Start 2 Finish, Inc.
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 81/90
Pre-race routine:

Got to race site around 5:30am just to find out the my rear wheel was flat for my very first triathlon! Luckily the good people at Bike's Plus were able to help me get it changed out. It ended up being a rough spot on the inside of my rim had rubbed a hole in the tube at the base of the stem. I guess it is better before the race thna after!
Event warmup:

Not much...just tried to stay relaxed and calm by talking with a couple of friends that were also doing the race.
Swim
  • 36m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my 1st triathlon ever...so I should take my own swim critique with a grain of salt. I swam the course the day before, so I would be ready for the water temperature and to get my first OWS in. On race day I thought I was ready, thought being the key word. After about the first 200m, I found myself hyperventilating. Every time I but my face in the water, I felt like I couldn't breathe. So I used the side stroke and anything else I could think of to keep moving forward. I eventually calmed down and rounded the first buoy and never looked back. In hindsight, I think it might have just been the rush of my first race that messed my breathing up. I would like to think theat I could have cut about 5 minutes off of my time.
What would you do differently?:

More races for experience.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

Took my time being my first tri. Actually jumped the fence and went to the porta john.

Skipped the porta john!
Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike didn't seem so bad to me. I know a lot of others mentioned the wind, but it didn't really bother me. I think between being glad I was done with the swim and the fact that a lot of my training rides seemed to be in windy conditions, the bike portion was overall pretty good. Besides the beginning of the bike, the course was flat.

I will definitely push myself a little more on the bike next time. I was comfortable with my pace, but definitely could have gone a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 03m 56s
Comments:

Fairly smooth for my first time. Talked to brother for a bit before leaving T2.

Not much...skipped the chatter with family maybe?
Run
  • 1h 04m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I had heard the run was hilly, but wasn't expecting it to be that bad. Seemed to hit a wall around 1st mile. It also seemed to be a lot warmer than it had been around here for all year. Ended up walking a couple of the hills. While I never will be a sub 8:00 runner, I think I need to work more on this area of my racing to at least get my times in the high 8's to low 9's.

Train more!
Post race
Event comments:

Not the most qualified to comment on this race since it was my first, but it seemed to be very orgainzed and well run. I think I am addicted though to the triathlon scene. I need to tell the wife to hide the checkbook and credit cards :)!

Last updated: 2008-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:32 | 1640 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 84/90
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Ventilator
Course: Triangle course. About what I expected. Could have done without the diesel fuel fumes from one of the support boats.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:00 | 24.85 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 77/90
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Basic loop through country roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:59 | 06.21 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 77/90
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with some (at least for a Memphian) pretty brutal hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-20 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN
Subject: Memphis in May

2008-05-20 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1413322

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Memphis in May
Great job, especially for your 1st tri. I wish you had talked to your family for another 37 seconds (you beat me by 36 sec). I had a hard tme on the swim too (check my race report for details). See you next year!
2008-05-20 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great first race, TRIATHLETE! You picked a pretty tough event for your first, especially with that wind. They only get easier from here. Just be sure to make mental notes of what you learned so you can apply those lessons in the future. Really, your times are very good for your first tri. Congrats, again!
2008-05-22 2:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

The swim did me as well! I had the hardest time trying to catch a breath also. I told my wife that if I ever wondered what it felt like to have a hert attack, I bet it was similiar to the first 300 yards for me!

Good job on tackling MIM for your 1st!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Rss Feed