United States
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 18m 26s
Overall Rank = 2089/4725
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 214/333
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:30am. Ate a small bowl of oatmeal and a small bowl of Cheerios. I ate a banana about 30 minutes before race time and a gel just as the race was beginning. Drank a Diet Coke and water on the way down.

Everything was laid out and/or packed up, so it didn't take me long to get ready. Drove down to pick up my brother who of course was still sleeping. To his credit, he woke up and was ready in about 5 minutes. We were early and still had time so I wasn't worried. He has a knee injury, so was just there as my support crew. He biked around the course taking photos and cheering me on, thanks for being there bro!

We arrived downtown around 5:45am or so and parked for $5 down near the Bengals stadium. I got myself all lubed up and race ready and then we walked over to the start area. Met up with my friends Pat, Jeff, and Denise at the 4:30 pace group. My goal was to go under 4:30. I did the Disney marathon in January in 4:38, so I hoped to improve. I thought it would be great to go under 4:22 (10 min/mile) but really I wasn't even thinking about it because I didn't think I would be even near it. This is a hillier course, so I just figured "no way".
Event warmup:

No real warmup but did some light stretching and walking around. I peed in the woods about three times. The race ran about 20 mins late due to them having to reroute a portion of the course around mile 20 due to a large structure fire. This added .2514 miles to the course. So much credit goes to the race organization for making this change at the last minute. It didn't turn out to be much of a problem at all. I'd rather the race go a bit long than be cut short. --So anyway, during all this waiting, I just chatted and tried to stay loose.

The weather was about 48F degrees for the start and ended up around 63F. It was absolutely perfect marathon weather. The last few miles actually felt a bit warm but never very uncomfortable.
Run
  • 4h 18m 26s
  • 26.45 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The gun finally went off and it took us about five minutes to get to the starting line. I would begin the run with Pat, Jeff, and Denise. Pat is a long time friend and the others are friends from a running group that I run with occasionally. Jeff wasn't sure if he'd run the whole thing or just the half as he'd run marathons the previous two weekends. I purposely tried to pay attention to some of the details of the race along the way because I forgot so much from the Disney marathon. Unfortunately, I can't really remember that much, so I'll just do the best I can.

Miles 1-5 went over into KY then back to OH and into downtown Cinti. I remember seeing a couple of the bands along the way and seeing my brothers bandmate in another band. I took water or gatorade from every aid station. I wasn't really thirsty but I wanted to stay on top of things and drink at least a little every mile. Pretty sure I drank from every single aid station. I may have skipped one. I'd usually rotate one water then the next gatorade. I took GU gels approx every 5 miles with water.

Around mile 5-6 is where the hills start. I knew they were coming from doing the half last year. I had to pee and wanted to find a spot before having to get up the hills. I peed my one and only time under some old set of stairs. Only took a few seconds and I never had to go again. The hills were tough but I felt really good and just took short but fast steps. The crowd going up Gilbert Ave and onto Eden Park Dr was insane! They were so motivating! I saw my bro and Dad on that hill which of course was a big pick-me-up. We got into Eden Park and there was a spot with a pretty big choir singing and a curve overlooking the Ohio River. It was a spectacular view. Around mile 8.5 is where the half and full split. Jeff was pondering whether to continue on or just head back in with the half. I knew he'd keep going so I was shocked when he said his goodbyes and parted ways. Shortly after the split there were some downhill sections and I remember Denise, Pat, and I picking up the pace trying to pick up some time. A few minutes into it I turned and noticed Jeff back with us. I knew he couldn't resist finishing his third marathon three weeks in a row! It was about a mile before Denise or Pat noticed him. At mile 10.5 I saw some work friends who'd made signs for me. I knew they'd be there so I was looking for them. Another huge boost! After that was the Hyde Park area. Packed with crazy marathon cheering people. I don't remember which mile that was but I bet it was a fast one.

I think it was sometime around mile 12-14 that Jeff and Denise started to break away from Pat and me. I was still feeling really good but I already thought I was going too fast too early and I figured I'd be paying for it later. When those two picked up the pace, Pat and I stayed where we were. Those mid/late teen miles all seem like kind of a blur. I remember the crowd support in Mariemont and Fairfax was just great. There was a long out and back section and some short but steep hills.

Around mile 17-18 we hit a stretch of highway where we ran on the shoulder. It was beginning to get hot and this was a boring stretch. By this time we'd lost sight of Jeff and Denise. I feel like this is the section that makes or breaks you in this marathon. I didn't give in though, Pat and I picked it up and were putting in some solid splits here. There was a Parrot Head themed aid station here that was really working hard and motivating people.

We went down an exit ramp and then onto Eastern Ave for the last 10K home. Once again, these miles are somewhat foggy. I just remember trying to stay strong mentally. I looked at the picture of my kids that I still had from the Disney marathon with my inspirational quotes on the back. I added a few to it for this one. My mantra was "you can quit and no one will care, but you will always know". I must've repeated that one in my head a hundred times.

Around mile 21 is where I saw my bro again on his bike. He gave me a banana which I was dying for. I was getting hungry for some solid foods. I had orange slices at two different areas which hit the spot as well. Jake took some good vids and kept us motivated. Around mile 22 we needed a quick walk. I wanted to get going again but Pat wasn't ready so he told me to go on. I knew I was on pace to break 4:30 with ease, but I was pretty sure at this point I could even get 4:22 as long as I didn't blow up. I forged on by myself at this point. I can remember passing what seemed like hundreds of people. I was still running strong and many people were walking or running very slowly. The feeling of passing people was motivating me and I just wanted to keep going.

I saw my Dad one more time around mile 24. Of course I was tired but it was nothing like I felt at this point in my other marathon. I knew I could finish strong. There was one last hill I did walk a portion of somewhere around 23-24. At mile 25.2 they have a timing mat to time your final mile to the finish. It was a 9:06 which was my fastest mile of the race. I missed a negative split by about 1 or 2 minutes.

The finish line snuck up on me a bit. I saw the 26 mile marker but I knew there was some extra mileage on the race somewhere due to the fire detour, so I just assumed it would be at the end. Then all the sudden I see "Finish Swine" up ahead. I was running down the chute and there were people everywhere going crazy! My brother had managed to climb up on top of something and screamed out to me so I could see him. I threw my hands in the air a few times and came across the line with a time of 4:18:26. What a race! A marathon PR by more than 20 minutes and it was a quarter mile longer. On the Pig website they have a calculator to figure out your 26.2 mile time, mine would've been 4:15:59. With that I better my min/mile average by 52 seconds per mile! Crazy! I came in about 3-4 mins behind Jeff and Denise and about 4 mins ahead of Pat who also had a marathon PR.
What would you do differently?:

I can't think of really anything that I could've done differently. I literally feel like I ran about as perfect a race as I am capable of. To make major improvements, I'd have to make major training improvements and, well... there's only so much time in the day.
Post race
Warm down:

I waited at the finish for Pat to come in. Then we went and got our medals and a bit of food and looked for Jeff and Denise. None of the food sounded that appetizing to me and I rarely eat right after a race. We just talked and looked around for the others and waited for another friend, Chad. Found my Dad and bro and we finally left the finish area and met everyone outside. I tried to stretch out as best as I could which felt pretty good. I looked all over for some bags of ice but could not find any. As it turned out my knees never got sore anyway, so I was okay without it. After the race I went over to Jake's and showered up then went to his friends house for the baby shower. I was a bit tired but still pretty geeked about my finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, I went as fast as I could.

Event comments:

The Flying Pig Marathon is the best race I have ever been involved in! Bar none! I felt like everything is done to support the average runner, guys like me. The crowd support is unparalleled... even better than the Disney marathon which was great. As long as the Flying Pig is around and I am capable of running it, I will be there! They have found a customer for life.

Last updated: 2008-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
04:18:26 | 26.45 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 214/333
Overall: 2089/4725
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 10:21, Mile 2 - 9:04, Mile 3 - 10:56, Mile 4 - 9:39, Mile 5 - 9:41, Mile 6 - 9:56, Mile 7 - 10:13, Mile 8 - 9:40, Mile 9 - 9:23, Mile 10 - 9:18, Mile 11 - 9:16, Mile 12 - 9:34, Mile 13 - 9:35, Mile 14 - 9:27, Mile 15 - 9:39, Mile 16 - 9:51, Mile 17 - 9:34, Mile 18 - 9:16, Mile 19 - 10:02, Mile 20 - 9:49, Mile 21 - 9:53, Mile 22 - 10:07, Mile 23 - 10:09, Mile 24 - 9:59, Mile 25 - 10:43, Mile 26 - 11:19, Mile 26.2 - 1:53. Chip Splits: Mile 6.8 - 1:08:36, Mile 12 - 1:58:08, Mile 13.1 - 2:07:43, Mile 19.7 - 3:10:23, Mile 25.2 - 4:09:20. High Endurance Mile to the Finish - 9:06
Course: The course is a loop course that begins in downtown Cincinnati, then goes over the Ohio river into Kentucky and back. There is a long hill from about miles 5-8 which is tough. The crowd support there was just amazing! Then it winds out through Hyde Park to Mariemont and Fairfax and back up Eastern Ave to the finish in front of the stadiums on the river banks. I've heard this race described as a VERY hilly course which I think is overrated. Don't get me wrong, there are some tough sections especially in miles 5-8, but mostly the hills are rolling. Maybe I'm used to it being from the Cinti area, but I didn't think it was that hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes