!  Great race report.  Good description of the swim..  I tried to block it out of my memory.  If they had me in the right wave (a snaffu on their part) we would have been close to neck and neck the entire race.  Almost down to the minute....

Hey!  Congrats on your race!  I had a tiny snafu too, as I was in the right AG (40-44), but my race packet had 40 scratched out and 39 written in and I had the wrong cap color...oh, well.

We made it through a very rough day.

Congrats!

2008-05-13 8:54 PM
in reply to: #1398371

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT

tbctbc - 2008-05-12 10:54 PM WOW!! Great job out there...very respectable swim - especially in those conditions, and super fast run to close it out... Will look ofrward to that IM report!!

Thanks!!  It was quite a day!!!  Oh, that IM rr will be something else, I'm sure!!

Take care.

2008-05-13 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1398356

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
Flyboy - 2008-05-12 10:31 PM

Awesome race in really tough conditions Steve!  You'll be ready for CDA now if the weather turns nasty!  Great job!

Thanks, S!!!  I like your quote:  "Pain is nothing compared to what it's like to quit." Aaron Sheidies, blind Ironman Triathlete

While I wasn't in "pain", I had some mental anguish.

2008-05-13 11:07 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

Your description of the swim is a bit better than mine!

Great report, great race!

2008-05-14 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1400941

User image

Sensei
Sin City
TriGator2151 - 2008-05-13 6:52 PM

Aikidoman - 2008-05-13 10:23 AM Ha!  Great race report.  Good description of the swim..  I tried to block it out of my memory.  If they had me in the right wave (a snaffu on their part) we would have been close to neck and neck the entire race.  Almost down to the minute....

Hey!  Congrats on your race!  I had a tiny snafu too, as I was in the right AG (40-44), but my race packet had 40 scratched out and 39 written in and I had the wrong cap color...oh, well.

We made it through a very rough day.

Congrats!

That's the SAME thing they did to me....  So I started in the first wave with all the other blue caps.  But since I was 40, I should have started in the later wave (about 9 minutes later).  so I got a head start according to the timers.

I guess you figured that out and started in the right wave.  I was just a lemming and followed all the baby blue caps and figured it would shake out in the end since we have to step on the timing mat before the wave.  I thought they would have me correct.  Apparently not....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed