The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 30m 44s
Overall Rank = 1484/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 76/108
Pre-race routine:

Did not get as much sleep as I was hoping for, but got up at 4:30. Had a yogurt at the apt. in Laurel before Giovanna and I headed out to Columbia. Saved my usual bagels/PB for later in the morning while we were waiting for our wave to start.
Event warmup:

Set-up my transition area and walked through my transitions in my head. Then had to find a race official b/c I received the wrong run bib in my packet. Got that fixed and ran into Tim (NewLeaf) on my way back to check on Gio. Gio was having a hard time getting her tire pumped up. I took a look and her valve stem was busted. We took her bike and ran back up to the Princeton Bike tent with 15 mins left before transision area closed. New tube, tire replaced. Back to transition to grab our wetsuits, body glide and exit transition. Had a bagel and walked over to watch some of the swim start waves. This helped immensely combined with the advice that Tommy (tnt2tri) had given me a couple of days before.
Swim
  • 31m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

First of all, the water was much colder than I expected. I have struggled with OWS in all my races just due to all the people around me. I positioned myself all the way in the back of the pack. When the "GO" went off, I waited about 5-10 secs. Then I started "my swim" Repeated my mantras in my head and felt great. Before we reached the first buoy I was up in the middle of the pack. I held my own - even bumping and swimming over others. As we neared the turn, I got kicked in the face for the first time. Knocked my googles pretty hard and I had to pull up to adjust. Panicked a little and started to feel like all the other OWS. Cleared my mind and moved to the outside of the group to avoid the crowd and went back to my mantras and some of the tips Tommy and Dan had given over the last months. Before I knew it I was back up in the middle of the pack and along with the faster swimmers of the wave behind us. Held my own and took into the finish. Got kicked on more time in the face nearing the finish. On the swim exit, one of the athletes in our swim wave toppled over and stepped right on my foot. Heard/felt my big toe pop. Hurt like crazy coming out of the water onto the grass. Not good.
What would you do differently?:

I'm so happy with this swim. My first race being under the 2:00/100yds mark. I didn't lose my head and I actually executed a plan rather than just trying to survive. AWESOME! Keep on working those OWS with lots of people around me!!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

I think this was the most clear headed I've been on a transition after the swim. Hurt like h%ll trying to get my cycling shoes on with my toe.

Gotta learn how to transition with my shoes already on the bike!!!
Bike
  • 1h 41m 53s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 15.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Right off the bat, I had more negative thoughts going through my head than ever before. I struggled with negative thoughts and hills more than anything. "I suck at this. I'm incredibly slow. Why am I doing this? A year of training and this (climbing hills) still hurts like h3ll!! My foot is killing me and there's no way I'm gonna be able to do the run." Then the rain started and I rounded the back loop to come upon the accident scene. I had to totally stop, unclip and wait while the 2nd ambulance came in and the helicopter started hovering overhead. I was scared to death for the gentleman on the ground and for the rest of us competing on the course. Not good. Carried on the rest of the way through the race and actually passed several girls on the last stretch back to the park. Still seriously thinking about a DNF Did Not Finish).

TRAIN MORE HILLS!!! I think training on those edges and into the discomfort zone would be good for me. I've GOT to get better at this.
Transition 2
  • 04m 49s
Comments:

Freakin felt like I was moving in S L O W M O T I O N. Grabbed some sport beans, again struggled to get my shoes on because of my toe. Finally took off to the run start thinking I'd just see if I could make it up the first hill. (Quitting is just against my nature)

Getting bike shoes on/off again and leaving them on the bike.
Run
  • 1h 07m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting the run, I made a deal with myself. Just make it to the top of the first hill. Then you can turn back, quit and say you tried. Got to the top of the first hill and I pictured Turtle there yelling at me "My grandmother's faster than you!!" Ok, I can make it to the back side of the lake and then I can quit. Two girls passed me at this point. Yep, back of the lake. Well, I reached the back of the lake and there was no way I was quitting! :) I reached the 2 mile mark logging better than 11:30 pace. Deflating! But I wasn't quitting, damn it! The "DOLLY's group" at the top of Gatorade hill were a highlight of the run. OMG, they were hilarious. I thought on of the double D bossomed drag guys was actually gonna kiss me. I ran a little faster. I kept picking up my pace the entire way through the neighborhood and back into the park. My quads and calves were cramping on all the hills. New experience for me. I only had one girl that passed me earlier on to catch up with and pass back. As we came back onto the trails in the park, I saw her. I passed her and left her in the dust. Only 2 guys passed me on the entire run. :) Nearing the finish, there was one guy ahead of me and a spectator said "If you're gonna sprint, now's the time!" No idea where this came from but I sprinted my heart out, left the guy in the dust and soared across the finish line all by myself. The announcer was completely awesome in his comments on my finish and I will carry those words with me for a very long time. :)

Not get stepped on prior. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Felt like I was going to hurl, so I walked around a bit and tried to find something salty to eat or drink to help with the cramps in my legs. Giovanna was waiting for me (yes, she finished way ahead of me and she rocks!!) and helped me find some gatorade. Better!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training and having an injured toe/foot for the run was really my downfalls for today.

Event comments:

Despite the awesome run finish, my initial thoughts on this race were very negative on my performance. Now, in retrospect and seeing my times, this race was a victory for me in a lot of ways. My best swim ever in a race. 15mph avg on the bike on a very hilly course with a complete stop/pause for the accident. Awesome negative split on the run with a very painful foot. I gained a lot of race wisdom on this race and the feeling of accomplishment knowing that I didn't quit is pretty doggone awesome. This was the toughest course I've done yet and I'm already looking forward to next year. I know I can do better!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 66/108
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
My heart rate approaching the dock to get in the water soared to 125. Once we got into the water I found some open spots and swam a stretch. By the time we started our wave, my HR was down into the upper 80's.
Suit: Sleeveless Zoot
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:41:53 | 25.48 miles | 15.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/108
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: HILLS
Road: Rough  Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:07:56 | 06.21 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 79/108
Performance: Good
Course: More hills but beautiful scenery
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2008-05-20 4:19 AM
in reply to: #1412657

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon

Jan - I am so impressed by this race and it has absolutely nothing to do with your time.  You won the biggest battle out there.  The mental battle is always the toughest one.  For you to keep going, hurt and hurting is the definition of triathlete.  You are totally awesome.   I like the fact that you paused before the swim start to let yourself b comfortable with the crowd. What are 5 or 10 seconds going to cost you anyway?  Sounds like they actually helped you swim faster than not.  Work smarter, not harder. 

BTW, my friend who serves as my part-time "coach" always tells me that hills are supposed to hurt.  If they don't hurt, you are not racing.  Working on hills more will make you better at climbing them, but it just means that they will hurt for a little less time.  Learn to enjoy the pain as a flavor of the race.  I don't know if he is wise or insane, but mentally I egg on the hill.  I tell it to go ahead and try to hurt me, I can take it.  Evidently, you can too.

Great race.

2008-05-20 5:23 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Wow, Jan!!  Great job on that OWS and persisting through a tough bike and run!  And you're supposed to feel like you're going to hurl at the end of the race.  Congratulations on finishing your first Oly, and finishing it strong.  Now we have to get training for Patriots.  From a hilly Oly to a fast, flat half. 

Is your toe OK?  And of course, it had to be an Athena to boot, pardon the pun.    

2008-05-20 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great job Jan - you made it through one of the more challenging Olympic races. If you can do this one, you can finish any Olympic race.

Awesome swim and way to stick it out on the bike and run.

!
2008-05-20 7:41 AM

Pro
yep,
great job on the race even with all of the problems you had.
2008-05-20 7:46 AM

User image

Regular
Montgomery County, PA
Great job! You should be very happy with yourself for not giving up and giving it your all to the finish. Awesome swim!

Hope your foot is better

2008-05-20 7:57 AM

Great job, Jan! Even with the toe issue (is it broken, you think?). All your training has paid off! I think both of us need to go out and regularly snack on some hills this summer
2008-05-20 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Congratulations on finishing such a challenging race on what turned into a tough day for you! Jan, you should feel so good about getting through this thing! You got past the rough swim start and rocked the swim; congrats on the swim breakthrough!

Whatever happened to your foot sounds painful. You fought through that and all the negative thoughts and finished this thing. I heard some other people after the race also talk about wanting to quit after getting stopped to wait while the ambulance and lifeflight helicopter closed the course.

And you saved a little something for the finish! Nice work!

2008-05-20 12:35 PM

User image

Regular

Awesome job out there this past weekend and great race report. Hopefully your foot will get better real soon but your quiet determination paid big dividends for this race.

Steve

Z
2008-05-20 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Way to hang in there and finish strong! Good race, Jan!
2008-05-20 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Jan,

Congratulations!  That's a tough race and you showed what a tough chick you are by finishing even with a hurt foot.  Awesome job and the memory of this race will help a lot in the future.

Ernie

2008-05-20 10:05 PM

User image

Elite
I love your pictures!  Do tell what the announceer said to you!  I loved Dolly's hills too...
2008-05-21 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1415271

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

turtlegirl - 2008-05-20 11:05 PM I love your pictures!  Do tell what the announceer said to you!  I loved Dolly's hills too...

After I crossed that mat that sent my name up to the announcer... he says: 

"Here comes Jan Loughran from Stone Ridge, VA.  Look at that sprint.  That's a thing of beauty when it's done correctly.  A full sprint at the end of a difficult race.  Her form is perfect.  It just doesn't get better than that right there.  Awesome finish, Jan!!"

I thought it was pretty cool. But I disagree with him.  It would be alot better if I was sprinting to the finish in front of the pack and not far behind the pack.  

Edited by jlough 2008-05-21 2:27 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed