General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Topeka Tinman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-19 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Topeka Tinman
Hi everyone!!

I am looking for some advice on the Tinman

My debate right now is which course to sign up for. I just did the Bikesource triathlon and not sure if I want to do the short course or step up to the long course

I was wondering how the courses compare to others in the area. Besides Bikesource, I have done Jackson County, the Midwest Meltdown, and live by Shawnee Mission Park.

I thought I read that the Tinman course was flatter than the others, but looking at people's race reports from the previous year now makes me think differently.

Any input would be appreciated.

2008-05-20 8:51 AM
in reply to: #1411945

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman
Tinman bike course, in my opinion, is relatively flat. ESPECIALLY compared to Shawnee Mission and Midwest Meltdown. I guess it all depends on your definition of flats and hills. Tinman was my very first triathlon ever and in my race report I said it was "hilly" LOL... only because I have literally ZERO hills where I live and the tiny-est hill was dramatic for me. I have learned a lot since then.

The Short Course swim at Topeka is only 300 yards, so if you are not a strong swimmer it's a great short swim.

2008-05-20 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for the input!

My main concern is the bike. I have done plenty of 1000m+ swims and ran the Lawrence half marathon in April, but I have not done a lot of longer bike rides. I have a loop around my house that is about 6 miles that I often do twice at a time, so a 20 mile ride will be a little bit of a step up for me.

I guess I have a couple weeks to decide. I'll start ramping up my bike rides and see how I feel.

Thanks
2008-05-20 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
The bike course is definately in easier course then Mayhem, I avg about 2.5 mpg more at Topeka then mayhem last year. There are ups and downs at Topeka but nothing real bad. You could do the long course there, it sounds like you've got the running and swimming down so if you focus on the bike a little in the next month you should be fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Topeka Tinman Rss Feed