Ironman North America Athlete Services
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 10m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine was pretty normal. I got up early so I didnt' have to rush. My brother, Matt, and I headed over to Fort Wilderness to meet Randy and Lance since they had a cabin there. We got there around 4:30. Ate a bagel with some peanut butter and a yogurt. We headed to the transition area around 4:45. It was great having the guys stay there, Matt dropped us off almost at the transistion area.
Event warmup:

The boys were with the Challenged Athletes Foundation so they went off right after the pros. I said good bye to Matt and Morgan and went to get in the water. I was almost late for my start!
Swim
  • 53m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

So swimming is by far the weakness in any aspect of triathlon. I pretty much hate it. My wave was the last wave of women, so I was fully expecting to get knocked around a little bit. I stood at the back of the wave as the gun went off. I've been working on keeping my face in the water. Last year I did the entire race doggie paddling. My goal was to be out the water in 50 minutes. When I got out there I knew it was going to be a long morning. It was really choppy. I don't know if anyone else thought so, but it was pretty rough for someone who doesn't swim like me. I did okay for the first few hundred yards, concentrating on putting my face in the water and actually "swimming". Then came the boys and it was all over. I swear I've never had my butt and legs grabbed more in my life! I took in a lot of water and just tried to keep calm. There were a bunch of people hanging on to rafts and boards. That really didn't help the confidance. I could finally see my brother and Morgan standing on the beach. By this point I was ready to be done with the swim. I knew I wasn't going to be out in 50 minutes, but I figured with the conditions it was okay.
What would you do differently?:

Put my face in the water and actually swim! Next year I want to be out of the water in 42 minutes!
Transition 1
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

T1 was great! I remembered from last year that it was a long way from the water to the transition area. In and out, no worries here.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 18m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I live here in Windermere, so the course literally passed my neighborhood. I have trained on it a few times over the last few months. I thought the course was a little windy. The first few miles went alond pretty quickly. I was worried I was drinking too much water when my areo bottle was empty at mile 12. Thank godness there was an aid station at around 13 or 14. Refilled there and was good to go. Used a mix of Perpetum and Heed. Did a 24 oz bottle every hour and a half. That worked out great. Other than the wind in the beginning things were going well. Then the skies opened up and down came the rain. At first it was refreshing, then just annoying. I was worried I was going to wipe out especially during all of the turns. I dropped my new sunglasses at around mile 37. Crap! They were brand new.

I had to stop at the aid station to use the rest room at around mile 40. There was a great kid who was volunteering. He saw I was coming over to him and asked if I was okay. I told him I just had to pee and he screams, "we've got a pit stop!" All of these volunteers come running over. One helps me off my bike, the other holds the door to the port a potty. When I came out a few seconds later, there was a fresh water in one of my bottle holders, my areo bottle had been refilled and I had a stash of Gu in my bento box! I couldn't believe it! That made my ride.

I hopped back on the bike and was ready to get this thing done. I was very happy to pull back into Fort Wilderness. I'm pretty sure the bike was long, my GSP said we were at 58 miles.

Looking back, I probably could have pushed it a little harder on the bike. That dang rain messed me up. I was scared I was going to fall!
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

When I got back to the transistion area there were volunteers telling everyone to be careful not to fall. I finally got to my stuff and of course it was soaking wet. Nice. I went from one wet pair of socks to another. Put my visor on and was out.

Have a pair of waterproof socks?
Run
  • 2h 50m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out and was thrilled to be on the final leg of the race. I was so slow on the bike that there were tons of people cheering on all of the runners. The first lap was okay, my plan was to run a mile and walk for 2 minutes. It was crazy hot! The run walk plan didn't work out so well as it was like a sauna out there. I ran as much as I could and walked a good amount. I was stopping at evey aid station and pouring tons of water over my head. I've never been a "water dumper" but I guess I am now. Every aid station it was the same thing....GE, water to drink, water to dump and ice down the front and back of the tri suit. I ended up meeting some great people from Miami who are doing IMCDA next month. The lady was so sweet! She kept telling me how great I looked. I saw Randy and knew that he was one lap ahead of me. When I started the second lap I saw Lea, Rick, Ken, Kathy and Dave. That was awesome! Talk about motivation. Lea just kept telling me to listen to my body and everyone else was cheering for me.

At about mile 6 I met a girl named Mary from Fort Lauderdale. We got each other through the next 6 miles. We would set little goals....run to the sign....walk to the tree. And so on and so forth. Man was it hot! We saw the gang again as we started our last lap. Lea told us to take care of each other. We started again with the run/walk and caught up to Mary's friend, Rachel, and her new friend, Eddie. We were together until about a 12.5. I was ready to be done with this thing. I kicked it up and ran towards the finish. I saw Matt, Morgan, Randy and the rest of the Tri Junkies there waiting for me. It was awesome!

I think this went well. Probably a little under trained. Running a little more would have been a great idea.
Post race
Warm down:

Listen to the announcer say my name and that I lived in Windermere. He then told everyone that I rode in my neighborhoon. I thought that was kind of cool. I posed for my photo and got my hat and shirt. I went back and waited for Mary and Rachel. Gave them a hug and said congrats! Saw the Tri Junkies and everyone at the finish line. We went in the VIP tent and had a sandwich. No beer! What the heck???

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:15 | 2112 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 64/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:18:45 | 56 miles | 16.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:50:54 | 13.1 miles | 13m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-20 10:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2008-05-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1415263

User image

Regular
Orlando
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
Congratulations!
2008-05-23 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1415263

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
great race in conditions that were 'less than optimal'..... Congratulations on finishing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed