General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Kansas Spectators Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-05-12 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: IM Kansas Spectators
I know it's been asked before but never answered, as far as I know.

I drove the course last Monday and saw `the cross.' Because riders will be going every direction from that intersection, that leads me to believe auto traffic will be stopped completely coming in and out of the start/transition/finish area.

My family will NOT want to sit there for the start then chill for seven hours (hopefully about six, but whatever). They'd planned to see me start then take off and return for the finish.

So I don't care if they miss the start but I'd like them to be there for the finish. Will they be allowed back in to watch the finish or is it if they're not there, they're SOL?

Anybody know this or should I call the RD?

2008-05-12 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1396388

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: RE: IM Kansas Spectators

I too have wondered about the logistics of all of that. The website says the road entering the lake will close at 6:40 a.m. The way it looks to me it is going to be a major is with spectators. You might shoot the RD an email and see what he has to say. Keep us informed!

2008-05-12 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
One of the video interviews with the RD that the LJWorld posted he talked about spectators and how they should arrive for the swim and basically stay put.

The first video is a guide for spectators...
http://www2.ljworld.com/videos/sets/2008/may/05/ironman/

Something tells me that the set up of the Iron-Cross isn't going to allow for a good crowd out there. But as a participant, I totally understand and completely appreciate them wanting to keep the course clear of traffic.

We'll see how it pans out.
2008-05-12 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
I just got an email from the RD. He said they had not come to any conclusions yet, but would post the information on the IMKS website when they get it figured out.
I'm also a little concerned about participant parking...anyone know anything on that?
2008-05-12 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
I wondered about that as well. I would imagine that they'll have parking in one of the grassy field-like areas for the masses.
2008-05-12 3:55 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Welp ... so much for that plan. I guess my familia won't see me finish. I don't expect them to sit there for seven (hopefully six) hours while I play. Oh well. Maybe they can see me once at one of the turnaround points.

If that's the case, i doubt I'll do this race again, and if I do, I certainly won't invite any jockstrappers.

2008-05-12 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1397502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
mr2tony - 2008-05-12 3:55 PM

Welp ... so much for that plan. I guess my familia won't see me finish. I don't expect them to sit there for seven (hopefully six) hours while I play. Oh well. Maybe they can see me once at one of the turnaround points.

If that's the case, i doubt I'll do this race again, and if I do, I certainly won't invite any jockstrappers.

You (and everyone else for that matter) could email the race director about this issue...perhaps they could provide a shuttle or some way to get specators to/from "the cross" to start/finish. At least that would limit traffic. Let your voice be heard, if enough speak, perhaps they will listen.
2008-05-12 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1397523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
VeganMan - 2008-05-12 4:02 PM

mr2tony - 2008-05-12 3:55 PM

You (and everyone else for that matter) could email the race director about this issue...perhaps they could provide a shuttle or some way to get specators to/from "the cross" to start/finish. At least that would limit traffic. Let your voice be heard, if enough speak, perhaps they will listen.

Furthermore, the IMKS co-director Ryan Robinson lurks on this website.
2008-05-12 4:11 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Yeah I'm debating, that if spectators can't make it, to request a refund. Half the reason for doing this particular HIM vs. one in Michigan that I wanted to do was so MRS2Tony and the rest of the clan could come watch since it's close to home. I'll then sign up for the one I originally wanted to do. Because that's a bunch of bunk.

Edit: I see that there are no refunds whatsoever. Faaaaabulous.

OK Tony, calm down. Breathe in, breathe out. Wait for official word from official people. Maintain. Maaaaaintain.

Edited by mr2tony 2008-05-12 4:16 PM
2008-05-12 10:24 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
I went back to the IMKS site to try and find this but I couldn't - I remember reading somewhere they said the Iron Cross would be a great area for spectators or something along those lines. If they can't get there except by walking on the shoulder then they better learn to enjoy those 4 miles between the beach and the cross!
2008-05-13 12:14 AM
in reply to: #1398304

OK...against my better judgement I will shed some light on here before everyone's imaginations get the best of them.

Also it is hard to put into text...what is a visual thing...but I will try.

Here is what is in the works...we are trying to give spectators a way of getting out to the cross. Most likely that will be via some sort of bus/large car pool. THIS WILL ONLY HAPPEN IF WE CAN DO IT IN A SAFE MANNER THOUGH. PERIOD. We are not going to sacrifice the safety and ATHLETE RACE COURSE to satisfy the desires of spectators. I am confident that we can satisfy everyone though. The RACE COURSE is an amazing course and we do not want cars on the course muddying it up.

Cars will be able to leave the park after the last swimmer has made it out onto the bike course. However, I caution taking this approach if your family is wanting to leave the park, go to town and come back and watch you finish. While they could hit the timeline just right and everything work out fine...they could also get caught up somewhere and miss you finishing.

That is why we are trying to make the "cross-spectator-area" work. Spectators will be able to see the athletes 3-4 times.

To the original poster's question: ...about his family not being able to see him finish. I understand your thoughtfulness towards your family during the event. Believe me I think the same thing about my family when I race...that is one of the first things considered when the Bloomington Beach venue was selected...is this a family friendly venue?

Well, obviously we believe it is...and so do the 1 million+ other visitors to Clinton Lake every year...but to each there own. We would love to have your families come to the race and spend a day at the park. There will be plenty to do.

The lake offers playgrounds for the kids, beach volleyball courts, horseshoes, hiking triails, sand beach, etc...

We are working on bringing in a band to play during the bike course.

The NAVY SEALs parachute team will skydive into the event.

We have hired the Chicago Band of the Year: POI DOG PONDERING
They will play on Friday night at the Ironman expo. This will be a huge event in Lawrence.
Saturday:Rock Chalk...Run! 5k/10 for KU Basketball Coach Bill Self. Anything with KU Basketball is a huge in Lawrence! This is great way to get the spouse involved. It will be located at the Ironman expo. www.rockchalkrun.com

So I guess to wrap this novel up...nobody is saying that your family cannot watch you finish. That is a personal decision as to whether they want to stay at the transition and partake in the festivities that we are offering at the race site or catch a bus (tentative) to the cross and back. (If it was my spouse I would suggest staying at the race site rather then driving all over and hoping to make it back to catch you at the finish...but I don't know your situation)

Hopefully, your concerns have partially been addressed and that you understand that we are working feverishly (current time midnight ) on making this an incredible race.

I will update this thread as I learn more....now I have to get back to work!

No need to panic here guys.
Thanks!

2008-05-13 1:50 AM
in reply to: #1398382

User image

Extreme Veteran
rrobinson - 2008-05-13 12:14 AM

OK...against my better judgement I will shed some light on here before everyone's imaginations get the best of them.

Also it is hard to put into text...what is a visual thing...but I will try.

Here is what is in the works...we are trying to give spectators a way of getting out to the cross. Most likely that will be via some sort of bus/large car pool. THIS WILL ONLY HAPPEN IF WE CAN DO IT IN A SAFE MANNER THOUGH. PERIOD. We are not going to sacrifice the safety and ATHLETE RACE COURSE to satisfy the desires of spectators. I am confident that we can satisfy everyone though. The RACE COURSE is an amazing course and we do not want cars on the course muddying it up.

Cars will be able to leave the park after the last swimmer has made it out onto the bike course. However, I caution taking this approach if your family is wanting to leave the park, go to town and come back and watch you finish. While they could hit the timeline just right and everything work out fine...they could also get caught up somewhere and miss you finishing.

That is why we are trying to make the "cross-spectator-area" work. Spectators will be able to see the athletes 3-4 times.

To the original poster's question: ...about his family not being able to see him finish. I understand your thoughtfulness towards your family during the event. Believe me I think the same thing about my family when I race...that is one of the first things considered when the Bloomington Beach venue was selected...is this a family friendly venue?

Well, obviously we believe it is...and so do the 1 million+ other visitors to Clinton Lake every year...but to each there own. We would love to have your families come to the race and spend a day at the park. There will be plenty to do.

The lake offers playgrounds for the kids, beach volleyball courts, horseshoes, hiking triails, sand beach, etc...

We are working on bringing in a band to play during the bike course.

The NAVY SEALs parachute team will skydive into the event.

We have hired the Chicago Band of the Year: POI DOG PONDERING
They will play on Friday night at the Ironman expo. This will be a huge event in Lawrence.
Saturday:Rock Chalk...Run! 5k/10 for KU Basketball Coach Bill Self. Anything with KU Basketball is a huge in Lawrence! This is great way to get the spouse involved. It will be located at the Ironman expo. www.rockchalkrun.com

So I guess to wrap this novel up...nobody is saying that your family cannot watch you finish. That is a personal decision as to whether they want to stay at the transition and partake in the festivities that we are offering at the race site or catch a bus (tentative) to the cross and back. (If it was my spouse I would suggest staying at the race site rather then driving all over and hoping to make it back to catch you at the finish...but I don't know your situation)

Hopefully, your concerns have partially been addressed and that you understand that we are working feverishly (current time midnight ) on making this an incredible race.

I will update this thread as I learn more....now I have to get back to work!

No need to panic here guys.
Thanks!

Maybe you could hire a local farmer or two with some nice long trailers, get some hay bales and make it a hay rack ride to/from the cross! You could pull it off in Kansas

-Bripod

Edited by brynn 2008-05-13 1:50 AM
2008-05-13 9:36 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Thanks for the update. With the race only 4 weeks away, our families are starting to plan so it's great to have at least some information. We appreciate any updates you can give once the plans are solidified.

And... another question running through my mind. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat. My cheering section is coming from a 3-hour-drive away. They are not interested in leaving at 3:30 a.m. to arrive at Clinton Lake before the transition area closes, and cannot come up the day/night before.

It would be great if there was a "late spectator arrival" pick up point, providing the shuttle service happens. Like the shuttle would roll by and pick up every hour or whatever. Somewhere they could park and be bussed to whatever spectator point is being set up.

Just an idea if you really want the race to be 'spectator-friendly.'

Edited by lisac957 2008-05-13 9:45 AM
2008-05-13 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
I'm just imagining thousands of cheering fans, a-la Redman or the Des Moines Hy-Vee!!
2008-05-13 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1399136

User image

Champion
Chicago
VeganMan - 2008-05-13 10:49 AM

I'm just imagining thousands of cheering fans, a-la Redman or the Des Moines Hy-Vee!!

X2.

OK I just got off the phone with Ryan and came away with this:

He is honestly doing the best he can to accommodate everybody's needs, including those of the spectators. There will be food and a nice beach and a band and everything a healthy soul needs to pass seven (hopefully six) hours between the launch and the finish.

Ryan said it's possible that people who don't arrive before the roads close could get back in to see the finish, but they'd obviously have to wait to drive on the roads until the last bike is finished. That makes sense because, as a race, I don't want people (especially people from Kansas) driving next to me when I'm trying to race. It's not safe nor is it conducive to racers. So they run the risk of not seeing the finish because there will be traffic -- lots and lots of traffic -- coming into the beach at that time.

That said, I know for fact that MRS2Tony will not attend simply because she won't want to have to arrive before 6:30ish a.m. to get into transition before the roads are shut and she won't want to drive that far to potentially miss me finishing the race. I talked to her and she's fairly unhappy since this is my first HIM, but I'm sure she'll get over it and come to my race in September.

Here's my personal opinion on the situation: This is, to me, not a spectator-friendly event in the sense that spectators are, for lack of a better word, trapped in the transition area. There are some people (I know of at least a couple from here) who are going to jockstrap the whole race and will be THRILLED that they get to see their racer start, in T1, then four times on the bike, then in T2, then finish the race, because that's more than most tri-strappers get to see their athlete during ANY race.

But my jockstrappers aren't those type. They like that I do the sport, but they don't want to watch me do it, frankly. They don't mind seeing me start or on the course or finish, but they don't want to sit around for that many hours to wait for me to come back and finish. The plan was the missus and family would go shopping in KC while I raced, then come back and watch me finish.

So I'll chalk this up to experience. IF I do a race like this again I'll likely not invite the family because they, as with me, see a race as something like in Chicago -- where you see the racer start, go grab a bite, do a bit of sightseeing, then watch the finish. And that's not Kansas.

I hold no ill will toward the RDs or the organizers, I just know now that there are different types of triathlons, and this type is not for me. I'm going to stick to more urban events when I know my family wants to come watch.
2008-05-13 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
I think that given the fact that it's in its first year, they'll be able to use this season to gauge how to best handle the event, especially in regards to spectators, in the years to come.

Tony...on one of the course streets close to transition, there was an option to turn right where the course turned to the left...it was MAYBE a mile and a half down from transition.

want me to see if this where this road ends up when I'm out there for the camp? Granted, it may take you out toward Stull, but at least it'd be another viable option on how to navigate in and out of the central transition location...

2008-05-14 7:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
That's really too bad, especially for the race's first year. They have a golden opportunity to do it right the first time and not leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

I can guaruntee my family won't even bother if this is truly the case. Which is sad, disappointing, and frustrating becuase they are very supportive folks and will be upset they can't be there for me.

But the good news is that by the time I finish, you all will be waiting at the finish line and cheering me on. At least we have each other

2008-05-14 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1401340

User image

Expert
Chicago
lisac957 - 2008-05-14 7:35 AM

But the good news is that by the time I finish, you all will be waiting at the finish line and cheering me on. At least we have each other

So true. So true.

I'm just hoping the course doesn't close down on me.
2008-05-14 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I've had a full night to think about this and I'm really seething right now. MRS2Tony is extremely unhappy about this because I could've chosen one of 100 races to do my first HIM at which she could watch. Now because of, in my opinion, lack of consideration for casual spectators, she won't and neither will the other six people who were going to make their way over to the finish line.

I mentioned this in BT Chat last night and everybody said `If your jockstrappers don't want to stay for the whole thing then they're not good jockstrappers.' To that I countered with `How many people like to sit through a full nine-inning baseball game?' Not many said `ME! ME!' Of course people on a TRIATHLON WEBSITE are going to tout the sport as the most exciting because we know it, we love it and we can get into it. Not so for the other 99 percent of the population.

Let's face it folks, triathlon, while an extremely fun sport in which to participate, isn't exactly fun to watch. I'm a triathlete and I honestly can stand to watch about a few minutes of triathlon races before I get bored. It's nice to see the big races on TV and it fascinates me, but I still have to turn the channel after a few because it's so repetitive. I can't imagine how a non-competitor feels!!! And the race organizers didn't take into account that not everybody will want to sit inside a state park for 8 hours. Shoot we went to Hawaii and MRS2Tony couldn't sit on the beach for that long.

Really, though, I'm left with no options. I can't back out of the race because I'll lose my $200, nor do I want to, but I also want SOMEBODY to be there cheering me on at the finish line. I'll race, finish quietly (other than the screams of agony) and go home. Hopefully the next race I do will be a more casual-spectator friendly venue. Either that or I'm going to have to get divorced and marry a triathlete so she'll attend races like this.

A shame ... I'd really hoped to share this special accomplishment with the missus since we get to share so few things regularly because we live apart. When I'm looking at IM courses next year, I'll be sure to examine them closely. Because I KNOW she won't sit in one place for 16 hours.

Edited by mr2tony 2008-05-14 9:00 AM
2008-05-14 9:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
It's 4 weeks out. Is this not enough time to plan for a spectator bus? I guess I don't understand. I can understand last minute requests not being accomodated, but if you have this long to plan the logistics, what's stopping them? Cost? Charge $5 for the bus.
2008-05-14 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1401638

User image

Champion
Chicago
lisac957 - 2008-05-14 9:35 AM

It's 4 weeks out. Is this not enough time to plan for a spectator bus? I guess I don't understand. I can understand last minute requests not being accomodated, but if you have this long to plan the logistics, what's stopping them? Cost? Charge $5 for the bus.

It's not that -- the problem is there's no roads on which the bus can travel. You know since you've been there that the roads aren't exactly 10-lane superhighways. Racers will be taking up all of the roads so there's no way in our out.

I actually have an idea. I tried to call you to run it by you but you're probably doing something crazy like working or some such garbage. Anyway, I'll talk to you later about it.

2008-05-14 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
I'm guessing in the coming years (and years after that if the contract is extended) there would be a chance to see this race continue due to its difficulty. You'd have many of the "better" triathletes and area participants who's jockstrappers don't mind the 6-7hr day who would keep it viable.
I hope they can find a way to make it a specator friendly race...like when I saw that it was IMKS - Lawrence, I thought sweet, bike ride thru downtown and in the country with the run finishing on campus. But my feelings are quickly starting to change.
Are we the minority?
2008-05-14 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1401677

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
mr2tony - 2008-05-14 9:48 AM

It's not that -- the problem is there's no roads on which the bus can travel. You know since you've been there that the roads aren't exactly 10-lane superhighways. Racers will be taking up all of the roads so there's no way in our out.

I actually have an idea. I tried to call you to run it by you but you're probably doing something crazy like working or some such garbage. Anyway, I'll talk to you later about it.

Only one road in/out
2008-05-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1401686

User image

Champion
Chicago
VeganMan - 2008-05-14 9:52 AM

mr2tony - 2008-05-14 9:48 AM

Only one road in/out

Yup. Actually four to the main road, but they're all being used.
2008-05-14 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1401681

User image

Champion
Chicago
VeganMan - 2008-05-14 9:49 AM

I'm guessing in the coming years (and years after that if the contract is extended) there would be a chance to see this race continue due to its difficulty. You'd have many of the "better" triathletes and area participants who's jockstrappers don't mind the 6-7hr day who would keep it viable.
I hope they can find a way to make it a specator friendly race...like when I saw that it was IMKS - Lawrence, I thought sweet, bike ride thru downtown and in the country with the run finishing on campus. But my feelings are quickly starting to change.
Are we the minority?

I was told that we are, though I'm interested in knowing other participants thoughts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Kansas Spectators Rss Feed  

of 3