General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Crystal River, Florida
United States
Crystal River Triathlon Series
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 20s
Overall Rank = 158/244
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Was running late, and hadn't signed up for the race online, so ran to get that done, then got dyslexic body markings (355 on my arms but 335 on my legs, so they yelled at me to go back), so had to get re-bodymarked...then grabbed the bikes...set up while partially listening to the announcer explain the race course...then it was time to start...
Event warmup:

Running around before the race...
Swim
  • 07m 14s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was so short...compared to all the other two races I've had this year...when we were turning to go back to the shore, I accidently kept going straight cause I wasn't used to such a short swim course...was really nice not to be battered by waves and stung by jellyfish like the last race:)
What would you do differently?:

Get yet another new pair of goggles, they leaked, which isn't the most fun in salt water...
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Feet in kitty litter container, socks on, shoes on, watch on, sunglassses on, helmet on...off I go...

I could have gone faster on this - it was a really short run to transition, no real excuse why I didn't...I should have...oh well...

go faster...not take the time to put the watch on in transition...
Bike
  • 48m 34s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Really a perfect day for biking...I felt awesome on the bike, kept focused, kept trying to keep up with a couple other people around me, which kept me from getting significantly slower over time...

garmin clocked this at 15.25mi and 19.0mph...so, I really went faster than it looks...

Nothing...except make it so the course was actually 15mi...a really good bike for me!
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Couldn't tighten my shoes...
I put my yanks in last night, and I think they got tangled...on my left shoe, I couldn't get them to tighten, and the thing started breaking (I could see the white part of the elastic) so I pulled it as much as I could - the bottom was tight, but the middle/top was loose, took a drink, and off I went...

I think I could have been at least 30s faster in this transition and 30s faster in T1 if I'd tried harder...if I had been, I could have gotten first in age group...since I'm usually close to last in age group, that just woulda been really cool!

Test out the yanks beforehand...
Run
  • 29m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The road itself was on a crazy angle, couldn't get to a place where it was level...I felt like that V8 commercial were the guy is walking and is at a 45 degree angle...so that was weird...

It started to get a bit hot cause the sun came out from the clouds, but I felt good, and was determined to go under 10min/mile, and not walk at all...my first half-mile was under 9min/mile...WISH I coulda kept that up, but still a great improvement from last year...really want to be able to get around 9min/mile by the end of the season...

Keep doing what I'm doing to get better at running...seeing improvement instead of just complaining about not improving is a really good thing!
Post race
Warm down:

SO much fun!! Saw Jeff, Wendi, and Sue...got to talk to them...
Then, the people we carpooled with - Bill and his daughter Lauren - who have both done a million triathlons had a birthday cake for one of his friends, so we sang Happy Birthday, got some super yummy ice cream cake...then came to the awards ceremony and was SHOCKED to see that I got 3rd in age group (only a minute from 1st in age group!)...granted, my age group was slow compared to some of the others...but it is just so awesome to get something, instead of getting - you know - not:)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt good today...I went out to have fun, I did...met my goals, and got to hang out with really great people - what more could you ask for!

Event comments:

Really nice race, super nice people...I'm still baffled how they can keep track of this many people without timing chips...really impressive!

Last updated: 2008-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:14 | 440 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/244
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto shorts and top
Course: a "u"
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:34 | 15 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Overall: 0/244
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Straight out and back...
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:31 | 03 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 166/244
Performance: Good
Course: Straight out and back, drink station at mile1 and mile2
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-24 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Subject: Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1

2008-05-25 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1423370

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1

Congrats on a great race Tonya AND hardware!! Hope to see you back there in July! 

2008-05-25 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
great Job Tonya   Good to see you again
2008-05-25 2:51 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome job Tonya.  Congrats on 3rd and your HW.  The closeness of time in your age group is why you need to race as hard as you can all the time.  30s in each transition would have done it.  I think between you and Wendi you were baking brownies in T1.  Congrats on a great run.  My computer said the bike was pretty close to 15.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1 Rss Feed