General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone using Don Fink's "Be Ironfit" Plans? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-07 4:06 PM

User image

Scotland
Subject: Anyone using Don Fink's "Be Ironfit" Plans?
Is anyone using Don Fink's "Be Ironfit" training plans from his new book of the same name?

Thinking of following his "Competitive" plan for my upcoming 1st IM IMUK

Thanks

2005-01-07 4:10 PM
in reply to: #100615

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: Anyone using Don Fink's "Be Ironfit" Plans?
Hey George! I'm ending week 3 of the competitive IM program. Loving it so far. I did have an oly base coming into it though. I'm actually using it to prepare me for my first 1/2 IM. I plan on a couple of 1/2's this year and going for the full IM next year. I decided there's no point in rushing and getting injured.

Enjoyed the book and so far the plan is working out real good for me.

John
2005-01-07 4:13 PM

User image

Scotland
Excellent stuff John. I'll be starting week 1 in 3 weeks time.
Doing some prep 1st
2005-01-07 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
I did the same. I spent about 3 weeks following the first week but with reduced times and just built up to week one. Now I'm off and feeling pretty good. Keep in touch.
2005-01-07 5:23 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I'm "sort of" using it...except:

1) I'm doing a Half IM this spring, so I'm using it up to week 22 where he has the HIM as a practice race. I'm just looking to finish the race, so I'm not too worried that it's actually an IM plan.

2)And since swimming is new to me, I've replace Fink's workouts with Total Immersion.

3)I'm still trying to sort out all the different heart rate zones and methods, so I may end up changing Fink's zones to something more in line with Friel's.

4) I'm doing a longer long run than the schedule calls for. I come from a running background and I see no reason to drop my mileage way down. I'll keep it as is until the plan catches up.

But other than that, I'm following the schedule of workouts. 4 weeks into it...pretty good so far.
2005-01-07 5:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

Lots of good replies for you so far.

A discussion has been made on this book on the Iron Distance section of the forums.  Go check it out if you want to

2005-01-07 5:41 PM

User image

Ames, Iowa
I've been using BeIronFit to prepare for Ironman Wisconsin next September.

Right now, I am using a modified schedule of the competitive base workouts to stay in shape, as it is a few weeks too early to begin actual training for the race.

Coming from a marathoning background, I am doing longer runs than scheduled for the base workouts, usually at least a two hour run once a week. A decent swimmer, I have been able to keep up quite well with the base swimming workouts. However, because I don't have a strong biking background, I am ramping up the length of my rides more slowly than suggested, following the 10% only increase per week guideline.

I decided to use BeIronFit after reading several other books on training for ironman-length races, because I liked the straightforward approach suggested in it. The book just made the most sense for my circumstances.

But, we'll see....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone using Don Fink's "Be Ironfit" Plans? Rss Feed