General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dealing with dogs while running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-05-24 6:30 PM

User image

Subject: Dealing with dogs while running?

Hello everyone-

So i was out for a TT 2mi run today and there is a house on the road that i have had problems with before.  They have 4 dogs and are usually chained up but they go nuts when i run by.  Well today on my way back i checked to make sure they are all there tied up like i normally do when i saw one was lose. 

This 40-50lb collie came running at me.  It jumped and nipped at my waist.  I managed to jump into the ditch (i live in the country so it is 8'-10' deep) and avoided the bite.  I climb out to see the owner standing there just staring.  I pointed at the dog and threw my hands up.  He just shrugged his shoulders and truned around.  The dog ran infront of me for 100yds or so untill i yelled at it and if finally ran home.

So my question is this.  How would you deal with this situation?  The owner doesn't seem to care.  Maybe i should have a heart to heart with him? Or is the police a better option?  I know if it does bite me, I will be the last person he bites.

Thanks for the advice

Troy 

2008-05-24 7:08 PM
in reply to: #1423204

User image

Veteran
western iowa, almost nebraska.
Subject: RE: Dealing with dogs while running?
Call animal control, explain the situation, they will send people by the house and test the animal, if the owner doesn't help, they will remedy the situation by removing the dog to a better habitat.
2008-05-24 7:22 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario
I'd register a complaint with both the police and animal control (simultaneously).
2008-05-24 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England

also for future runs take a pepper spray and spray it if need be!  We had some people around here have problems cycling past some dogs and they say they always carry pepper spray now. I believe you can buy it at police stations or I am sure they will know where to get it.

Just don't risk getting bitten. 

2008-05-25 2:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

Like others have mentioned get some pepper spray.  I'd also call animal control like someone suggested.  In the mean time carry stones with you.  I guess as the dog went for you, you could file a police report (not sure how or if that's possible where you are).

2008-05-25 6:12 AM

User image

Thanks for the advice all.  I will be calling animal control.  Never thought of the pepper spray before.  might have to pick some up.  Just really makes me mad when im running along at a 192 HR and i get to jump into a ditch.

Thanks and be safe

Troy 

2008-05-25 7:35 AM

Regular
There's a ton of spoiled people out there who grew up being seriously selfish. What a jerk this dog owner is. Next time kick the living h*ll out of the dog. You could probably permanently put it out of commission pretty quickly and if its trying to bite you, it deserves it. Its self defense and you have a right to it.

If this happens regularly along with reporting it, you might start carrying a hand held sonic device to repel dogs. I don't have one but might get one to keep my neighbors' cat away from my bird feeders.

http://www.pimall.com/nais/dog.html

Marc
2008-05-25 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
dogs ? I have that same problem with Canada Geese ...
2008-05-25 11:07 AM

User image

Westminster, CO

ha!  I had a similar instance with a goose this past week. 

Its unusual for a collie to be so aggressive (IMO).  Animal control is your solution, as suggested. 

You may want to have a discussion with the owner.  You shouldn't have to, but it may be more direct than having the police or animal control involved.

2008-05-25 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
It sounds like the collie was just acting on its natural herding instinct by nipping at the waist. My collie sometimes does the same thing to other runners while I'm out running with her (She's always on a leash). Their instinct is to keep the "pack" together and one separates they nip in an attempt to get them back. Besides, chasing after something that is running in in every dog's instinct. Next time your out, stop for a moment and let the dog sniff you. It might just ignore you after that. Talk to the owner.
2008-05-25 11:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-05-25 2:01 PM

Forget the pepper spray; forget animal control. On your next run just bring your Glock 9!
2008-05-25 2:09 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

What are the leash laws in your area?  In Wisconsin the animal is supposed to be on a leash.

Did the dog get onto the road?  If so, fair game (at least to me)!

Trophytaker and Invigilator gave some good advice.  Dumbazz doesn't seem to care, so, he must disregard common sense of control.

One problem, this is a situation of "he said, you said".  What would be nice would to have another witness/partner to document to verify the situation to give you better leverage, unless the dog left marks on the "attack".  With you having to jump in a ditch for evasive action is another problem for the owner, since you don't know if you'll jump into something sharp or ??

Nip this in the bud quickly (no pun intended).

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2008-05-25 2:13 PM
2008-05-25 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1423592

Coach
Boston, MA
emd9702 - 2008-05-25 11:40 AM It sounds like the collie was just acting on its natural herding instinct by nipping at the waist. My collie sometimes does the same thing to other runners while I'm out running with her (She's always on a leash). Their instinct is to keep the "pack" together and one separates they nip in an attempt to get them back. Besides, chasing after something that is running in in every dog's instinct. Next time your out, stop for a moment and let the dog sniff you. It might just ignore you after that. Talk to the owner.

That doesn't make it acceptable. If a dog comes to nip my waist based on instinct, it then risks to get a not so friendly instinct reaction from me. Sorry but it is your dog; make sure it doesn't hassle others no matter how friendly you think it is.

2008-05-25 2:35 PM

Mid Ohio
I have had several instances where a dog will start to chase me (I run with my dog, so dogs are twice as interested) I stop and face them and they usually stop there. If they continue at me I will run at them. This almost always does the trick. I have had to kick a few dogs. The key is to make the dog believe you are dominant over them. In my experience; the smaller the dog the harder it is to get them to stop.

The mace is a good idea, I do not have any but will probably get some soon to save my foot!

I also want to mention that the dogs are not to blame, the owners are solely responsible. I have a German Shepard mix and a Rottie. They are both very friendly, but I know that not everyone is ok with dogs friendly or not. So I keep them away from the people that are nervous about the dogs.

I have actually had more close calls on my bike than running, but that is another thread.

Scott
2008-05-25 2:59 PM

Regular
Memphis, TN

I have been bitten by a Collie while biking. They are herding dogs and will nip at you. While their bites are usually not injuring, they are not something you want to deal with. As above, animal control, police, pepper spray, and maybe a conversation with Mr. Shoulder Shrug

2008-05-25 3:09 PM

Expert
Southeast

Confronting the dog verbally while walking towards it almost always works.  There are a few dogs along one of my long run routes with whom I've come to an 'understanding' -- now I just have to tell them to go away and they do it.  Pepper spray also works.  Talking to owners is admirable, but rarely works. (I've tried it dozens of times, never with success.  I'm a slow learner...)

I don't recommend doing physical violence to the dog, even if it feels good, for two reasons.  First, dogs require training to learn not to do this sort of thing (it's their natural instinct), and the fault for their lack of training is with the owner.  (So feel free to kick the owner...)  Second, and more practical, unless you have a witness, you are potentially letting yourself in for a lot of grief -- its the owner's word against yours, and unless you have bite marks (and if you do, then it's time to call animal control), this confrontation will be no fun at all, especially if Bubba is good friends with the local sheriff.

2008-05-25 3:41 PM

Veteran

My husband takes pepper spray when he rides his bike, because there are a lot of loose dogs in our area.  It's called HALT, and it's specially formulated for dogs, and the stream will go up to 12 feet. We pick it up at our local bike shop.

I would hate to see a dog put down because of an irresponsible owner, so the owner should definitely be made aware of the situation.  My hubby had to go to the ER last year over a dog bite, and the owner will subsequently have to be sued for costs incurred for resulting medical bills.  The ER protocol was to notify law enforcement, and they took the dog into custody for quarantine to be sure he wasn't rabbid. Luckily for everyone, he wasn't, but it was still an ordeal.

2008-05-25 4:20 PM

Extreme Veteran

A question for those that have had use pepper spray on a dog (or any other target). Does the concentration stay on target or does it pretty much put an end to your run as well? I've seen clips of people getting maced as a demonstration for local news/etc, but those were pretty controlled situations.

I also had a coworker whose husband got maced trying to break up a fight in a bar (he was an off duty cop, the bouncer who maced him is probably still getting parking tickets for that one). Anyway, the coworker said the entire bar had to be cleared as it was like someone had shot off a tear gas canister.

At a minimum, I'd think you'd want to make sure you kept your "spraying hand" away from your eyes/nose if you were able to keep going. Better than being bitten, or worse if you are spraying a two legged attacker, but probably best to be prepared for what happens after you push the spray button.

2008-05-25 4:28 PM

Thanks for the concern everyone.  I am going for a run tomarrow and if the owner is outside I will "try" and talk with him.  I love dogs (had a mut and a huske growing up) and would hate for anything to happen but my saftey comes 1st.  I would hate for something to happen to a kid if it where walking down the road or something along those lines.  And yes i was one the other side of the road than the house where the dog lives. 

Thanks, Troy

Edited by DaddyD 2008-05-25 4:35 PM
2008-05-25 5:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
I just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain. A pit bull ran at me the other day when I was WALKING to get to the point where I was going to start running. I was on the other side of the street from her house. She was almost on top of me before I even saw she was there, she moved so fast. She ran right by me once, and then ran back to her yard and started running at me again. I stood my ground and shouted "NO" and "STOP". I think being assertive helped, and I assume she at least has some understanding of what the word "no" means. I definitely would have tried to kick it or do whatever I needed to if she would have kept coming at me, but seeing as how she probably weighed about the same as I do I'm not sure how effective I would be.

Remember that it is the owner's fault, not the dog's. I called the cops and they told me that I can feel free to take the dogs life if she tries to attack me again, but they also suggested trying to contact the owner (doesn't sound like that would help, in your instance, and I'm kind of guessing it wouldn't in mine either) and getting pepper spray. I am on the hunt for pepper spray right now and I won't be running again around here without it. I live on a cul-de-sac and have to go by that house in order to go anywhere. Also, I live in an unincorporated village so there is no animal control so that's not an option for me. Good luck!

2008-05-25 6:11 PM

Expert
Southeast
In 20+ years of running, I've pepper sprayed exactly one time.  I have running buddies who have done it a few times.  It worked for me, and apparently for them as well.  Spray away from yourself and obviously not into the wind.  This is usually not a problem, as typically the dog will be behind you.  I was able to keep running, no problem. Yes, keep your hands away from eyes and nose.  The dog was fine -- it just whimpered back to its yard.
2008-05-25 9:19 PM

I do think that you should at least report the owner to animal control, especially if these dogs are loose more than once.  That way if other people  (or you) also have problems, there will be exisiting records.  It's dangerous, not only for the people, but also for the dog.

As for dealing with the dog itself, it probably depends on your comfort level. Mace or pepper spray seems, to me, to be a last resort (I should probably admit that I am a dog person).  I have encountered many dogs while I was running and walking (sometimes with my dog on a leash which is an even more volatile situation).  The most important thing is not to keep running (i.e. run away from the dog) since that may invoke it's prey drive (or herding drive in the case of a collie). Try a command such as sit. Since it doesn't sound like the owner is at all responsible it may not work.  A loud and firm "No" may work.  I have actaully had a lot of success with what I can only embarassingly describe as my "don't do that noise" that I use with my dog; a kind of 'ah'; it's very sharp.  It has worked for me multiple times, keeping dogs at bay, even when I have had mine with me.  They just keep a certain distance away and I calmly walk away (keeping an eye on them of course).  It completely depends on the dog of course, if they don't respond to firm, sharp vocal commands, then by all means, pepper spray away. Your safety always comes first.

Wow, since I haven't actually ever run a triathlon (yet), I am very excited to be able to post something that doesn't make me seem entirely unknowledgeable.

2008-05-25 10:37 PM
in reply to: #1423786

Veteran
wingsfan - 2008-05-25 4:20 PM

A question for those that have had use pepper spray on a dog (or any other target). Does the concentration stay on target or does it pretty much put an end to your run as well?

I can only give an observation based on what my hubby uses (HALT) but the product claims to use a concentrated stream.  He has had to use it a handful of times just this year, and never so much as has to wash his hands when he gets home from continuing his normal ride. He doesn't have to wash the pepper spray off, at least.  The sweat is another matter.....   :P

2008-05-26 2:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

I was herded into the ditch on my bike by a border collie in a rural area last month, and the owner was not helpful. The police were very helpful and had a talk with the owner.

I always see lots of suggestions for using peper spray on this forum. Is this stuff legal throughout the US for this purpose? I have had several discussions with police here in Canada and get varying opinions, but it is border-line illegal here. I did manage to find some in a gunsmith shop that was marketed as bear repellent and I carry that, but there apparently isn't any pepper spray sold up here for use on dogs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dealing with dogs while running? Rss Feed  

of 2