Gulf Coast Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 28m 26s
Overall Rank = 908/1312
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 42/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:30AM, showered to wet my hair (to make braiding easier), dressed, sunscreened, and PBB waffle. Set up transition fairly quickly, hit the bathroom in Boardwalk hotel, wetsuit on, and out to stare at the ocean. Maybe if I look at it long enough, it will calm down more?
Event warmup:

Yea right - tried to keep calm and not panic.
Swim
  • 43m 8s
  • 2187 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the part of the race I was dreading most - I realized the week of the race I wished I had swam more. Started out with the focus of making it through the waves. Tried to dive through them like Kirk had showed me, landed the wrong way on my ankle a little hard at one point (it didn't hurt during the race, only the next few days), but kept going and finally got past what I thought was the rough part. It never smoothed out though, huge swells (worse than the bad year at St As a few years ago). You couldn't see the buoys at all unless you sighted at the top of a swell, which was tough for me to time.

Had a hard time with the OWS mentally - I really started to "see" things in the water, sure that every shadow was coming after me. I had to focus on staying calm and couldn't get my mind to focus on anything else for very long. On the way back in, I really did see something - jellyfish. I felt a sharp quick pain on my wrist first, then saw them under me. If it had been possible, I would had jumped out of the water right then - my HR spiked here for sure! I just tried to swim as fast a physically possible until I couldn't see them any more. I felt a few more stings (or just in my head?) and then finally they stopped.

Finally, we were almost back to shore and I was relieved to have made it that far. Close to the end, although I'm trying to swim forward, you can see the ocean floor and I'm going backward - argh! Finally, I got to the beach, looked at my watch and was psyched - how in the world am I out early?! Apparently fear is a good motivator for me. :)

HR: 150 Avg/184 Max
What would you do differently?:

Swim somewhere calmer and with less scary things in it!
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Couldn't run right out of the water, tried to let my HR calm a bit and then started jogging. Ran through the sprinklers which really helped by just jogging through them. Crossed through the transition straight to my rack (thanks Rebecca) and tried to kep moving as fast as possible.

HR: 178 Avg/185 Max
AG: 25/63

I think this was good, based on the size of transition.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to start out comfortable, not push too hard. I didn't want to work too hard and then fade at the end, so I tried to keep my HR a little on the lower end of scale. Peeled my 5hour energy off the top tube (electrical tape) and downed that as best I could with minimal spillage within the first few miles. Noticed my stomach wasn't sitting quite right, tried to drink lots of water to settle out the salt water I most likely drank. At the turnaround, I was not happy to feel the stiff headwind - no! I tried to focus on my effort level and ignore the dropping numbers on my bike computer. I kept thinking, of course this will go away eventually (which it didn't). My stomach felt a little upset the whole ride, but was able to drink water/perpetuem on schedule as planned.

I was happy enough at the finish - sub 3 hours on the bike and only slightly behind schedule.

HR: 161 Avg/178 Max

I think I would have started out a little faster, knowing that the winds would slow me down so much later. Although - maybe that would have worn me out even more for the run...
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Had a little shaky dismount, my feet were a asleep (had sandy/rocky feet in the shoes, so I was trying not to move them much, which caused them to fall asleep). That did make it a little tricky to land on the dismount, but it worked out okay. Had a little trouble balancing to put on my socks and running shoes, but it was cool because I heard Kirk and other NAMC peeps yelling my name and cheering me through transition - felt a little like a pro.

Grabbed my stuff and took out of transition.

AG: 9/63

I'm very happy with this one - ahead of schedule!
Run
  • 2h 43m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Wheels not only came off here, they rolled out into the next town! First mile or two was good - right around planned pace of 9min/mile. Then, my stomach started to feel gross on top of my legs feeling tired (although I guess the tired legs were normal). Tried to have an orange and some cold water, but it just keep getting worse. Back to my old problems then, stomach too upset to run for long. Honestly, I think I have to admit I gave up a little as I watched my pace slip slower and slower with more and more walking.

I really tried to give myself a positive pep-talk - you're doing good, keep moving forward, blah-blah-blah. Tried a 4 minute run, 1 minute walk for a while, but I couldn't keep that up.

After the park of desolation, I actually felt a little better and was able to run for a while. Did my distraction thing by trying to cheer on others, which worked okay for a while. Found a girl to run with for a mile or so and dropped my average pace back down to 12min overall, but I started to feel bad again and couldn't keep it up. Walking really kills the pace!!

I lived for the aid stations - especially the ice water and the sponges - sponges ROCK!! I watched my 6 hour time goal disappear pretty quickly, then went 6:10, 6:25, 6:20 - frustrating. Just happy to finish by the end.

HR: 146 Avg/201Max

I have no idea - back to square one. I ran a 1:54 HM at the end of March, this was almost 4 minutes slower per mile!! Guess I'm back to looking at nutrition again.
Post race
Warm down:

After the finish line, I sat on the curb for a few minutes and just tried to breathe and digest what had just happened. Reluctantly walked over to the club tent, where I knew everyone would be incredibly supportive (as they were), but I was so darn disappointed in myself. I did not train for a 6:30 HIM, I trained for a 6:00 race - really! I know it was hot and humid, I know I run better in cooler temps, but this can't happen again. I will figure out how to fix this and I'll crush it next time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, humidity, nutrition?, something else?

Event comments:

The activities surrounding the race were fantastic - tons of events to entertain, volunteers were the best anywhere, ton of support and options at all the aide stations. Wonderful race, but with the extreme conditions (water, temps, humidity, wind), I can't imagine I'll do this one again. Too early in the season with no oppportunity to train for those variables.

Last updated: 2008-02-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:08 | 2187 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/63
Overall: 63/1312
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out and back in the choppy Gulf Coast ocean.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:56:59 | 56 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/63
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and back, some rough roads, lots of wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:43:55 | 13.1 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/63
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back through neighborhoods and around the park of desolation.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-12 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2008-05-12 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1398037

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
You ran a tough race in tough condtions, and still improved on your previous HIM time. You gutted out a tougher race and came out with a PR. We all suffered. Learn from this and take it out on the next one. Congrats on a great race and yet another PR!
2008-05-12 8:54 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
You really did a great job. We all suffered on that run, you did better than most. Pat yourself on the back!
2008-05-12 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
You're an amazing athlete, Heather and I know you can (and will!) crush your time goal. The conditions sounded rough and you did great to finish! I have a feeling you'll take lots of lessons away from this race and it will help in future races. Congrats on finishing another HIM!
2008-05-12 11:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
You did a REALLY great job!! Your swim time was AWESOME!! Your bike with that headwind for the last half was great...and geez, considering what your stomach was doing, that run was very impressive too!!

Enjoy your accomplishment, you did a great job - CONGRATULATIONS!!
2008-05-12 11:58 PM
in reply to: #1398337

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

Good job overall.  Too bad about your run.  It does not take away from the fact that you are fast.  The Jellyfish part was interesting.  There were tons of jellyfish at the turtle crawl, but I did not get stung.  They were a bit disconcerting though because I could not tell what I was hitting until the very end of the race.

2008-05-13 6:26 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Those were tough conditions and under the circumstances you did great. This race is always a challenge due to when it takes place. Keep it in perspective though you PRed!!!! That is a great accomplishment, you will get your revenge at Steelhead.
2008-05-13 6:50 AM

User image

Master

You are an amazing person.  You have come a long way as a triathlete and still have many PRs in your future.  Think about the things you had under your control (hint: it's not water conditions, heat, humidity, sun, etc.) and improve on them for Steelhead.

You had an AWESOME race given the conditions.

2008-05-13 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
I can't even fathom how difficult it must have been out there, every time I read somthing about the race I get a better picture of just how tough the conditions were.  Despite all of that you PRd!!  I know it's not the time you wanted but it was a great race none the less.  I'm extremely impressed.
2008-05-13 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
yucky jellyfish!!  sounds like a huge mental challenge and you still finished.  nice work!
2008-05-13 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on a PR! I know you are disappointed..but you pulled through and had a great race. Your best race ever (at this distance) Your swim and bike times are great. Shows all the work you've been doing. It was a tough day, so don't be too hard on yourself. Great job girl!

2008-05-13 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Well done and congratulations on the finish!
2008-05-13 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
I think it's great how you end your report saying you're going to figure out out and crush the next one.  That's really great perspective, Heather.  You really hung in there for this race and that is very admirable.  Congrats
2008-05-13 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Don't let your performance at GC influence your opinion of how far you have come as a Triathlete in any way. Those who had good performances that day were few and far between. Most of us were just wilted by that heat on the run. All of us know how far you have come. Keep up the great training, and attack the next race as best you can.

You'll be back to GC. Some year down the road. Call it revenge, call it whatever, but you'll be back.
2008-05-13 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA

I know that your run was tough, but man, after hours spent in the water & on bike, you did a fantastic job completing the race!  Congratulations on your PR and I know that you are going to crush your next race with vengeance!  Reading your RR was really motivating (and I need it!)

2008-05-14 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Just reading about the jellyfish made me squirm in my chair. OW!

Your swim and bike were awesome and it sounds like the run was just a fuel issue. Maybe Perpetuem is too harsh - have read about others having that problem. I know you didn't go as fast as you've trained for, but you did a great PR. You will crush this race next time. : )

2008-05-15 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
I know you are a little bummed about your race, but you did awesome!  It's easy to write down times on paper, but you just never know what will happen on race day.  There was something hard about EVERY part of this race(except for transitions maybe)- rough water, wind and heat.  We knew that could happen, but how do you prepare?  Don't let this race get you down, you PR'd, and you learned from the day.  If every race wasn't a challenge, it wouldn't be worth the countless hours we spend training! 
2008-05-16 6:32 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations, Heather!  I'm sorry it wasn't the race you wanted; unfortunately there are always things beyond your control on race day like rough water, headwinds, heat but you dealt with all of those things and still managed a PR. 
2008-05-16 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey! You did great. Early season big races give us great data to figure out what we have to do for late season PR's! The run caught up to a lot of us. Good report. Maybe we'll see you later this summer. Congrats.

H.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed