Port Townsend Marathon Association
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 5s
Overall Rank = 159/1985
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/50
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, showered, and took care of "the business" as best I could without breakfast and coffee. Grabbed a granola bar and hit the road.

Drove up to the race via the scenic route...was worth it and made for a happy family (Wife enjoyed it, daughter went back to sleep in the back seat). Picked up my race packet and the "crew" headed down to the beach. Stood around and thought about running a bit before the start.
Event warmup:

Light warm-up of leg muscles, not much else.
Run
  • 58m 5s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

66F??? Didn't feel like it. I felt fine, but it was interesting to see multiple EMS vehicles on the course today. We have had only a handful of sunny, warm days this year. The past two days were warmer, but today felt hot.

Started out not expecting a lot. I was thinking that I would like to finish under 1 hour, but before the race started it was a very flexible goal. This was my first race of any distance over 5k and while I have many training runs at this distance or longer, it was mainly a training run in race form after a low mile week.

Start was slow as expected with a large field of runners, once it thinned a bit I was able to fall into a comfortable pace a bit under 8 minutes per mile. We started hitting a majority of the uphill portion between mile 1 and 3 which was expected and while I pushed the hills a bit, it was still comfortable. I fell into pace with a great guy named Gregg who was actually right next to me at the start of the race (line-up in the proper pace spot, unlike many runners). We maintained about a 7:45-7:30 pace through a majority of the remaining distance. As we ran, I found out that Gregg is in training for his first triathlon and we talked for a bit about that. With about a mile to go, Gregg let up a bit and after a brief thought about slowing down I headed to the finish on my own. I met back up with Gregg briefly after the finish, thanked him for the company and congratulated him on his run.

I could have run harder which is encouraging, but I am very happy with the results of this run. I feel like it was a confidence builder going into my first half marathon and gave me an idea of what pace I can maintain over a longer distance. The hills added to that feeling as well.

Despite what the weather report says, this race felt much warmer and by looking at the past results it appears that I was not the only person who was feeling the weather a bit. Lots of people were hitting up every aid station set-up along the route and were also running through the sprinklers that locals had put out along the entire course. I took one cup at the 4 mile mark to wet my mouth, but spit most of the one drink I took back out. This has been pretty normal for anything under 2 hours that I have done.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing unless I was looking to leave everything out on the course. I know that there are people out there with the mentality that every race is an "A" race, but this was to be a successful learning event and it was.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank some water. Ate two orange slices, a quarter bagel, half of a banana, and picked up my BEER (finally, I have signed up for other events that were to have beer at the end and didn't. I wasn't expecting it here and didn't even see that a local brewer was one of the sponsors. Tasted GREAT!!!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Current base and past experience at distances longer than 5k.

Event comments:

30th running of this race which means that they know a bit about what they are doing. Volunteers were great and everywhere. I am used to the support that other athletes give to each other at triathlons and it was not the same here. Runners are a good group, but it seems that once thier race is over it is all over.

Last updated: 2008-04-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:58:05 | 07.46 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/50
Overall: 156/1985
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly loop well supported by the local community. Sprinklers set up and MANY aid stations set up in people's front yards. Official aid stations set up at 4 and 6 mile markers, not much aid required for this distance, but on a warmer day like today it was good to see all of the other aid out there. It wasn't hot by most standards, but as one of like 5 sunny days that we have had out here this year people were hurting.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes