Gulf Coast Triathlon
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 21m
Overall Rank = 804/1312
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 38/63
Pre-race routine:

My morning started by waking up from a crazy dream..about a HIM. In my dream I was in a panic the whole time. I was late for the race because I couldn't find my wetsuit, I left all my fluids in my room, I made a stop at an old friends house (who I haven't seen in like 5 years). Glad it was just a dream. After waking up, I made oatmeal, but just forgot to eat it. Stupid. I drank some boost about an hour to start and then ate a gu 10 minutes before.
Event warmup:

I put my wetsuit on and made my way to the water. I wanted to get in and feel the compression before the start. I was worried about how small my suit was and how tight it felt. Not to mention the waves were unlike anything I've swam in. I was trying to wrap my head around just how I was going to get through this swim.
Swim
  • 1h 00m 32s
  • 2078 yards
  • 02m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yikes. I was actually "happy" with my swim given the conditions of the water. I could have swam much better than I did but I have a mental block for some reason when I get out in OW. I didn't free stroke, really, until the first orange turn buoy. I doggy paddled, back stroked, breast stroked my way out there. Surprisingly I was able to keep up with the BOP'ers in my wave for a while. I think everyone was having trouble getting out past the surf. It was interesting to say the least. It's not something I have experienced before, that's for sure. About ten minutes into the swim I could feel my time chip slipping and so I wrapped it on my wrist to ensure I didn't loose it. My neck was hurting from keeping it up the past however long so I started free stroking and I was making much better progress. DOH. Although, at this point my goggles were leaking big time and I had pools of water in my eyes. It was annoying but I just carried on. The shore got closer and closer and that was great! I didn't even think about the sharks or under water creatures the whole swim..now that is progress!!
What would you do differently?:

Defintely, just suck it up and swim. I need to get over the mental issues I have. Put my face in the water and go. I will work on that.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

Well, I think my T time is a little slower and my swim time is faster, but whatever. I stopped at the shower put my time chip back on my ankle and took my wetsuit off. Great decision. I rinsed off the salt water and then trotted to T.

Not much. I walked to the shower, but really there was no running in the sand.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great in the first 5 miles and thought this is going to be a great ride. There was little wind at this point and the sun hadn't came out yet either. I intentionally held back a little in the beginning because I didn't know how hard I could push and still be able to race the run. So I kept my pace in check. As we rode out to the turn around, I held a great pace and it was comfortable. I didn't realize I was being "pushed". I saw Deb Schum and talked to her for a minute and was waiting for Ron to pass me as well. It was fun to see everybody on the course. I took in 2 gu's on the ride and drank half of my perpetuem and a bottle of heed before the turn around. I started taking gatorade and water at the aid stations as heed wasn't tasting too good. My stomach was doing something strange, again. Started cramping and hurting a little but I forced myself to drink. After the turn around, the wind was felt head on immediately. Holy shit, it was tough. My speed dropped immediately too. At times I was holding a solid 15.5. Not good. As I made the turn on the main beach rode the wind was gusting to the left, but I was able to pick my speed back up. The damage was done at this point. As I got off my bike I knew I was going to need to adjust some things as my stomach was just not feeling good at all. Also, I needed to find a bathroom. heh.

I could have pushed harder on the way out, but I didn't want to burn out for the run so I held back.

Other than that, I did what I could. I will say I made a few observations.
1. I saw 3 seperate crashes. All involving at least 2 riders. Two of the three had paramedics.
2. The men folk, yeah. There is no reason to pass me with less than an inch between bikes. Ther's an entire lane to my left. I was riding all the way to the right yet all these guys felt the need to pass ridiculously close. It's not my fault the race director wanted to start the women first.
3. Also, when I am passing someone on the left, and you come up behind me and yell on your left, I can't go anywhere. I am already passing. So you will need to pass me on my left or wait. But don't expect me to move because there is no where for me to go.
vent over. heh.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Time is okay here, it could have been a little better given where my rack was, but still not bad.

Run faster with bike.
Run
  • 2h 12m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, obviously this wasn't my best time. Given the conditions I feel like this was a sucess. Time wise, it wasn't close to my goal but I made excellent decisions out there. My stomach had been acting up since the bike and so I stopped about 1.5 miles into the run to use the bathroom. I forced myself to drink at the stops even though it hurt. After a couple miles, I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat any gels so I made a plan. I drank water at every stop and took a cup to carry in between. I ate oranges at each stop too. I took 3 electrolyte pills around mile 4.5 and continued to drink a bunch of water. My stomach calmed down and i was able to run between each aid station. I walked through the stations..giving myself as much time as I needed but got back to running as soon as possible. The sponges were golden. All around me people were walking and having a hard time keeping cool..it was a really cool scene out there. Just knowing we were all in this together. I was having a good time despite the suffering heat. I talked to people on the run and would make jokes with people along the way. I caught up with Heather at mile 11 and it was nice to see a familiar face. The last 2 miles were tough. Mile 12 was the most difficult..I have never wanted to walk so badly. I have a rule though, no walking in the last mile of a run. It's a self impossed rule. That last mile was brutal and long.

Not walk as much, but that wasn't really an option on this day. I needed to walk the stations to cool down.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the NAMC tent. Drank a beer and ate some snacks. Cheered for the rest of the crew and fellow racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and humidity was definitely a factor. The wind on the bike slowed me down and of course the crazy waves/current of the Gukf didn't help. Otherwise, I'm not sure. I think I could have rode a little more this past winter but I'm not sure.

Event comments:

This is atop notch race. the volunteers were amazing. The best I have seen in any race. I have never done a hand off on the bike and they made it effortless. Not to mention the water/gatorade was COLD on the bike. The aid stations on the run were just awesome. Really, you could feel those people were out there to help you. They wanted to be there and were having fun too. They were well stocked with anything you could want/need. Truely an awesome experience.

With your entry fee you get a pre race dinner the Friday before, food after the race, dinner that night with free beer. I mean honestly, could you ask for anything more?

Last updated: 2008-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:32 | 2078 yards | 02m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 1251/1312
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue 70 reaction full
Course: Out, over, and back in the Gulf of Mexico.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:27 | 56 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Overall: 972/1312
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and back, some on busy roads and then mostly on a back country road. For the most part the roads were smooth but there was a section that was pretty rough.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:35 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 480/1312
Course: Out and back..big loop. NO shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-12 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2008-05-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1397090

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
Great race!  It was tough out there but you held it together for a fantastic finish.  And you had energy to drink beer that night.  I call it a success.
2008-05-12 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Great race Amy. The tone of your race report is overwhelmingly positive. Obviously you took the conditions, and made the best of them. Adjusted perfectly when needed. Yep, even the swim out to the first bouy. You did what you had to, to ensure a good race.

You did beat my run time, and I will fully acknowledge that. It's quite the accomplishment given all the variables in play.

Great job! 
2008-05-12 7:25 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
You kept moving forward on that swim, overcame the winds on the bike and dealt with the heat on the run.  Sounds like a success to me.
2008-05-12 7:32 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Really nice job out there, especially given the swim conditions!
2008-05-12 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1397924

User image

Master
Woodstock
Nice job out there, and given the conditions a stellar run! Congrats on a good race and another HIM.  Great RR.

2008-05-12 11:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
You were smokin' on the bike and run...great job...and yea, that last mile was WAY long - like 1.5mi instead of 1.1 miles!

I know what you mean on the bike...but I don't think I was passing many people - just heard "on your left" a million times...

Great job getting mentally past the swim...watching the first wave of women, where 2 girls couldn't get past the breakers before my wave went off, I knew it would be tough...it was by far the hardest swim I've ever done!!
2008-05-13 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Great Job! Was this your first half?

Congratulations - I predict really fast times in future races.
2008-05-13 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Nice race and great job! I had to do the same thing with my timing chip last year @ IMAZ, isn't that challenging when you're in the middle of an OWS?
2008-05-13 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Congrats on a great race.  It sounds like you did really well out there considering the conditions!
2008-05-14 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Awesome job! You stayed strong out there when most of us (me!!) completely fell apart. That's extremely impressive (plus you beat Ron on the run. ). Congratulations on a awesome race!

2008-05-14 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Very inspiring race report! Way to hold it together after the GI issues. : )
2008-05-15 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Awesome race Amy!!!  You looked great when I saw you on the course,
way to keep a positive attitude the whole day!  The conditions were tough, but you definitely stayed strong! 
2008-05-15 1:16 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Helpful hint...safety pin your velcro strap on your timing chip. I had the same problem at PTC a couple of years ago and actually lost my chip.

Great race and a really good run split under the circumstances.

2008-05-15 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Yep. The Lance Wannabee's were a bit annoying. I like the guys who ride down against the yellow and don't move over when I yell. And I want to stress GUYS!

Great job. Your run killed me. How 'bout some training tips next time? See you at TNR.

Congrats.

H.

...what's with the chatting on the bike? Is that USAT sanctioned?
2008-05-16 6:14 PM

User image

wow! way to go amy!

2008-05-17 9:33 AM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Way to hang in there during the OWS. I've only done one OWS and had a rough time once the next wave caught me. Good job!
2008-05-26 6:14 PM

New user

Nice job Aimter,  A good friend of mine fought through it with you.  He was a competitive college swimmer and added 5 minutes to his normal Him swim. 

I recently learned the reason for the close passing other than being rude.  During a bike fit my fitter told me that when pack riding on  long training rides.  When I drop off the front to slide back along the other riders as close as possibe safely.  There is a draft advantage along side of other riders.  Some tri guys are hard core bikers and are comforatable that close.  As you, I would rather have the space.

The reason other riders say "on your left" when passing is usualy because they are letting you know they will be on your left so you don't pop out into them.  Not always meaning get out of the way.

Way to stay tough !!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed