General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Someone PUH-LEASE give me some encouragement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-17 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
Subject: Someone PUH-LEASE give me some encouragement
ok, my brief rant... I was doing GREAT last year. I finally took that huge step, got off my fattened @rse and did something about it. Lost a lot of weight, ran a few tri's and some road races. Promised myself 2 weeks off after my last race in September (yeah, uh-oh right?). THEN - got sick, got a better job in the company that took me from my cushy 40 hours a week to 50 to 60 hours a week. Then, it was winter, a few buffalo wings (Mmmm) then SHA-POW! - right back where I started! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? I'm so ashamed of myself!

I'm trying to get going again, but I feel like I'm carrying 6 people with me each time I run, bike, or swim. Someone tell me I'm going to be ok, and to just hang in there... Another success story (from one of you) would be VERY motivating!

Have a soon-to-be three year old, and another child due at the end of October. I'm absolutely terrified that maybe I'll somehow pull it off again this year, and then end up right back in this same spot again next spring.

Stupid Buffalo wings!, why do they have to be so good?

I know you don't know me, but say something motivating... please?

2008-05-17 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1408654

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Subject: RE: Someone PUH-LEASE give me some encouragement
1-Read your own post and then look for excuses on the text. If you find more than 1 inthere, then you need get rid of them
2-Give yourself a short term goal (or a few), non-weight related. Make it fitness related. Finish a particular sprint or Oly Tri.
3-Give yourself a long term goal, again non weight related but this time make it lifestyle related like I want to be there for my kids when they finish college, get married, have kids, you get my point
4- have as much fun training as you have with your family, make a part of it (bike carrier for your kid etc)
5- It wont be easy but You can do it,

Congratulations on the new baby.
2008-05-17 5:06 PM

User image

Master

Welcome back!

Find yourself a training plan.

Find yourself a race (or 3!).

Enjoy the work - you'll get the payoff.

I'm a mom of a 3.3 year old and 1.3 year old and just getting into tris.  Plan on taking your 3 year old on runs and bike rides while your partner has newborn one-on-one time.  I've found doing ride/runs that end at a playground make them much more interesting to my 3yo.  We play for a while (I stretch, do strength/core exercises) and then I have a cool down ride/run back home. 

2008-05-17 5:23 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Question: How did you feel about yourself when you lost the weight and were more fit? How do you feel about yourself now? You are asking for motivation for a reason.

Even more motivation would be the 3 year old and new one on the way.

2008-05-17 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

If you could do it once, you can do it again even better because you know what you did wrong last time!  Now that you have 2 children, you have twice as many reasons to stick to it!  Remember, you are your childs role model for how to live a healthy life.  Live the way you want your children to live. 

2008-05-17 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Good job! I peeked at your training log, and you've gotten three workouts in over three days. So you're off to a good start!

But stop calling yourself names. (Yes, I saw that too, in your log.)

How about saying something like, "I biked today, and I feel GREAT about that. Tomorrow, I will do another workout, and feel even better!"

You may also want to think about visiting the Challenge Forum, and joining one of the monthly challenges. Some of them are individual challenges, where everyone supports one another. (There's one that just started where people are challenging themselves to cut out junk food.) Some are team challenges, where you compete in teams. They're a great way for staying motivated.

There's also the Tri'ing for Weightloss Forum, where people losing weight. There are challenges in there, as well. It's another really supportive environment, that can help you stay on track.

And yes, you're going to be OK. Just hang in there.

Good luck! You're off to a good start. Keep it up!

Edited by D001 2008-05-17 5:52 PM

2008-05-17 6:01 PM

User image

Regular
stop writing and start running.

2008-05-17 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1408723

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

D001 - 2008-05-17 5:52 PM Good job! I peeked at your training log, and you've gotten three workouts in over three days. So you're off to a good start! But stop calling yourself names. (Yes, I saw that too, in your log.) How about saying something like, "I biked today, and I feel GREAT about that. Tomorrow, I will do another workout, and feel even better!" You may also want to think about visiting the Challenge Forum, and joining one of the monthly challenges. Some of them are individual challenges, where everyone supports one another. (There's one that just started where people are challenging themselves to cut out junk food.) Some are team challenges, where you compete in teams. They're a great way for staying motivated. There's also the Tri'ing for Weightloss Forum, where people losing weight. There are challenges in there, as well. It's another really supportive environment, that can help you stay on track. And yes, you're going to be OK. Just hang in there. Good luck! You're off to a good start. Keep it up!

I second Dee's motion.  She's a great motivator!

2008-05-17 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Penn Valley,

I did something similar.  Last year I trained for and completed my first Triathlon.  I lost 11 pounds during my training, it wasn't as much as you but it was a start.  After my race, I stopped training and working out and life happened.  I gained back 9 pounds by January 1st.  I was disappointed with myself but started training again.  After losing only 5 pounds the first two months, I bought a body bugg and stepped up my training.  I have now lost 22 pounds and continuing at about a pound and a half a week.  I want to lose another 30 pounds.

So, my motivational speech to you is... Stop kicking yourself for going back to the starting gate and get busy doing what it takes to lose the weight.  This time you should have more confidence than last year because you've done it before so you know you can do it.  You know what it takes and that you have it in you.  And this time, you know that once you lose the weight you can't slack or you might end up at the starting gate yet again.  You know this about yourself so stayed focused, even at your goal.  The yummy taste of Buffalo wings will only last a moment but being thin will feel good all day!!  Are the Buffalo wings worth it?

If it helps, do it for other unselfish reasons.  Do it for your kids so you'll feel better and be able to enjoy them and play with them more.  I've recently gotten involved with a summer camp for kids with life-threatening illnesses and when I don't feel like working out, I think of those kids.  I feel like I owe it to them to be in the best shape possible when I show up at camp to play with and supervise them.  They deserve someone that is energetic, has endurance and is fit and that helps me to go workout some days when I don't feel like it.  

I hope this helps.  Good Luck!!  You can do it!!

Edited by TeamWin75 2008-05-17 8:05 PM
2008-05-17 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

well, you just have to do it.

I work @ 46-48 hours per week. Have a 30 min commute each way, and I am IM training. Oh, and I still go to the grocery store, do laundry, and cook at least 3 times per week. Oh and over the past 2.5 years I've lost over 70 lbs.

You just have to suck it up and do it. I no longer have the time to watch all my favorite tv shows, read all my magazines, read all the books that have accumulated, clean my house, etc. I haven't had a beer since January.

Because everyday I choose to do this. And I'm glad I do. 

2008-05-17 8:30 PM

User image

Virginia Beach
Scoli,

Wow. I thought I was reading my own post... My son just turned 3 and my wife just delivered a new baby girl. I ran my first triathlons last year and lost a lot of weight--and gained a lot back this year.

What worked for me? I signed up for a couple of races this year, chose a training plan, and just started doing it day by day. Get yourself some cool gear if it helps to make it more *fun*. Schedule yourself a massage if you stick to your training plan. Get involved with a local group and make some training buddies.

After doing all these things I still feel like I could slide back to the buffalo wings any day... but I pack my tri bag every night and just keep doing it. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

2008-05-17 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
I was looking at your logs and you went from a whale on Thursday to a horse on Friday. In terms of body mass and BF% that's a great improvement.

You've punished yourself enough with the names and it's now time to get some positive self talk and goals. I'm not talking about just writing a goal down - I'm talking about actually signing up for 1 or more races that will make you train. Enlist the help of friends and family to ask about how training is coming. Shortly you'll remember that training and racing feel better than eating. You did it once, you'll do it again.
2008-05-17 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
"I was looking at your logs and you went from a whale on Thursday to a horse on Friday. In terms of body mass and BF% that's a great improvement. "

OH man that's funny! I really needed a good laugh! Jeez, thanks everyone. I seriously really needed all of that. This message board really is a wonderful resource.

I forgot other people could see those comments too. I actually put those there so that I could look back in couple of months, and use them as a reminder. I'm not embarrased that anybody has seen them though, I'm a less-than-serious person, so I certainly don't mind if someone else gets a laugh out of it.

I do actually have a goal though. at a bare minimum, I'm going to run the september race again (its local). I just can't believe how unimaginably hard it is to get back in to it after being 'out of it' for so long. It's all about baby steps right now.

Last year, my goal was to be getting ready to run an oly by now. I guess we'll just call it a setback, not a defeat huh?

As I said before, thankyou for your encouragement - I really do enjoy other peoples stories of bouncing back and overcoming!
2008-05-17 9:56 PM

Regular
Make what you want to happen, happen, and then feel good about achieving your goal, whatever that may be.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Marc
2008-05-18 12:06 AM
in reply to: #1408898

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

I suggest you try booking an early season sprint in 2009 to keep you going in the winter as well.  Maybe even find a local tri club or some winter runs like the resolution run on New Years Day.  You should have a series of short term goals, about one every 3 months to keep you motivated and working towards those longer goals.

Talk to your son.  3 year olds are amazing motivators!  My son tells me when he gets his bike he's going to race me.  I have to keep that attitude in him! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Someone PUH-LEASE give me some encouragement Rss Feed