Runner's Soul
5C / 41F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 46m 32s
Overall Rank = 33/79
Age Group = M50-59
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

I had been planning to just ride my bike there, but got Leanne to drive me at the last minute because it was raining. I set up with everything in a big plastic garbage bag though it wasn't raining right then. Got body marked and, 1st time, they had timing chips for the tri this year. The pre race meeting was in by the pool.
Event warmup:

I had a gel (latte flavor, with 2x caffeine), a few sips of water, and jumped in the pool. Warm up was a couple of laps, building a bit towards the end.
Swim
  • 29m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The lane seemed crowded. I think we were bunched up because everyone wanted to draft, not lead. I saw, and participated in, some jockeying for position during the first few laps. At one point I pulled out to pass the only two ahead of me but seemed to be working too hard to make it worthwhile so I settled back into line and practically had a nap for the rest of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Bit of a run from the pool out to the transition area in a parking lot. Saw my wife on the way. I pulled out a towel to wipe my feet and stand on while I got my socks and shoes on. It was raining again, very lightly, so I wore my jacket too but I put it over my race number belt. Didn't realize that until after I was riding.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 31s
  • 40 kms
  • 30.96 km/hr
Comments:

First trick was pulling the race number down so it would show beneath the jacket behind me. I had another gel w/caffeine early in the ride. It was raining on and off for most of the ride. There was also a bit of crosswind. At least this year I had a jacket on and, with gloves and a helmet liner, was warm enough while pedaling. In fact, I was pushing a bit harder than I had intended to help stay warmer. One of the local cyclists that I know passed me on the way out to the turn around, like he did last year. I was really surprised when I passed him back again during the return leg. The rain finally quit before we got back to town.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Since the rain had quit, the jacket went in the bag. I considered fresh socks but decided to just go with the wet, muddy pair I had on. I did grab the newer and more comfortable running shoes though, saving the older flats for after the race.
Run
  • 55m 25s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Weather cleared and the sun peaked through but it was still cool enough to run comfortably. I walked to drink at the first aid station by T2 and at a few others later in the run. I just tried to keep up a steady pace but was pushing it a little. The cyclist I had re-passed caught me half way down the hill. Refering to the cold ride, he called out "First one to get blood back in their feet wins", as he flew by.

I'm used to seeing lots of people I know catch up and pass me during the run but this year I'm hoping to hold them off a bit better. Compared to my age group, running is still my weakest link. However, it's also where I've made the biggest gains since last year.

A little way back from the turn around, Mike was on his way out and yelled something about "... go get him!". I didn't understand him then but he was telling me that the guy in third place in our age group was just ahead of me. I don't know if I could have caught him though even if I had known. I ran most of the hill but decided I could walk faster than I was running for the last bit to the top. There wasn't much left for a finishing kick.
What would you do differently?:

I'll have to learn to watch the body markings on an out & back so I know what position I'm in. It really never occured to me before that I should be concerned about my age group placing during a triathlon.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of food available and I tried to take care of at least my share. My wife Leanne and I cheered as Trudi, Lesley and a bunch of other familiar faces finished. I used the university pool showers to clean up and change into fresh clothes before the awards. The sun was out so they did the awards and give-aways out on the steps with lots of room for everyone to sit if they wanted. I heard Lesley's name called for an age group medal but they must have left too soon. The rain was barely starting again just as the awards finished up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My wife doesn't like the idea but I think I could stand to lose some more weight.

Event comments:

Over 10 minutes faster than last year, and most of that on the run, so I'm very happy.

Last updated: 2008-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:35 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 31/79
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50m pool, circling 12 per lane with different colored caps, :05 sec start intervals
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:31 | 40 kms | 30.96 km/hr
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 24/79
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back, fairly flat road but one rail overpass to climb and a few gently rolling grades. Another level rail crossing further out; not bad but I always worry about flatting on it.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:25 | 10 kms | 05m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 43/79
Performance: Good
Course: Out & back course dropping into the river valley a short distance from the start. 300 ft elevation gain climbing out to finish too. Path winds through parkland in the river bottom Some other small climbs to the tunnel under Whoop Up Drive and to the bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes