Track Shack
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 52s
Overall Rank = 991/1334
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 62/106
Pre-race routine:

O.k., this was my first event ever! The point was to have fun & see what it was like to be in an event. So I didn't take it too seriously. Last night I drank wine...maybe a little too much. But, really, I felt great this morning. I got up early, drank my chia milk & tea & drove to the race about 45 minutes away & just hung out & people-watched & walked around to warm up the legs a little.
Event warmup:

Walking & a little calf stretching.
Run
  • 37m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I kept pace with my partner. He said I could go faster for the experience, but it was the first event for both of us & I really wanted to do it together. Great decision! What fun!!! I normally do intervals & didn't for this. We jogged until he got a little tired & then started the intervals at about mile 2. I felt great the whole way & could have skipped the intervals all together! The atmosphere was fabulous! I'm glad I didn't take my IPod, 'cause I spent time listening to other people talk & was fascinated.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I'll leave the man in the dust & just run my own pace - we've already discussed it. This was our break-out experience & now I'll work for the next one. Don't know if it will significantly improve my time, but we'll see.
I'll definitely walk around more after the run next time & stretch out the calves & hips. Walking straight to the bus with my exhausted man was a bad idea!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked straight to the bus & rode back to the field. Calves & hip cramped, because I'm used to stretching after my run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Personal decision to pace with my partner.

Event comments:

Lousy T-Shirt, but they gave out a tree after the race, which was great! I got a maple & he got a cedar. We're giving them to our parents. Organization was great & it's for a great cause - planting trees.

The course was absolutely beautiful - wonderful people & so much fun!!!

Last updated: 2008-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:52 | 03.11 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 62/106
Overall: 0/1334
Performance: Good
Didn't wear the HR monitor, I just went by "feel." Felt GREAT the entire time! Sprinted the last 1/4 mile, just for fun.
Course: Flat road with sand for the last 3/4 mile.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-24 5:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Run for the Trees

2008-05-26 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1423164

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: RE: Run for the Trees

It is always good to have a great first experience!  It lets you know what you are currently capable of and what to strive for next time! 

Go water your tree! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for the Trees Rss Feed