Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 40s
Overall Rank = 116/148
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 19/20
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, powerbar. Bleh. It was the only thing I had time to grab. Rode to Clemson with Adam and Tania - and Missy, who came to cheer us on. Started toward check-in and the line was crazy long, so went back and got our stuff and got back in line. Checked in, got chipped, got marked, got set up. Ran to the swim finish at the end of the transition area and back to my rack. Nerves weren't helped by being so late - or not really that late - we were in line forever.
Event warmup:

Does a walk to the swim start count?
Swim
  • 18m 56s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Time also includes run to T1. And, yes, it was a run this year. WHOOHOO! Other than that, with the amount I've practiced my swim this year, this time is actually pretty good. The water was great - not too cold - I didn't wear a wetsuit. I got full-body hugged once and kicked a couple of times, but nobody tried to drown me (like the crowd at the first buoy last year). My arms got tired quick - ooo, I wonder why! I'm proud of this swim, considering my training of late. I was even able to breath every third stroke, and that's really the first time that's happened.
What would you do differently?:

This is the spot where I put that I should swim more. Yep. That would definitely help. And not start out so far to the left and have to swim so far in to the first buoy. Also, I'm thinking a wetsuit would help my time, so maybe try one of those next year. And swim more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Average T1 for me.

Bring two small towels. I hung the small towel I use to wipe off my feet at the end of my rack so I could find it better. Wiping my feet off would have been nice.
Bike
  • 41m 36s
  • 11 miles
  • 15.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I really had trouble breathing the first few miles - like serious, panting, I-can't-catch-my-breath. I think it was because of the run into T1. And last year I had to change a flat at the start of the bike, so I had time to catch my breath. BUT, NO FLAT THIS YEAR! WHOOHOO! That was my one goal for the race (besides finishing) and I did it. Yay! On that note, it was really weird to be starting out with so many people - last year I was playing catch up the entire time. So, it was pretty cool to be able to pass and be passed and not bring up the rear.

Practice run, bike, run. Not being able to breath was terrible. More hills. More practice. More bricks. More of a lot of stuff. AND, less Gatorade. It made my stomach feel weird this time. I think I'll stick to water next race. - AND, my time was about what I've been doing in practice, so not too bad.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Typical T2, except I had to make room for my bike on the rack. Frustrating, but not too time damaging. Also, I sat to pull on my socks/running shoes.

Get to the race early enough to claim a spot at the end of the rack.
Run
  • 32m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, given how little I've run lately, the best comment I can offer is that I didn't die. And, besides water stops, I only walked once, and that was up a evil, evil, killer hill up to the levy, or whatever the evil, evil hill led to. Got passed by a lot of people. Passed a couple. Wouldn't let the guy behind me pass at the end, which means I could have given more during the run.

Run more beforehand.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to people. Walked around a good bit. Played with Hunter, watched Isabella play in the kiddie pools. Ate a piece of pizza and a cookie, drank water, walked around some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That's easy! Not enough dedication to training this year. I could point back to surgery, but that was in December. I could point to work, but basically I just need to get my butt off the couch. Despite that, I was really, really happy just to be racing. Oh my goodness, it was just awesome to finish. YES! I'm very excited I did so well, considering my training. I love triathlons again!!!

Event comments:

I still love Clemson - it was my second year doing this race. The reason I gave the "lots of volunteers to help" question a no is because they were letting people through registration ONE PERSON AT A TIME. It was a freaking nightmare at the beginning. Bad on their part. Other than that, there were plenty of volunteers, but not exactly in the right places. Also, they played the national anthem AFTER the junior elites were already rounding the first buoy. That was kind of odd.

Just a note that I will definitely do this race next year, if I can. The race shirts were way cool this year! And the course is just - to me - a fun one to start the year with. It felt good to do this race.

Last updated: 2008-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:56 | 750 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 98/148
Performance: Average
Suit: tri top, shorts
Course: U-shaped
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:36 | 11 miles | 15.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/20
Overall: 109/148
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Lots of rollers, hills. I think we went in some kind of twisted circle. There were a lot of turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:34 | 03.11 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/20
Overall: 127/148
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-11 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: Clemson Triathlon

2008-05-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1395436

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Clemson Triathlon
Congratulations on your FINISH! Woo-Hoo! It was great to see you there! I'm just sorry I didn't get to spend any time talking with you afterward. I know how you feel having trouble catching your breath on the bike. I got a Heart Rate Monitor and that has really helped with training and showing me where I need to be in order to not have that trouble.

You know, NOT dying on the race course is a really good thing! Congratulations again on your finish! I look forward to seeing you again at a race soon!
2008-05-13 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great job, Steph! Keep training and you'll be kicking some serious tail in no time! (BTW, you totally need to do Acworth this year )
2008-05-13 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Sounds like you had a lot of fun - and no flats!!!  Way to go !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clemson Triathlon Rss Feed