TriFort
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 54s
Overall Rank = 14/83
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up later than usual, we're camping so it was a nice morning. The race does not start until 9 AM. Had some coffee, pancakes, clifbar, Gu before the start.
Event warmup:

Not much, some light stretching
Swim
  • 28m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok, I definitely underestimated the temp, I got about 200 yards and after the cold set in I hyperventilated. That has never happened to me before so imagine my surprise, horror, and eventual panic. I willed myself to continue, good thing I did because I settled in nicely and finished strong. I lost about 1 minute in that cluster F#$k. I give myself a D- because at least I finished the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Get a full sleeved wetsuit - next year I think I'll get one. I also should have waded in the water earlier to acclimate myself better. Dumb.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I did not kill myself because besides the swim conditions I knew with 20-30 mph winds I was not going save much time zipping out of transition. I made a gradual acceleration and eased into it ok and thanked the lord above I survived to get on the bike. I give myself a C

Nothing, this was the first thing that went just "ok"
Bike
  • 1h 16m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.60 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went ok, I knew that the wind was going to blow and my strenght is the run so I held back a bit knowing I could make up time there. I am glad I did. Also took in 20 oz. InfinIT, one Gu and that worked well. I did not get bad fatigue. I got passed by about 4-5 bikes while passing the same number so I held my ground here. I give myself a B

Not much, just keep riding. My long trip two weeks ago and time off the bike did not help but its early in the season and I matched my bike skill to the course.
Transition 2
  • 46m 35s
Comments:

I goober'd this transition. I misjudged the dismount area so I did not get my right shoe off in time so I ran with one sock and one shoe - what a dork I am. The beauty is they got it all on camera, both still and video in full multimedia formats. Then I run to the wrong rack, geez. I give myself a D with afterschool detention.

Either take off the shoes earlier or crash into the camera man so the moment can not be relived for TV. I figure next time I will take my shoes off earlier, its not the cameramans fault I am a dork.
Run
  • 48m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The run - my saving grace. I did manage to put together a good run. I made up the most of my time here. I have not run trails much, let alone hills but I just focused on hammering the flats and downhills and quickstepping the inclines and got through it well. Ok, I got an A.

Nothing, maybe run the course the day before but it all went well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, some water and stretching - met some BT'ers and other folks from around the area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A sleeveless wetsuit, mother nature, lack of bike time, and my head up my a$$ before T2.

Event comments:

I really like this race for the fact that the others I do are big, this had a really good personal feel to it and besides - I got 3rd in my AG so this is the first "hardware" moment for me since I started tri's. Next year - more transition practice, a full wetsuit and my P2C that will be in next week and I will be set. Ofcourse, a new bike is no replacement for bike time. This was a tough race and I got to meet some great people.

Last updated: 2008-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:04 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 24/83
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca sleeveless
Course: Start in freezing water, L shaped course out 50 yrd to 1st buoy, right turn about 3/8 mi to two bouys while freezing, round each and straight back in. Then, out of the freezing water up a 80 ft. "Stairway to Heaven" to transition before the pad. Did I mention it was freezing?
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:04 | 24.85 miles | 19.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 25/83
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out east to a point that I could never find again and back. My odo said this was closer to 25.4 miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 46:35
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:48:20 | 06.21 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 6/83
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly "roller" kind of trail run out north, looping east-north-west-south to come back to the finish. Very hilly but fun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-18 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Subject: Pokagon State Park Triathlon

2008-05-18 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1409419

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: Pokagon State Park Triathlon
Fantastic race.  You really executed well and your strong running skills really paid off.  Congratulations on the 3rd in age group!
2008-05-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1409839

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Pokagon State Park Triathlon
Very good job!

I had thought about doing this race, but decided to come 'home' (originally from Lafayette) for the Indy 500 and the week after, not before...Maybe next year.

Congrats on your first podium
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pokagon State Park Triathlon Rss Feed