Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 15s
Overall Rank = 54/328
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/34
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before it was safe to be awake, loaded all the bikes up (mine, wife's, and friends) on the truck, and drove down to Clemson. I think I only had one eye open most of the time, but I'm not sure.
Event warmup:

Getting set up and into the wetsuit. I was roasting by the time my wave got into the water. Oh, muscular warmup? Dancing to Eminem?
Swim
  • 15m 12s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went out well, stayed smooth, and no panic. I was far enough from the melee to avoid the usual triathlon beat down. Just tried to stay smooth, streamline, and keep my rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

Put out a bit more effort. You don't ride or run with your arms, so why save them?
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

This went shockingly fast for as slow-motion as it felt. I thought I was forgetting something. Last year I almost left T1 with my helmet unbuckled, so that was on my mind. Mount and start went smoothly.

Practice multi-tasking during T1.
Bike
  • 30m 57s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.32 mile/hr
Comments:

The hills, while not killer climbs, come quickly and often in the beginning. For some reason I wasn't finding my groove. Not as bad as last year, though. I think I may have been reserving my legs for the run, or just taking advantage of the low (12-25) gears on my cassette. Still, I had some very fast sections.

Attack hills a touch harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Lost my mind for a half second and started taking my time during shoe change. Had to wake myself up and get going.

Any sub-1:00 transition is good, IMO. I do need to grab and go more, especially with visor and number belt.
Run
  • 21m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw some team mates doing well, and gave Eric a "good game" as I ran next to him. At the 1 mile mark, I said "Are you freakin kidding me? That's it?" That first mile just felt really long. And then came the wall we were supposed to run up. Olivier was at the top, suffering, so I didn't feel too bad for feeling rough. As the turn around neared, I could see where I was at relative to others. Back on the highway, a guy from my AG came up and got a few feet ahead of me. I decided to latch on and pace him, at which point he sped up to try and shake me. We ran like this for a while, and I went just past him for a bit. Then he went past me, but as we turned back into the site it was go time. He came up on my right and we entered a dead sprint. I said, "Let's go man!" and he said something like, "You got this one" and I came across 1 second ahead. Nice strong finish, much like last year's sprint finish. Still, not a fantastic overall time.

Descend the wall a bit better.
Post race
Warm down:

Pounded water and waited for Mendy to finish. Wanted to go run, but didn't want to miss her come across.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

I still would rather do most other races than this, but it's a great chance to meet a bunch of local friends. After the awards, we went to Wild Wing with friends for some wings, beers, race stories, and general unwinding. That was, by far, the best part of the race day!

Last updated: 2008-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:12 | 820 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/34
Overall: 106/328
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:57 | 11 miles | 21.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/34
Overall: 43/328
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:05 | 03.11 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/34
Overall: 51/328
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-12 12:03 PM

Regular
SC
Subject: Clemson Triathlon

2008-05-12 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1396723

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Clemson Triathlon
Holy Smokes! What a great finish! Awesome race, Bro! Way to finish strong and hang tight with that guy! It seems the bike was off for a lot of folks...the course, perhaps, but you managed a really strong bike leg, dude!

I must say, I appreciated the "good game", too! Next time, ya gotta' slap both cheeks! ;-)

Thai VERY soon!
2008-05-12 1:14 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I'll trade you bike splits Yeah, this course is an all-out, balls to the wall paced race from the get go. Short, but intense! Looks like you had a great swim. Must have been something in the air with folks being a bit off on their biking speed. Great job on the run!
2008-05-13 8:51 AM

User image

Regular
Lexington, SC
Great job beating last year's time.  That's one of your stated goals for this year if I remember correctly. From reading the reports it sounds like a challenging course and a fun race. On one hand I agree with you about the swimming, might as well go 100% and blow out the arms, especially in a Sprint. On the other hand I always repeat "Smooth is fast" in my head when I'm swimming in a race.  I think my 90% is faster than my 100% because my form starts to break down at 100%. As long as you can hold your form, you might as well nail it.  Good effort out there!
2008-05-14 11:14 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Nice job David!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clemson Triathlon Rss Feed