General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Insulin pump and swimming? Any advice welcome. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-24 10:03 PM

New user

Subject: Insulin pump and swimming? Any advice welcome.
So I am just getting ready to add swimming to my training and I need some advice on what to do with and about my insulin pump.

I have been on my pump less than a year and have never been swimming in that time. I was hoping some folks could give me a few pointers or lessons learned about how they work with their pump and swimming. I haven't been disconnected from my pump for longer than 20 minutes since I first hooked it up. Which is a little strange to think about.

So here are a few of my concerns/questions...
How much do you reduce your basal before disconnecting to swim? Or do you even make any changes to your basal before disconnecting? What do you shoot for as a starting blood sugar before disconnecting? How do your sugars react while being disconnected for 20-30-40 minutes or an hour at a time?

I am looking for a good starting point to begin my trial and (hopefully few) error process with swimming. I know managing sugars and exercise is different for everybody, but this site has been a great source of info for me as I have gooten myself healthy so I welcome all feed back.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers!
phouse23

2008-05-25 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1423365

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Insulin pump and swimming? Any advice welcome.

hi Patrick,

let me start by saying that I am not diabetic but my husband is and is also on a pump.  I worked aquatics at a local YMCA for years and one of the teen lifeguards there was also on a pump.   She would just take it off before she went for a swim and test when she got out.  She usually didn't have to make any adjustments as the exercise helps to keep glucose levels down.  This girl was on the swim team and would swim hard, for long periods and was fine.

My husband rides a lot (several hours at a time) and always rides without the pump.  He always tests when we're done and has never had a problem.  

The only things I would suggest is to test before getting in the water and as soon as you get out.  If you start feeling funky when swimming get out, funky can turn ugly real quick as you probably know, especially in the water. 

good luck with your training and send an email if you want to chat with my husband about anything.

2008-05-26 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Patrick,

I'm Diabetic type 1 - but still use the old school combo of shots, basal+fast acting. I have the feel that for sessions up to one hour, you would be OK by only disconnecting the pump, any possible raise in sugarlevel will be compensated with the exercise,and your metabolism will be running higher for a bit after the session, so you will be OK, IMO.

It wouldnt hurt to shoot an email to your doctor though, just to make sure he understand you are training, etc.

Good luck,
Vinnie

2008-05-27 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1424525

New user

Thanks.

Problem is my doctor doesn't have much information beyond an exercise regime that consists of walking for 30 minutes three times a week. Mostly she deals with older Type 2 diabetics in her practice. Plus, she generally will give text book advice which as we diabetic know is only part of the story because we are all so unique in terms of mangement. If I had followed exactly her "text book" advice I would never have made it to the starting line, much less the finish line of the few races I have completed thus far. Medically speaking I think they have to operate from a "here's all the bad things that can happen" stand point which is good so you know all the risks. But if you stay in that mind set you will never get to live a rewarding life. I have been in that mind set too long and starting and finishing this triathlon in the Fall will be a great reward for myself.

Don't get me worng my doc is great and has really helped me get much better control but she is a little behind the curve in this area.

I have used this site, my pump manufacturers site, and the DESA site to put together a plan I think will work. Now, it is just a matter of carefully getting started.

It is great to know there are lots of folks out there going through the same trials as I am and that there are so many willing to help out. Thanks again to every one on this site.
2008-05-28 5:23 AM
in reply to: #1425503

User image

Veteran
I've had an experience similar to yours when I first was diagnosed with Type1. The doctor herself was one of the 3x30' walk a week type of person, so I think thats a big problem, she just couldnt understand what tri-training is, i remember advices like "lower your basal shoot in the morning before exercise days" Its funny when I look back now.

Bottom line, I switched doctors, got a marathon runner who was also diabetic, 20 marathons under his belt, we even had runs together, he sort taught me how to manage my diabetes, instead of give me orders, textbook advices, etc, i think this was a good way to go.

Good luck,

Vinnie

2009-06-06 11:38 AM

check out the website for www.diabetestrainingcamp.com these are the best doctors for diabetics and athletes ever.... it is a week long camp full of advice from world class athletes, coaches and CDE's.

there is also a group called www.triabetes.org and they have started some thing called Phrendo and it all about triathletes and diabetics

mj

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Insulin pump and swimming? Any advice welcome. Rss Feed