General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEED HeLP - First Tri and need wetsuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-20 6:51 AM

Subject: NEED HeLP - First Tri and need wetsuit
I did my first race last weekend, a duathlon, quite the experience because my training did not include 46 degree weather, rain, trail running through mud, and even drinking gatorade while running. Took two hours for 2 mile trail run in mud, 18 mile bike with 4 Serious Hills, and 5k run through mud and rain.

So, with that out of the way, I plan on doing my first sprint tri this weekend but need a wetsuit due to 50 degree water. Here it goes

Should I rent or buy?

Is there an online site to shop and get mailed by Saturday?

Recommeded mm thickness, like I said 50 degree water but still need mobility since this is my first swim?

Any and all help is appreciated, THANKS.

2008-05-20 6:57 AM
in reply to: #1412876

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: NEED HeLP - First Tri and need wetsuit
Congrats on your first duathlon! That race sounds like it was fun.

I just raced this past weekend without a wetsuit and wanted to shoot myself during the swim, then came out on the bike in 44F air-temp. Very nice.

Nonetheless, I would buy one if it was me. It is a greater expense up front, but you will get numerous uses out of it down the road.

As to thickness, that varies but I think the avg is around 2mm - 3mm.

Oh, if the water is going to me in the 50's, then you definitely need one.
2008-05-20 7:14 AM

New user
I just bought a suit from Promotion, based on alot of good reviews on here. A friend borrowed it to race this weekend and loved it. I opted for sleeveless, but if the water is 50 degrees, you definitely want sleeves. I ordered online and they called to tell me my measurements were better suited to another size, and they were right. I ordered it on a Thursday 3-day air, and I had it by Tuesday. They also offered 1 day air.
2008-05-20 8:02 AM

User image

Modesto, California
If you can borrow or rent one, I think that is the way to go. You will quickly discover what you like and don't like about wetsuits when you test drive one during an event or practice, I did this and will keep my current wetsuit for a very long time. From that you will be able to narrow it down to a few choices when its time to buy. There are many suits to choose from. Wetsuits vary a great deal in comfort and fit so its hard for someone to say one brand is better for you than another, or a screaming deal is the way to go. Be selective and try some on, but its better to workout in one!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEED HeLP - First Tri and need wetsuit Rss Feed