2008-05-26 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1423204

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-05-26 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1424649

Expert
Southeast
Subject: RE: Dealing with dogs while running?
DaveH - 2008-05-26 3:26 PM

I always see lots of suggestions for using peper spray on this forum. Is this stuff legal throughout the US for this purpose? I have had several discussions with police here in Canada and get varying opinions, but it is border-line illegal here. I did manage to find some in a gunsmith shop that was marketed as bear repellent and I carry that, but there apparently isn't any pepper spray sold up here for use on dogs.

Well, I would imagine that bear repellent would work.

There are restrictions in some states (e.g., NY, MA, WI, MI), either on the allowed strength and ingredients, or on where you can purchase it.  There are also local ordinances.  But it is legal, in some form, in all states, as far as I know.  (I'm not a lawyer, however, but this info is easy to find online.)  One can buy it online, though whether they will ship it to Canada I don't know.   You have cheap prescription drugs.  We have pepper spray.  Fair deal?

2008-05-26 10:01 PM

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
HALT is a thin direct stream, Bear Spray is a huge fog... and I wouldn't recommend it. At least try ordering HALT from Bike NASHBAR or similar online source first.
HALT works wonders, and Dogs learn immediately. I've stopped charging snarling Dobies, shoulder-high Great Danes, etc. etc., and the most I've ever had to do was hold the stuff out at them a 2nd time weeks later- as if to say 'Recognize This'?
But most of them never made a move towards me again, even to the point of loose dogs in a pack stopping in the ditch and turning away from me rather than chase me as they had before.
The only response you need to the owner is AFTER you discipline his dog, if he wants to talk to you... "Sir, either YOU teach your dogs, or I will." End of discussion.

2008-05-26 11:44 PM

Something to keep in your bag of tricks from way back in my paperboy days. Turn and face the dog, firmly say/yell "go home" and bend down and PRETEND to pick up a rock while maintaining eye contact. It's ok to pick up a real rock but I've never had to. Every dog that's come at me has had someone chuck a rock at them before and knows the drill. They almost always turn and leave. Once in a while you may need to cock your arm to get ready for a pretend throw.

I'm sure pepper spray would work too but try the above if you get caught unprepared.

2008-05-27 4:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Last week when I was out running there was this little annoying yippy dog inside a large fenced yard that was intent on running along and barking at me. As the dog was making a detour around a tree along the fence I jumped at the fence meeting him almost face to face while letting out a loud growling sound at him. You would have thought I had kicked the dog the way he sailed off yelping. A little mean, but it did make me feel better!
2008-05-27 4:44 PM

Champion
Butler
You could always spray it with a water bottle if you have one handy.  I agree that talking with the owner will probably not yield good result. 

2008-05-29 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1424935

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
mdickson68 - 2008-05-26 7:06 PM

You have cheap prescription drugs.  We have pepper spray.  Fair deal?

Hehe, I suppose so. Another difference is that handguns often get mentioned in these threads and I don't think that would fly up here either

The other day I was looking for a small key ring that I could attach my house key to and that would fit in the small pocket of my running shorts when I run. My wife had a bright idea and handed me a small but very loud whistle on a ring that I could attach my key to.  Have not had a chance to try it yet but I don't think the dogs will like it.

2008-05-29 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1424696

Expert
MA
Syaotblh - 2008-05-26 4:39 PM

I've got a dog I deal w/ running & riding. I called animal control only to be told - try spraying w/ bleach. I also contacted the police, who said it was in the sheriff's area. Contacted them but they said to call animal control. It was a never ending circle. Now I yell at the dog and if I'm riding keep the bike between me & her. Good luck.

That's how it always happens. Getting chased into a ditch just isn't on their radar. They'll take a note and do nothing. Maybe if the dog actually bites you they'll do something, but even then, odds are they'll go out and talk to the owner but not actually do anything else. It's up to you to protect yourself, not animal control or the Police. Do what you must to stay safe. If that means slapping the dog when it nips at you, or kicking it away, or pepper spraying the dog... well, it's either you or the dog at that point. Don't let it be you. The dog has a crappy owner but there's no reason for you to be injured over it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dealing with dogs while running? Rss Feed  

of 2