Gulf Coast Triathlon
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 50m 8s
Overall Rank = 505/1312
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 89/169
Pre-race routine:

Set up Transition, drank a Boost at T minus 60 minutes to wave start. No pre event food (bad move). Should have had a mid sleep oatmeal.
Event warmup:

Donned the wetsuit and did some gulf swimming. Met up with some people and saw others off as different waves started. Got a picture with Sister Madonna Buder. She's a tri star, so why not.
Swim
  • 42m 43s
  • 2078 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Tough swim in a choppy gulf. Wasn't horrible OMG bad, but it was fatiging over 1.2 miles bad. I lost 5 minutes over last years swim. Mostly due to fatigue. Maybe fighting some current as well, but either way, this was how may day would turn out across the board. I just didn't have the usual energy I have going into a race. It just wasn't there. I could tell when I woke up, I could tell two days earlier, and I could tell as I did the out portion of the course.. it was not going to be a great race for me.. so I thought to myself.. just manage it, and maybe you'll 'turn on' so to speak, during the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Needs further evaluation. The more I use my wetsuit, the less I like it. I used to swear off sleeveless wetsuits. Maybe not so much anymore. Swim training could be better, but was not really THE issue. I had done enough recent events, and did them too well for that to be the case. General fatigue, which will be a common theme throughout this race report, was the number 1 factor.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

Not sure how I managed a 3:40 here. My HR was way high coming out of the Gulf, and I walked a small portion of the boardwalk to lower it. Once I got past the showers, I picked it up.. so overall, not bad.

Nothing. The transition was fine, my body was not.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Ouch.. not happy with my bike at all. This is where the humidity took it's toll on me. Conditions were tough, but I could have done much better.. but hey, theme of the day was no energy to push. Just was not there. Was not feeling it, did not have it, whatever. There are no other reasons than that. I drank too much in the first half of the bike, which goes back to not hydrating enough before the race start. Also trying to overcompensate for the humidity.

In other biking news, I put a hose clamp over my seat post clamp and tightened it. It confomred to the needed shape and held up very well. I put electrical tape over that to prevent injury. Seat held in position the whole bike. I was happy about that. Thanks to everyone who gave advice on taking care of the issue.

Nutrition. Would have used my Infinit had it been available, and would have done pre race nutrition much better. Also, should have eaten on the bike. I took two GU's, but that wasn't enough.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Time was ok, the rest was a complete failure.

Well.. where do I start. The sun was not out at this point, so I left my sunglasses in T, I also didn't have a hat or visor. I also left all my nutrition in T. Ouch. Total failure. Mental mistakes across the board.
Run
  • 2h 15m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahhh.. the run. My strength by far. All I needed to have a respectable race (for me, by me), was to run a 1:55 half.. no problem. I'll kill the run. Just ran ING in 3:23 right.. Did the run at St. Anthony's in 46 min.. right! Well, there is one constant that you MUST respect in any kind of racing, and that is the fact that the only day that matters, is today, and that the only easy day, was yesterday.

I left transition and hit a brick wall of heat. It was unbelievably hot on the run course. Within the first half mile, the clouds cleared and the sun was blazing. So for the first half of the run. there was Sun, and high humidity. Those conditions were enough to make me call off the dogs on this race at mile 2 of my run. I decided to walk all aid stations for as long as was needed to cool down enough to get to the next one. That worked, but the walks got longer and longer. Anyone who knows me, knows that I simply do NOT walk during a run. Once I gave into that, my race became just about finishing in the sub 6 hour range.

I managed the rest of my race as best I could. Saw several BT'ers et al on the course. I would say that a good 75 percent of the participants where I was on the course, were walking more than running. Although I ran more than I walked. Doesn't show in my run time, that's for sure. Every aid station became a routine. Drink ice water. Dump ice water. Get two sponges. Sip gatorade.. if gatorade was warm, dump into ice cup, then sip. That all worked well. Got me through.

Nothing. I know what I am capeable of, and this was not it. For my run to be THIS off, it had to be a hot, or otherwise bad day. I suffer pretty greately in the heat. Perhaps more than others, who knows.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk to NAMC tent where everyone was meeting up. Had some beers and some pretzals.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Heat / Humidity / Wind - Conditions.
2. Was not in the game. Was an off day after an off week.
3. Nutrition. My plan was no plan at all. I usually get it right based off of feel, this time I did not. Failure across the board with that.

Event comments:

I have to say that I am happy with my overall time. It was still 10 minutes below 6 hours, and speaking for myself, I would call anything above 6 hours a really bad day. It was tough conditions. I was not ready for the heat and humidity at all. That was the pivot element between a good race and a ok race. My run, which everyone knows is my strength, was a complete disaster. Not because I pushed on the bike. I've ridden plenty this season. Much more than last year. I was not really there physically, and had mental mistakes all over the place. I tried to make things better, but it just wasn't to be. Still, it was fun. That's never lost on me. I love the sport and lifestyle of Triathlon. I am smart enough to know this is just how it is sometimes. Best said as.. It is, what it is. No greater truth.

This race is amazing. The Volunteers.. where do I start? Trust me, there are not enough good things that can be said about them. Great, Amazing, equal to IM Wisconsin.

Also, there is also no greater value in Triathlon. Included in cost:

1. Pasta Dinner, evening before race.
2. Pizza, coke, beer, muffins, chips post race..
3. Spinnakers after party that night. Free beer. Bud light, Bud, Miller Light.. I guess what I am saying is that the free beer is not Milwaukee's Best Light!.. aka, the beast. :)

Last updated: 2008-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:43 | 2078 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 127/169
Overall: 0/1312
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: Long rectangle out and back. Out 1/2 mile. Over .2, return 1/2 mile.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:46:11 | 56 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 127/169
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: 56 miles of fun.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:15:47 | 13.1 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 82/169
Performance:
Course: Out and back, no shade, Oven set to 350.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-12 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2008-05-12 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1396302

User image

Austell, GA
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
Great Race report and thanks for all the help.  Like you always say "it is what it is".
2008-05-12 11:12 AM

User image

Master
It wasn't THE race you wanted but you did have some lessons learned from it.  Great job getting out there and seeing it through till the end.
2008-05-12 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Good job! I know not the race you wanted, nor are capable of, but that seemed to be a theme of the day. You made mistakes but over came them and still finished in a time you are happy with. That's great. We all know you are a great racer and an awesome runner..just one of those days. Nice job. You may need to look over your shoulder next race hehe.
2008-05-12 1:38 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Tough day! Knowing you though you will be back on the horse soon. That has to be one of the most brutal races I have ever done. It is an accomplishment just to finish.
2008-05-12 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I've seen your run times and I've been biking with you, so I hve total conviction you are a sub-5
half IM racer..There's just no doubt about it.

Your perpective in the face of a tough day is dead-on and you'll get what you want at the next race.

2008-05-12 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

You have to give yourself credit for course managment.  You made the vet decisions and it shown up in a sub-6 on what you would call an "off day".  Every race is an opportunity to learn as you have said many times.  You got smarter. 

I vote for the sleeveless.  I am reluctantly getting one.  I will bear the cold to have better shoulder movement.

2008-05-12 6:53 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
I'm sorry you didn't have the race you wanted but the conditions were brutal and it sounds like you are spot on with your analysis of what went on for you that day.  However, with that said, you pushed through, changed strategy when you knew you needed to and still finished with a very respectable time despite feeling off your game and dealing with the chop and then the heat.
2008-05-12 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1397864

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on the race in bad conditions. I fought the same demons, but every day cant be a great day. Good job on a solid race despite the stacked odds.
2008-05-14 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

It sounds like it just wasn't your day, like you said. With those brutal conditions and not feeling the race, I'd say you did an excellent job! It was a great boost seeing you on the run course, thanks for trying to make me run - I needed it.

You finished, you beat 6 hours, sounds like a success to me!

2008-05-15 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Great RR Ron.  I think one of your greatest strengths is to learn from what didn't work and change future race plans.  I know you'd have liked to do better, but it seems like you kept a positive outlook the entire day.  I think in many cases that harder than swimming/biking/running fast.   Good job, now sign up for Steelhead so you can crush that course with us!

2008-05-15 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

It was a HOT HOT day out there.  I didn't want to walk out there let alone race.  You made great decisions and pushed through every barrier.  That is impressive!!

Great work out there.  If you ever see me on course...I'll give you my hat or visor!!

2008-05-16 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
I think you are a little hard on yourself here. A good strong race with mixing conditions. I like your bike performance overall. Nutrition is where your answer lies. Now go out and eat something!

Congrats dude. You did good. This was a tough GC.

H.
2008-05-17 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Great race report.  Congrats on finishing a rough race!  Good thing the nutrition and mental mistakes came early in the season.  Makes us sharper for the next race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed