United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 28m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at work until 6ish and then Gloria and Aubrey and I, along with 2,000 of our closests friends walked over to the race site.
Event warmup:

Stretch the legs/arms/neck out. Right side of the neck very bothersome today, really achy!

Had a powerbar (1/2) at about 5ish. Never did take my powergel.

Run
  • 28m
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

So, I had said earlier in the week that I wanted to be the first female from Blair to finish, and well, that didn't happen. I pretty much realized this when I looked up some of the other ladies from Blair and saw their past race times (everyone does this, right?) and knew going into tonight that my goal for this race would have to be changed to placing in the top 5, and I achieved that...I was the 5th best time out of 38 females for William Blair.

Another good thing is my side pain stayed away...BUT, there was about a 1/2 mile stretch where I felt like it could come on, and I know it could be attributed to the breathing getting shallower (is that a word) and that was because of the HEAVY BBQ fumes coming from all of the tents...with my springtime allergies, it was almost unbearable.

My FAVORITE part of any race is the finish....I always save just enough to have a good "kick" at the end, and tonight, I just didn't have it. It's amazing to me how I did not toss my cookies right there on the home stretch on Columbes to be quite honest....the thick smoke smell coming off all of the grills was so very overpowering. I think that combined with the fact that it was absolutely mother fricking freezing tonight, (I'm sorry, isn't it May 22nd...where the hell is our warm weather????) just made that last 1/2 mile a lot tougher than I would have prefered.

Overall though, I am quite happy with my performance.

I have to be completely honest though, and say, I don't think it was a full 3.5 mile race...I would be shocked if I really did run 8 minute miles.
But, it is what it is, and it was fun.

Met up with Marc after...he did it in 21 something...ya, whatever Mr. Ironman!

Oh, the other cool thing...Chicago was the BIGGEST city this year...we even beat New York!!! WHOOO HOOO! Way to go Chitown!
What would you do differently?:

Get a better starting positon...but is this even possible in this race?

On a cold night like tonight, I would have brought more clothes to put on after...Marc was right, I should have brought a heavier pullover or jacket and some gloves...yes, on May 22nd, it really was THAT cold!
Post race
Warm down:

Does eating really awesome prepared food by William Blair's very own caterers and drinking ice cold beer constitue a warm-down?

Then if so, that's what I did.

But, like I said above, I didn't stay long because it was so very, very cold. Hung out with Marc until he told me my lips may be turning blue, so we walked to the el, and went our separate ways home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowds...will try to get further up next year.

Last updated: 2008-05-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:00 | 03.5 miles | 08m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: SUCKED! This race was more crowded than Shamrock, and I didn't think I'd ever say that again. There was a turn, onto monroe I think, where you had to turn around, and I TOTALLY got stuck behind a whole crapload of people, and it totally threw my momentum off. There seemed to be a lot of turns on this run, which has had a tendancy in the past to aggravate the side and make it MADDDD!! Didn't do too bad tonight though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-22 11:01 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: JP Morgan Corporate Challenge

2008-05-27 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1420637

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: JP Morgan Corporate Challenge
What is most important is that you didn't have the side pain.  That, in and of itself, is a HUGE step in the right direction.  Nice job. 
2008-05-27 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1420637

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JP Morgan Corporate Challenge Rss Feed