General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alcatraz group practice swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-13 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Alcatraz group practice swim

I'm doing the Escape from Alcatraz race in a little less than a month, and I've found a group that offers clinics and practice swims in the bay (www.waterworldswim.com).  So now for the questions:

1. I'm curious if anyone's ever tried any of Water World's clinics or crossings - it looks like it's a pretty well-established group with regular sessions and a handful of experienced instructors/guides.  Or perhaps there's an even better group out there?

2. There are two Water World options that seem like they'd be useful for Escape: a) the $20 clinic on Thursday 6/5 at 6pm that takes 100 people or b) the $125 clinic on Friday 6/6 or Saturday 6/7 at 6:30am that only has 12 slots.  Option (a) seems like you only splash around near the end of the triathlon swim course (with seemingly tons of other people) while Option (b) puts you on a boat with seemingly a longer course and more intimate attention from the instructors/guides.  I'm curious out of the people who may be familiar with this group, which would be a better preparation for the race - independent of the cost.  Shoot, the race is already $$$, I'd rather be best prepared and spend the extra $105 if it's worth it.

3. Any BT'ers up for either clinic? 

2008-05-13 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1400660

Monterey Park, CA
Subject: RE: Alcatraz group practice swim
Hmmm this sounds like just what i need.

I was in the water this past sunday and im nowhere as ready as i need to be. i'd be interested in the saturday swim as that's the only one i'm available for.

thanks for the tip.
2008-05-13 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
The ATL
aestritx - 2008-05-13 6:52 PM

I'm doing the Escape from Alcatraz race in a little less than a month, and I've found a group that offers clinics and practice swims in the bay (www.waterworldswim.com). So now for the questions:

1. I'm curious if anyone's ever tried any of Water World's clinics or crossings - it looks like it's a pretty well-established group with regular sessions and a handful of experienced instructors/guides. Or perhaps there's an even better group out there?

2. There are two Water World options that seem like they'd be useful for Escape: a) the $20 clinic on Thursday 6/5 at 6pm that takes 100 people or b) the $125 clinic on Friday 6/6 or Saturday 6/7 at 6:30am that only has 12 slots. Option (a) seems like you only splash around near the end of the triathlon swim course (with seemingly tons of other people) while Option (b) puts you on a boat with seemingly a longer course and more intimate attention from the instructors/guides. I'm curious out of the people who may be familiar with this group, which would be a better preparation for the race - independent of the cost. Shoot, the race is already $$$, I'd rather be best prepared and spend the extra $105 if it's worth it.

3. Any BT'ers up for either clinic?

I used to live in SF and swam w/Pedro and my husband did Escape many years ago. Pedro is the guy who runs waterworld swim. He and his instructors are EXTREMELY experienced about the bay and the tides/currents/ebbs etc. I wouldn't even think about doing Escape without doing a practice swim w/Pedro.

As far as your options go, #1 sounds like more of a meeting and swim at Aquatic Park, which you can swim in for free (and I'd suggest doing too.) But I'd pony up for the $105 for sure. It will be worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Edited by bboston88 2008-05-13 7:23 PM
2008-05-13 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

bboston88 - 2008-05-13 7:22 PM  I used to live in SF and swam w/Pedro and my husband did Escape many years ago. Pedro is the guy who runs waterworld swim. He and his instructors are EXTREMELY experienced about the bay and the tides/currents/ebbs etc. I wouldn't even think about doing Escape without doing a practice swim w/Pedro. As far as your options go, #1 sounds like more of a meeting and swim at Aquatic Park, which you can swim in for free (and I'd suggest doing too.) But I'd pony up for the $105 for sure. It will be worth it. GOOD LUCK!!!

Honestly, I really figured that the $125 one was the better bet, but I wanted to make sure that one wasn't some touristy "cruise out and splash in the Bay" and that the only added expense was gas or something?  Thanks for the input!  Now to figure out which day - I think I may be with you, rookie, about Saturday versus Friday.
2008-05-14 8:32 AM
in reply to: #1400781

User image

Veteran
The ATL
aestritx - 2008-05-13 7:33 PM

bboston88 - 2008-05-13 7:22 PM  I used to live in SF and swam w/Pedro and my husband did Escape many years ago. Pedro is the guy who runs waterworld swim. He and his instructors are EXTREMELY experienced about the bay and the tides/currents/ebbs etc. I wouldn't even think about doing Escape without doing a practice swim w/Pedro. As far as your options go, #1 sounds like more of a meeting and swim at Aquatic Park, which you can swim in for free (and I'd suggest doing too.) But I'd pony up for the $105 for sure. It will be worth it. GOOD LUCK!!!

Honestly, I really figured that the $125 one was the better bet, but I wanted to make sure that one wasn't some touristy "cruise out and splash in the Bay" and that the only added expense was gas or something?  Thanks for the input!  Now to figure out which day - I think I may be with you, rookie, about Saturday versus Friday.

It's absolutely not touristy, you'll be glad you did it. He's the guru of Alcatraz swims. Everyone I know who's done Alcatraz has trained with Pedro. Get your neoprene cap ready and I'm excited to read your race report!
2008-05-14 9:18 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

I've also done the swim with Pedro at Water World and it was a great experience just being able to swim in the bay like that.

You'll even get some photos out of it.  Highly recommended!

2008-05-14 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

I did Escape from Alcatraz last year, and I was planning on doing the cheaper clinic before something came up and I wasn't able to make it. So, I just went to Aquatic Park the day before the race and swam for 20 minutes or so just to prepare my face and body for the cold water. This practice swim was my 4th ever ocean swim and 4th ever swim in water < 65 degrees! I'm not strong swimmer, and obviously in-experienced in the ocean. I was pretty nervous jumping off that boat, but the swim turned out great and was my favorite part of the race. It's really not that bad. I think I was actually colder in the practice swim than the actual race!

My recommendations:

1. By all means, if you can afford it, do one of the clinics. But I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have a good race swim even for a bad, inexperienced swimmer like me!
  2. DO attend the pre-race meeting the day before and listen closely to the swim gurus as they will have just swam the bay the day before and know how strong/weak the currents are and will tell you how to sight on the course. Invaluable.
  3. Don't stress too much! It only feels like about 1 mile b/c you're moving w/ the current. Have fun and enjoy the unforgettable experience of swimming in SF bay. I stopped about 3-4 times and did a 360 in the water to check out the race water-level views of the GG bridge, SF skyline, and Alcatraz itself. Simply amazing, and the highlight of the whole race.

2008-05-14 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1401594

User image

Expert
enginerd - 2008-05-14 7:18 AM

I've also done the swim with Pedro at Water World and it was a great experience just being able to swim in the bay like that.

You'll even get some photos out of it.  Highly recommended!

Hey... how are you going to avoid being noticed by the guards if you're wearing an orange swim cap? Real escapees would wear dull silver swim caps or black swim caps to look like seals
Nice pic ....
2008-05-14 2:53 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
BTW, there are some hardcore alcatraz crossers who do that swim with Pedro.  There's the alcatraz 100 group (100 crossings) and those are the folks who are typically doing this sans wetsuit.  All of us tri wimps were in full wetsuits, neoprene caps of course!
2008-05-14 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I did the Thursday night clinic last year and it was absolutely invaluable. I would recommend it to anyone. It was tough, but race day felt so much easier. It prepares your body for the water temp, chop, current, salt water (if you don't get to swim in that at home, which I don't), etc. And they gave really great advice. For $20 you can't beat it.

I'm actually doing the race again this year. My mom got in as well. We both signed up for the Thursday night clinic. If you decide to do that one let me know and maybe we can meet up before it starts.
2008-05-14 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Thanks for all the tips!  I'm definitely going to register for a clinic, and based on my flight in, it will likely be the Friday or Saturday am swim.  Sounds like Pedro's group is top-notch, so I'm really looking forward to it!  Hopefully I'll see some of y'all out there - we should plan a meet up at some point.  It being my first time doing this race, I'm not sure what the best time to do so would be, but at least somewhere race morning or at the pre-race meeting!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alcatraz group practice swim Rss Feed