Ironman North America Athlete Services
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 27m 12s
Overall Rank = 460/2500
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 66/300
Pre-race routine:

Friday..........Drove out to Disney, ran around like a maniac trying to get my packet and get to the expo. Found Bridgie, headed over to the expo and we did our registration thing. Once we were done there, I got the replacement pair of goggles I wanted, and then we walked over to the Newton tent...I almost bought a pair of racers, but they made me run a bit in them and decide whether or not I wanted to race in them. I decided not to. So I saved myself some money! Then we met up with Rob and his family, chatted for a bit, and then headed out to dinner. After dinner we started our bike fixin's. Of course we both forgot the tools we needed so we made a trip to Target (for nothing) and WalMart to get what we needed. Then we finished up our stuff and by midnight, we were sitting in the hot tub with Gatorade and cupcakes enjoying the fruits of our labors!!

Saturday..........More expo stuff, bike dropoff. Holy hell are we stupid!! We load all the stuff into the car, drive over to the Magic Kingdom parking lot, get the bikes out, spend 10 minutes riding over to transition, and when we try to get the bikes in..."ummm...you forgot to put your numbers on your bike sir." HOLY CRAP!!!! So...back to the lot, bikes back in the car, back to the resort, get numbers, back to the lot, bikes back OUT of the car, ride back over, rack bike. Whew. By that time it was noon so we were hungry!! So we got some food at Chick Fil-A and then went shopping at the outlet mall. Terri met us at Banana republic where I got some nice stuff (I'm wearing a shirt today that I got there) and then we went over to Old Navy where I picked up some pants, a pair of which I'm wearing today as well! I love shopping. After that, Brian was arriving so we headed back to the resort. All we had time to do was shower and get ready for dinner. After dinner it was time to gather everything up and get ready for race day. Then...off to bed.

Event warmup:

Sunday...up at 4am. Took the usual supplements and tried to eat something. Didn't wanna eat. Just drank a protein shake, woke Bridgie up and got ready to go. Brian and Terri were still sleeping. Brian got up to walk Sable, hugged me as we headed out, and we were on our way to the race site!

When we got there, we waited about 5 minutes to get on the bus and headed over to the transition area. We were both sooooo tired! Upon arriving, we set up our stuff and got ready to race. Found Rob and family, chatted. Sue arrived and we chatted with her a bit too.

I was fighting my usual nervous stomach and had to go to the bathroom about four times. Lines suck. Brian got to the race site and took my bag for me. I got ready to go once Bridget was heading out on her swim and Rob went with his wave. I was nervous.
Swim
  • 39m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim for me. I don't swim very fast, and have been struggling this year. My last half iron swim was 42:20 at Miami Man so this was over 3 minutes better. I felt confident and strong in the water at all times. I would grab some fast feet, stay on 'em and then when I felt strong enough, pass by. By the time I got to the first turn buoy at about 1000m, I was already passing people from the wave ahead of me. As I swam I had my little virtual Mimi telling me to swim faster, remember your stroke, remember your rotation! It definitely helped. By the time we hit the turn for the shore, I was inamongst swimmers from 4 different waves. I was passing people who had been swimming since 7:06! So for me, this was great. I did get passed a few times, but for the most part, all I did in the swim was pass people. That's a good feeling. It gave me a good confidence boost. I vowed not to look at my watch until the end of the swim. But I looked at it around halfway between the last turn buoy and the shore. I smiled when I did though. Upon putting my feet down on the ground close to the exit I looked at my watch and it said 38:50! I was very happy! And I didn't know that I'd swum an extra 300yds either!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...this was a good swim. All things being equal, I'd have beaten my best half iron swim time of 37:38...but this swim was long.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

The run from the beach to the TA was at least a quarter mile long. People were walking! I ran by them all. We came into transition right by my rack so quickly that I actually ran by it! Only bypassed it by one rack though. Went back, and did all the normal stuff. Swigged Gatorade, helmet and sunglasses on, shoes on, grabbed bike and headed out. The TA was very long too, so it was quite a run to the bike exit and then out to the mount like. If this were a normal transition, it would have only taken me a minute or so. I wasn't out of breath either so that's good. I did forget to put on my Biofreeze though. I'm sure that affected my bike time.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.39 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started out great! I was passing everyone in sight. Averaging about 22mph. I figured I'd be able to do this or something similar the whole way, except for the hills. My nutrition plan was being executed well. But as I hammered, my back pain started to creep in. By Mile 20, I was in full-on cramp mode. I had to keep getting out of aero to stretch out. I saw Bridget around Mile 25, she looked good! Around Mile 30, I actually got off the bike so I could twist my back. I had just passed by Wendi but when I was off the bike she passed me by and asked if I was OK. I told her I was having back problems. Got back on teh bike moved forward again. By Mile 35, it was dark and cloudy. Suddenly...RAIN!!! Lots of it. Downpour. I tried to stay in my target speed range, but it was difficult. My back was hurting and I couldn't see.

I still kept up my nutrition plan and felt strong, except for the back pain. Once the rain stopped, the hills came. They were tough, but actually as I climbed, my back hurt less. My legs were strong and I powered up the hill, passing by a bunch of people struggling up them. We climbed three large hills. I felt good about my hill climbing ability. Soon I came up to Mile 40. I was happy. It had stopped raining. My back still hurt but I knew I had less than an hour to go by then. This is when all the automotive traffic kept holding us back. Having to snake by cars at traffic lights and then head onto a sidewalk which forced us all to do about 13mph really slowed me down and killed my average. I'd held onto 20mph until Mile 45. After that, it was pretty flat, but I was relegated to doing the rest of the ride sitting up, resting my hands on my elbow pads cuz I just couldn't get back down in to aero anymore. It hurt too much. I was able to keep up 19 and 20 on the flat parts, but wind gusts would slow me down now and then. About 3 miles from the bike finish I chowed down on a PBJ uncrustable. It was very good.

I started to realize the bike course was long when I passed the 56 mile mark and I wasn't even in the resort yet! Very demoralizing. I was hoping for a 2:45, then a 2:48, then I figured on 2:50, but it wound up being 2:53 by the time we got back. Bike course was long by an entire mile!!

I jumped off, ran my bike into transition and was done with it.

Not have back pain. Nothing else.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Quick and easy. Everything was wet, but I was soaked already so it didn't matter. Just slipped the Newtons on, threw my helmet and sunglasses off, and put on my Newton visor. I was all Newton'd up!!

Nothin.
Run
  • 1h 49m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I shot out of transition on my way to what I thought would be a superb run. I felt strong, my back hurt a bit, but now that I was upright it didn't really affect me. I saw Terri and Brian both cheering for me as I exited transition. I smiled and waved. I got a big rush from seeing them there. I made my way along the path, out around the resort and finally onto the grass. I figured I could keep a decent pace. I was passing everyone in sight. I passed about 10 or 12 guys in my age group in the first couple miles. Only two people passed me on the entire run. One about 2 miles in, he was in my AG, and one about 9 miles in, a 52 year old. That's it. The two miles on grass were crazy hot. The one cool part was that the Newton people were out on the back of the course cheering all the Newton runners. That was cool! Aid station had plenty of supplies but there were so many runners that they just couldn't keep anything in their hands long enough. I came around to the end of the first loop and saw Terri and Brian again. Another round of pictures and smiles and I was on my way to lap 2. I saw Mimi around a half mile into my second loop, she said she wasn't feeling great, but she looked strong. I saw Wendi right after that as well. Back onto the grass. I just tried to lower my head and push forward. I was still just flying by people. Water and Gatorade at aid stations and gel from my pouch when I needed it. I saw Christine out on the grassy berm, we waved and smiled. Around 6 miles in, I saw Rob. He was about a half mile ahead of me. I just pushed along, trying to get thru the heat and crowds. Around Mile 8, I caught up with Rob, he said he wasn't feeling good. But I gave him some encouragement and pushed on ahead. I was still passing guys in my age group. A little less often this time but that told me that there weren't many more to pass. Back to the loop ending, another round of pictures. Flew into and out of the aid station and headed out. Now I was slowing down. I was tired. IT WAS HOT. BURNING HOT. My body was fatiguing, I could feel myself tightening up, my back pain was resurfacing. I was dreading that last grass segment. When I got back out there, the heat was just nothing short of brutal. I just tried not to think about it and just told myself in 20 minutes you'll be back on pavement. Around Mile 12, I saw Bridget...she looked strong. She said she was struggling, but her form and pace looked good. She was passing people too. After I passed her, it was only about 5 minutes before I'd be back on pavement again. I took the opportunity to pass more guys in my AG in the last couple miles but I kept telling myself that I was probably just lapping them and not to work so hard, I'm already in front of them. Who cares though, I just wanted to be done so I ran faster. I just pushed hard. I passed Christine again, but didn't even know it was her until she cheered for me as I ran by. So I waved and went on. I was in a daze already. I got to the Mile 13 marker and I thought, yay, almost there. But then I kept running and running and running...my Garmin said 13.1, 13.2, 13.3...I was still running! When it got to 13.4 I was finally at the turn for the finish chute. There were people in my way...WALKING!! I yelled ON YOUR LEFT ON YOUR LEFT ON YOUR LEFT!!! They weren't budging...so I pushed past them. Sprinted up that chute and under the finish arch. My Garmin said 13.51 when I finished. GRRR...so all three legs of the race were long.

I think I could have pushed harder and ran faster. But given the circumstances, maybe nothing. Not sure.
Post race
Warm down:

This is where it gets fuzzy. After getting my medal, shirt, and hat, I walked toward the chute exit and Terri and Brian were waving. Sue came up and grabbed me and kinda focused me and brought me out of my daze. We walked over to the chute exit and joined Terri and Brian. Got some water from Sue (she was my savior...I was so parched) and Brian gave me some Diet Mountain Dew. He rocks. Then I had to sit down cuz I was gonna fall down if I didn't.

After Terri and Brian left, I waited for Bridget to finish and we saw Christine finish too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My back (on the bike) and HEAT (on the run). Other than that, I think the race went pretty well for me. I think I've got a much faster 70.3 in me though. For sure.

Event comments:

IM brand events are usually top notch. Except for the pain-in-the-ass transportation that being at Disney lends, this is an awesome race. Very well organized and fun. They just need to work on making the course a TRUE 70.3, not a 71.9. I'll do it again though.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-02-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:02 | 2112 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 102/300
Overall: 690/2500
Performance: Good
Suit: Jaggad One-piece Tri-suit
Course: Out 1000m, across 200m, back 1000m. The course was long. GRRR. But I'm using the "official" distances here.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:53:15 | 56 miles | 19.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 132/300
Overall: 903/2500
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Loop around Disney and then out into Orange County. Hills in the middle, flat otherwise. Good challenging course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:49:06 | 13.1 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/300
Overall: 460/2500
Performance: Average
Course: 4.38 miles x 3 loops. 2.2 miles of each loop was on grassy uneven berms behind the resort...no shade, no breeze. 95 degrees. UGH.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2008-05-19 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1411627

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-19 3:24 PM

Master
Boston
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
I can't believe the course was long!! NO FAIR! Yeah, you look a little fuzzy in your post-race pics....lucky you didn't get brought into the med tent for dehydration! Still, you are blazing fast Jeff!!
2008-05-19 3:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
GREAT JOB Qster!  Well done report as well.  I could almost feel the heat! 
2008-05-19 3:57 PM

2008-05-19 4:39 PM

Master
South Florida

Glad I could be of service on the swim   Now if I could figure out how to go 3 minutes faster!!  You have become a smarter and stronger racer, and it shows!    About top 1/3 for swim and bike and freaking 34/300 for the run!!!  When you're feeling 100%, you'll nail the bike even more and put more than a few boys to shame  

Happy to see you for a second on the run

2008-05-19 4:42 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome job as always jeff and congrats onthe HUGE HUGE HUGE PR!!!  You did AMAZING and it was a totally brutal weather day too  
2008-05-19 6:12 PM

Veteran
Florida
One of my girls at school - a senior - did the race this weekend, so we were looking up times on the computer - I happened to have the overhead on, so the whole class could see the times...

After looking up her time - and her describing how brutally HOT and LONG the run was, I looked for you, holy crap JEFF...WOW, you were smokin' that run...my entire class of 9th graders is in awe of you...cause the whole time we were looking at your time, Lauren was describing how tough it was!!

CONGRATS!! Specially considering how long it was, thats just AWESOME!!
2008-05-19 6:49 PM

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome job Jeff.  I know first hand about the pain in the back on the bike.  I had it last year at St A's.  It can really slow you down.  Seems like this years HIM was less well organized then in t he past.  Being long on all 3 discplines is crazy.  Not much you can do about the weahter.  Great run anyways.
2008-05-19 7:23 PM

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great race Jeff.  Awesome job pushing through the pain and the long course to put together an awesome race.  Congrats!
2008-05-19 7:24 PM

Champion

Great Race Jeff.  You left everything you had on the course.

2008-05-19 7:28 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
GREAT JOB, Q!  I like those times!
2008-05-19 7:46 PM

Master
Plant City, FL
You did great, and it was fun to see you on the bike course--much better when you got back on your bike and took off like a crazy man though!!
2008-05-19 7:59 PM

Elite
Hendersonville
You rock! What a PR!! I can't wait to watch you kill CdA!
2008-05-19 9:23 PM

Master
Keller Tx
Outstanding race Jeff..  Nice PR even the the course was long, and the conditions were less than great
2008-05-20 8:33 AM

Expert
Nice job Jeff!!  Awsome job pushing through everything that course gave to ya.  Excellent!!!

2008-05-20 9:20 AM

Edited by JeepFleeb 2008-05-20 9:22 AM
2008-05-20 12:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL

Awesome race report, sounds like you guys had some brutal conditions out there to contend with.

2008-05-20 4:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congratulations Jeff! Your finish time is awesome, especially if the course was long on all three events. I hope you get the back issues worked out and are able to get your faster HIM soon!
2008-05-21 9:35 AM

Expert
Virginia
great job jeff!  sounds like some lessons learned and considering the course was long, sounds like a good day.
2008-05-21 4:41 PM

2008-05-21 8:24 PM

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

dude! I read this but I forgot to comment on it!!  Yeah, aaron is right!  I think he makes good sense.   It's like drafting.... let them pull ya. 

And this guy passed me on the run... TWICE.    he rocks.  We're gonna see him at Clearwater someday!! 

2008-05-22 8:06 AM

Regular
Orlando
AWESOME JOB!!!!!
2008-05-22 12:59 PM

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Do they make a different sticker for the 71.9. Nice job on the race, you really powered through the back pain on the bike and smoked the run to finish strong.
2008-05-22 4:34 PM

Mesa
Good work.. especially on a 3 minute swim PR. That is always nice! You shall rock CDA!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed  

of 2