General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Dries Out My Hands Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-17 2:26 AM

Expert
Subject: Swimming Dries Out My Hands
Hi,

as the title suggests, my hands get extremely dry and lose heaps of mositure. To prevent this, I moisturise my hands with lotion before I go to bed. This prevents them from going so dry so they don't crack, but doesn't seem to be solving the problem.

Any tips?

2008-05-17 6:44 AM
in reply to: #1408323

Moscow
Subject: RE: Swimming Dries Out My Hands
Swimming dries out my everything, and lotion was not doing the trick. So after a swim I wash and shampoo with Tri-Swim's body wash and shampoo, and slap on some Tri-Swim lotion. No problem, and don't smell like the pool cleaner's truck.
http://www.tri-swim.com/#
2008-05-17 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1408323

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Subject: RE: Swimming Dries Out My Hands
supa-powa - 2008-05-17 3:26 AM

Hi,

as the title suggests, my hands get extremely dry and lose heaps of mositure. To prevent this, I moisturise my hands with lotion before I go to bed. This prevents them from going so dry so they don't crack, but doesn't seem to be solving the problem.

Any tips?

I get this during the winter. Basically, I just wait impatiently for summer to arrive.

In the winter, the air is dry (low humidity). The result is that my skin gets dry whenever I swim in the pool. In the summer, there's a higher level of humidity, so dry skin isn't a problem then.

Re the moisturizer - does it contain dimethicone? Dimethicone is supposedly good for relieving dryness. Also perhaps apply it more often than just bedtime. (After you're done swimming would be a good time, and after you wash your hands - since this dries them out, too.)

How dry is the air in your home? If the dryness is really bothering you (and the moisturizer isn't doing the trick), perhaps getting a humidifier might help.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Dries Out My Hands Rss Feed