General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bryce Canyon and Zion Cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-13 5:02 PM

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Bryce Canyon and Zion Cycling
I'm looking to escape from Vegas for a couple weekends and do some training while taking in the beauty of Southern Utah.

I've looked around a little but would rather get the info from people who know because I'm not familiar with the areas.

What are the cycling possibilities in these two parks? How is the terrain? Is it possible to get in some quality 60-70 mile rides in that would be simply climbing up and down the canyons? I don't mind climbing but I'm not looking to only go out and climb on my vacation.

Thanks for your help.

2008-05-14 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1400502

User image

In the Shadow of Timpanogos
Subject: RE: Bryce Canyon and Zion Cycling
I was just in Zion this past weekend after the SGTRI, and it is a great place to ride.The canyon itself is not too long, but when you get into the area where it is shuttle bus only, there is very little traffic and the road is mostly yours. If you want to ride from one side of the park to the other, or even into Mt. Carmel Junction, it is about a 24 mile ride, but you will have to arrange for transport through through Mt. Carmel tunnel in the park, as they do not allow bicycles to ride through the tunnel. The switchbacks on the way up to the tunnel will offer you plenty of great climbing. On the North end of the park is the Kolob Canyon area of Zion, which is just a scenic drive, very little traffic and VERY beautiful.

Bryce is also great, about 4000 feet higher in elevation than Zion, but great wide open roads; lots of traffic though.. The highway leading to the park goes through Red Canyon and is very scenic with a sizeable incline. The whole area is amazing, you cant go wrong anywhere you end up!

Edited by utahredrocks 2008-05-14 1:42 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bryce Canyon and Zion Cycling Rss Feed