General Discussion Race Reports! » Playa Del Run - Race #2: Santa Monica Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Playa Del Run - Race #2: Santa Monica - Aquathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Monica, California
United States
Playa del Run
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 25s
Overall Rank = 144/178
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

The backstory: I didn't decide to do this race until about 9 on saturday night, when Verna convinced* me that it would be fun since I was planning on doing an ocean swim anyways (*it should be noted that all it took to "convince" me to do triathlons to begin with was Yanti saying "You should do triathlons" so it really doesn't take much). She said it didn't start until 9, so I said "sure". Then I proceeded to go to the UCLA recent grad party anyways (Yanti said I was young enough to basically do whatever I want to myself and still be able to make it just fine, which has been true so far, plus I'll believe/do pretty much whatever Yanti says) and get slightly hammered (I ended up getting the margarita AND the beer taster, then another pint at a bar afterwards, my alcohol tolerance has gone way down since this tri training started, probably because I hardly ever go out anymore). Got home and drunkenly washed my tri suit (I even hung up the shirt properly and stuck the shorts in the dryer) and laid everything out for the morning (and I only forgot the goggles! fortunately I remembered them in the morning). Checked the playa del run website, registration opened at 7, but I figured 8 would be ok.

Alarm went off at 6:45, and I spent the next 25 minutes debating if I wanted to do this. Part of me was lazy, part of me was tired, and part of me was kind of terrified of having another "first" at a race instead of just regular training. Finally I decided that being scared wasn't a good enough reason not to do it, so I went. Had a piece of toast with peanut butter, grabbed the goggles and my tri shorts from the dryer loaded everything in my car and drove over to SM.

Parked, walked in the direction of the tents, meet a nice guy named Eric who was only doing the 5k, he said something about it all being over in like 20 minutes, and I was like "yeah, of course" and kind of did that halfhearted nervous laugh because you know some of us can't do 5k's in 20 minutes. Whatever. I registered, found a spot in the little transition area to dump my stuff, went back to the car to grab the wetsuit and saw Verna and her friend Lee on the way. Came back, chatted some more and started the long process of getting in the suit. We all headed over to the start line where I pulled the top half on and follwed Verna in to the water to check it out.

Event warmup:

Dove under a few waves, made sure my goggles were on right, started thinking maybe I could do this, then got all nervous again because we had to stand around waiting for the lifeguards to powwow or something. I stood in the back since I didn't need to get run over on top of everything else.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 21m 58s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This could not have been more different than Perris. I was pretty slow going out, popped up a little early going under one of the waves and got a big mouth full of saltwater. Once I got out though it was so easy to swim. At first I tried to keep my head out of the water until I kind of got my bearings, but then I just swam like normal. The first few hundred meters or so I was a little out of breathe, but the wetsuit didn't feel as tight as last time and it was fine when I relaxed and slowed a little bit and just swam like I was in a pool.

I was a little behind one the big groups going out, but I caught up with them during the long stretch up the beach. I got run into a couple of times, but no serious elbowing. I didn't really try to draft since I figured it'd be best not to get too close to anyone at this point. It wasn't too crowded so I was able to stay fairly close to the buoys without running into people. Sighting was pretty easy, and I managed to stay on course the whole time, the current wasn't very strong. I passed a few people, including one guy in a green cap that I was neck and neck with up until almost the end. It was really nice to be able to concentrate on swimming my best and not just making it through any way I could.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I don't know if it was the extra buoyancy from the salt water, or just that I'm more used to the ocean having grown up in Santa Barbara, but this swim was so much easier than perris. I felt really comfortable once I was out past the waves, the little swells actually made me feel faster, not like I was fighting the water (they could have made me faster, actually, I don't know since this was my first ocean swim).
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I don't know my transition time yet, or if they'll even post it for sure. I think my run time includes the transition because when I looked at the chrono going out on the run it was at 24 minutes. ~3 minutes for transition sounds about right. I pulled the top half of my wetsuit down on the run up the beach, had a little bit of trouble getting it all the way off but not much. It was weird putting my running shoes on after the swim, I tried to do it standing up then said screw it and sat on the ground. Grabbed my visor and sunglasses, put the race belt on as I ran out of transition.

nothing, it was probably fine, I ran most of the way up the beach which was good.
Run
  • 29m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a pretty good run today. I felt pretty solid the whole time, a little nauseous around the middle of the second lap, wasn't sure if that was the ocean water or the beer :). There was one aid station that you passed two or 3 times so I had about 1/2 a cup of water each time and was fine for the run. I started out slow, but picked up speed and I passed a few people. Every once and a while I could feel myself pushing it a bit too hard, so I'd slow down a bit and remind myself that I just did 22 miles on Thursday so there was no shame taking it a little bit easy today :). Then when I recovered I'd pick up speed again. Nobody I passed passed me so I figure I kept my pace pretty well, and only a few people passed me period (most of them I think were the fast people on their second loop). I saw Verna 4 times I think :) and waved at her. I picked up the pace a little once I could see the finish, problem was there was this downhill then a jump down from the grass to the cement path that you crossed, which kind of made it difficult to really run it in if you didn't know it was there (which I didn't).

Nothing, maybe if this wasn't a recovery run weekend I could have pushed it a little harder, but it was just right for a just for fun race.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a banana, a slice of watermelon, a muffin and a cup of coffee then walked back to the finish and saw Verna come in. Talked to her while she got food then we sat on the grass for the raffle (we didn't win anything :(). Her friend Lee got some great pictures, including an awesome video of the swim start. I also bought a shirt, but I realized later it has a hole so I'm going to see if I can get another one.

Afterwards, coach monica stopped by on her 50 mile bike ride to say hi. She's leaving tomorrow for Ironman Brazil so it was great to be able to see her and wish her luck in person (and thank her again for the wetsuit she's lending me). I talked with her and some other triclubbers for a few minutes then went to trader joes in my race gear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would say the only thing is that now I know how relatively easy ocean swims are I could have probably swam a little faster, but it was just right for my first one.

Event comments:

Such a fun race, very laid back. I'm glad I dragged myself up at 7am to do it.

Last updated: 2008-05-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/178
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:21:58 | 1094 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 138/178
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Out to a buoy, hang a right and go north, hang another right and head back in.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:29:28 | 03.11 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 112/178
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops up and down the grass path parallel to the beach
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 1:29 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Playa Del Run - Race #2: Santa Monica

2008-05-19 1:51 AM
in reply to: #1409997

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Subject: RE: Playa Del Run - Race #2: Santa Monica
Sounds like you had a good race, Faeron. It was great getting to hang out for a bit with you last night.
2008-05-19 1:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Great race report girl...nice job out there!! I really wish I could've done the race with you guys. I'm sure there will be something else coming up soon that we can do. :D
2008-05-19 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Hey, glad you headed out there and did this race. Although it is not as race specific as a 10k or a 15k road race, it is still a great way to sharpen the senses for your upcoming marathon.

Interesting that your splits for PDR are way faster then at Big Rock. You are a fast swimmer and I think that the conditions at Big Rock (wind, Chop and tough sighting) made it way more difficult to post a good time.

I do agree though that ocean swimming is the best. And very nice run. Would be interested to see how this matches up with your open 5k PB time. (I bet it's not far off) 29 minutes with tranition included makes for a pretty speedy 5k.

Oh, and that tummy revolt feeling is pretty normal for a 5k. (At least for me) That is why I don't race them too often :RollEyes:

Rock And Roll!!!

2008-05-19 10:33 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2008-05-19 10:35 AM
2008-05-19 2:53 PM

Expert
Nice job on getting up and doing the race. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to being in bed and trying to talk myself out of doing something! Great job on the ocean swim and sounds like you got yourself through the beer run as well. Congrats.

2008-05-19 3:28 PM

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
Hey... glad to see someone else jumped into this at the last minute too. I've done it 4 years in a row now, doing a "morning of" registration each time. My run training has been pretty light these last few weeks, so I was planning to skip the aquathon this year to train through. But, when it came down to it, I just couldn't resist. Anyway, looks like you enjoyed the event and picked up some good ocean swim experience.
2008-05-19 3:40 PM

Master
Long Beach, CA

Faeron, congrats on popping your Ocean OW Swim cherry! It can be a lot of fun. Glad you got out there and had such a great race. Sometimes the races you decide to do in the eleventh hour are the best because you don't have as much time to freak yourself out about them.

GOOD JOB!

2008-05-20 12:05 AM
in reply to: #1411820

Pro
Irvine, California

Big congrats on getting yourself out of bed to do this race!  I'm pretty sure I was still asleep by the time you finished, LOL.

And yes, you clearly must be young enough to be able to go out drinking the night before and still put in a great showing at the race, with only minor stomach quibbles.  Oh to be young again...

Good luck during your taper for Rock'n Roll -- try not to go crazy!

2008-05-21 1:50 AM

Extreme Veteran

I wish I had known you were doing that - you are so awesome.  Great job! You are speedy missy, REALLY!  Wow!

2008-05-21 2:46 AM

Melon Presser
You. Are. Da. Bomb. I. Ruv. Roo. So. Much.And not just for the shouts out, gee, thanks ... you are a rocking great multisport athlete. What a super race for you, far beyond just a training spell, and you did great.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playa Del Run - Race #2: Santa Monica Rss Feed