United States
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 8s
Overall Rank = 146/213
Age Group = 40 - 45
Age Group Rank = 16/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, at a bananna, got to the park just after six. Waited around for two hours.
Event warmup:

My girlfriend rubbed my shoulders and arms to keep me warm.
Swim
  • 13m 33s
  • 650 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I learned from my last open water wade in start (almost two years ago) and stayed toward the back of the crowd. Gun shot and bodies in the water. It wasn't as bad as my last one, considering I started in the back. The swim out to the first bouy was slow as I fought with my brain that I really wanted to finish the swim. After rounding the first bouy and nearly drowning when I ran into the gaggle of people stopping at the bouy, I was okay. rounding the second bouy was better but with the sun just coming up over the trees I had a heck of a time finding the beach. I know that I was way off course when I finally seen the beach bouy and headed in that direction. But I just wanted to finish the swim.
What would you do differently?:

well, how about swimming more then once before the race. I don't think I have been swimming at all since Novemeber until last weekend. So for a 2:08/100yrd time is not too bad. I know I can improve that by swiming more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I know I spent way too much time in T1, but I was trying to get myself mentally in focus that I am just wanting to finish this race NOT worry about the time. The problem really came after crossing the mount line.

Moved faster - perhaps practice getting into my damn shoes better.
Bike
  • 42m 18s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay here is where I had the most problem. Back last year I would clip my shoes to the pedal, jump on the bike, start pedalling then put my feet in the shoes. No problem right? WRONG!!! One must practice this routine a couple of times BEFORE attempting it. Even if you had it down LAST YEAR. I get to the mounting line; I know I need to be a little more careful since I have not done this in a year; push down on the pedal, throw my leg over, and realize my shoe is gone. Yep boys and girls, while starting to pedal my shoe gets stuck between the road and the pedal and pops off just as easy as you please. So here I am straddling my bike, while someone hands me my shoe. Instead of getting off the bike to put my shoe on, I continue to straddle the bike and attempt to get the shoe on. If you have never attempted this, DON'T. How I managed to get it on without falling over is way beyond me. but I get it slipped in and start pedalling. The fun is not quite over. Let's just say I have never had that much problem trying to get my shoes strapped down.
As for the rest of the bike ride, I thought I was doing good, but damn I was be paced by a lot of people. Still not too bad of an average time considering

More riding with practice on the mount and dis-mount.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I did take my feet out of the shoes when coming into T2, but decided it might be better to stop before getting off. Especially considering my snafu getting on the bike. I did have a bit of trouble with my getting my race belt on, but not really that bad.

practice getting off the bike
Run
  • 25m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

An 8:40mm is not that bad for a fat man like myself, but damn were these people running fast. In my age group there were people running 18 min for the 3 miles. Holy Crap! Let's put it this way, half of the people there ran under 8 min mile averages.

Find a race with slower runners.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate, drank, and sat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

NOT TRAINING!!

Event comments:

The race was overall friendly. I like that. What I did not like was that it turned out to be filled with rabbits (you know those fast swimmers, fast runners, fast bikers). My girl friend was telling me that the announcer was saying that this person went to state for this thing and that person was top in class for that thing. I guess only those hard core triathletes would go out into the middle of the woods to do a race, but I think the rest of the slower people are missing out on a great event. I really enjoyed the way they had this set up.
--Yes I got my ass whooped, but atleast I finished.

Last updated: 2008-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:33 | 650 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/213
Performance: Average
Suit: Nope
Course: Triangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:42:18 | 13 miles | 18.44 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Mostly flat crossing over a spill way next to the lake. We had the unfortante luck to have the a fairly strong cross wind and it came across the lake. And just for an added tidbit, they threw in a nice little hill near the end of the ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:52 | 03 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Course: The course was on the park roads in the woods. Really nice and fairly flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Subject: Four States Triathlon

2008-05-19 8:15 PM
in reply to: #1412349

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Subject: RE: Four States Triathlon

Hey Kirk!

It's so good to see you back....even if you did feel like you got your *ss wooped!  Remember, for us newbies, you're our hero!  If it weren't for you and this silly little mentor thread, I would have cashed it in long ago.  It's stories like yours, where someone struggles through some tough places and then comes back, that inspires folks like me to hang in there.  I've battled an entire year of stupid injuries that seem insignificant but would have made me quit tri'ing entirely if it weren't for this website and real people like you.  Thanks for being real and struggling through whatever it was that made you quit and then come back.  The elites will always be out there doing their thing but they don't inspire me much, it's us mortals whose stories give courage and hope to people stuggling to know if they can really keep doing this.  Thank you!!!  Keep up the good work - you're doing more than just erasing a beer belly... 

2008-05-19 9:23 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Good race and great report and by the way you beat me..  Anyway it was good to meet you and I hope to see ya at Jefferson.
2008-05-19 9:29 PM
in reply to: #1412544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

CBarnes - 2008-05-19 9:23 PM Good race and great report and by the way you beat me..  Anyway it was good to meet you and I hope to see ya at Jefferson.

Well now I don't feel so lonely being at the back. It was great to meet you and a few other BTers that were there.

Jefferson huh? Hmmmm......

2008-05-20 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Good to see you again Kirk.  It's nice to see you racing again.

I raced Jefferson last year, and it is very similar to this race in atmosphere.  But the course is a bit more difficult.

2008-05-20 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Really nice to meet you, and great report! 

2008-05-20 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

He's back and he is racing

Great to see you back and a race is definitely a good way to celebrate your return. I hope to see you posting marathon reports in the fall too.

Take Care of yourself and don't let the fasties in the crowd get you down. You finished strong and upright and had a great time and that is what counts.

Cheers

2008-05-20 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Great to see you back in action. Putting on the shoe on the bike, that sounds like I would pop or strain something.
Nice work.
2008-05-20 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
good to see you racing again Kirk.  welcome back
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Four States Triathlon Rss Feed