General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing Inc.
105F / 41C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 39m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I did not sleep well. Not sure why. Woke up at 0400. Took a shower and got ready. Headed out the door at 0500. Breakfast included oatmeal, yogurt and coffee. Set up transition area.
Event warmup:

No warm up really. I chatted with friends and watched everyone start their race. I had about an hour before my wave start.

My Garmin had dead batteries so it was of no use. I must have left it on when I took it off the charger. Good thing I brought my Polar. I had planned on wearing the Polar on thw swim and then swithching to the Garmin.

So the entire race I was blind to HR and Pace. I only had a stopwatch.
Swim
  • 31m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I feel really good about my swim. My goal was to just have a good comfortable swim. I experienced some bumping at the start and when the ladies in the pink caps caught up with me. I was OK with that. I was able to stay calm throughout. My sighting was pretty good. I did not stray too far off course with the exception of the last bouy. I knew it was towards the middle of the lake and tried to aim towards it. I could not see it because of the two bridges that were out there. Once, I cleared the bridge, I was able to spot it and swim towards it. I then headed for home.
What would you do differently?:

This was by far my best swim in TTL. I was not concerned about the distance as I have been in prior races. I was able to stay calm and not let anything bother me AND I did not stop at all for rest. This is a first for me in the lake. I'll take this time. The last time in the lake it took me 32:15 for 1000 meters.
Transition 1
  • 05m 24s
Comments:

I struggled with getting my wetsuit off. I put some bodyglide on my ankles, neck and wrists in an effort to get it off but it got stuck on my calves. Otherwise, I felt pretty good. I had everything organized well so it was simply putting everything on and going

Work on wetsuit removal. I do not focus on transitions in training so this is to be expected.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 27 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me a lap to figure out which gears to be in during the different sections of the laps. There were some parts that I just did not have any strength or momentum to get up the hill. Mostly this was on the off ramp of the Loop 202 at Center Pkwy. I was not too concerned about people passing me and did not let it bother me. I tried to work as not getting completely worn out prior to the run. I saw just about everyone on the course. It was fun going around the Mill Ave corner where Jen, Zach and Harry were cheering for the Cool Kids.

Ride more
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I remembered to ride in the parking lot with my feet on top of my shoes. This was good. Walking my bike to T2 was not good. I had the energy, I was jsut trying to get my legs used to being off the bike. I applied some more sunscreen on before I left. It was already hot out there.
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I had a few issues starting out on the run. My stomach was sloshing around and my hammys were tight. Oh, Yeah. I was Hott! The first loop I briefly thought about calling it a day before I got too far away from transition. I stuck it out and walked more than I ran on the first loop. The highlight of the loop is when a woman snuck around a power box to go potty when the restroom by the horse stable was 100 yards away. I guess she was not familiar with the area. I stopped at said restroom and went to hopefully relieve my stomach. I also got some water on my arms, head and shoulders to cool off. I continued to walk and run to the Mill ave bridge. I also thought about just walking the rest of the course. My legs were fine, I was just hot with the upset stomach. I started to run on the bridge and felt pretty good and ran the majority of the second loop. I got a cup of ice water by the horse stables and ate the ice cubes for the last two miles of the race. I ran up the stairs onto the bridge the second time around and ran the rest of the way. The highlight of the second loop was the volunteers under the bridge. Them: Splash of water? Me: No Them: Splash Them: More Splash Me: No No No!

I was a little disappointed. I could have probably finished with a 3:20 or so time if not for my issues. I did not want to risk injury so I slowed down a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down and drank a bottle of water in the shade for a few minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, I'm old and slow what can I say. Today it was the heat that slowed me down.

Event comments:

I had a good time today. I would like it if for once I could race around TTL and it not be over 90. My goal was to practice for Boise and not get injured. I accomplished that. The course had plenty of cold water which was nice. The race schwag was weak. Where are the race splits. Why have all of the timing mats if splits are not published? A water bottle or medal would be nice.
The ESCKTC had a very nice showing.

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:45 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 27 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Four loops around TTL
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loops around TTL
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-05-19 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1412650

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great job out there and great race report. You should be all in tune for Boise now.
2008-05-19 10:58 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Nice job Rick! I wish I had found you on the walk/run so that we could have moved each other along. Way to hang tough on the hot loop!

I wasn't so smart and when they said "splash" I said "yeah" and little did I know that meant about 5 cups of water but oh well. LOL

Glad you got to practice for Boise!! Congratulations on a solid showing out there!!
2008-05-19 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ
Way to tough-out the stomach problems and finish in some pretty brutal heat.  Like you said, that swim time was great.  I think the heat causes stomach problems in a lot of people (me included), if you figure out the secret to beating it let me know.
2008-05-20 10:57 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-20 11:43 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job, Rick, especially on the swim.  It sounds like you are conquering your open water (or is it just TTL?) demons.  It was awfully hot out there - congratulations for pushing through to the end!

2008-05-20 11:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Nice work out there in the heat!
2008-05-20 1:25 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ
What a tough race! Great job on finishing it! Especially with an upset stomach sloshing around. Ugh. But you got through it. Now on to Boise!
2008-05-20 3:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-20 8:51 PM

Pro
AZ
Nicely done Rick!!!  It was hot out there and you made the best of it!!  Nice wat to get a race under your belt before Boise!!  Sorry to hear about the stomach issues! That always sux!
2008-05-20 9:42 PM

Expert
scottsdale, az
Great job out there!! Great swim! VERY NICE! Overall, despite the heat, it seemed like a good race for you! Boise will be much cooler weather.

2008-05-20 10:13 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great job Rick! I recently did a race with no pace/clock to check and it was kind of nice, just to use how you feel to guage a race!

You did awesome and it was great to see you finish!

Personally, I liked the water tossing

2008-05-20 11:31 PM

Mesa
Good job! You will enjoy racing in cooler weather in Boise. Keep on grinding it out and enjoy the times when you don't have a HR monitor to measure you, etc... that is freedom!
2008-05-21 12:12 PM

Elite
the desert

Sorry to hear about your stomach issues - - that's no fun to have and try and run in that heat.  Great job on gutting it out!

You'll do great in Boise!

2008-05-21 3:09 PM

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Smart racing! That will get you through longer races. I can't even imagine how hot it must have been. Good job staying cool.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed