Windsor, Ontario
Canada
Tri-For-Life
Total Time = 45m
Overall Rank = --/--
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was an indoor charity triathlon. Evertything was done in timed stages. My difficulties came before the race. I had been in Toledo for an Aikido seminar. It was tiring, but the big problem was that I pulled a muscle in my left calf.

I set out to do the Triforlife anyway, knowing that the muscle problem would not really impact the swim or bike, but if could walk parts of the run if necessary.

Because I have my own Aikido classes that I HAVE to go to on Sunday to get ready for my black belt test, I registered, asking for a 2pm start time. When I got my confirmation email, it said my wave was going at 9:40 AM. Of course, I am reading this at 9:30 AM. One quick phone call and the problem was "solved".

When I got there, I was NOT listed for 2 PM. I was recorded as a no show. MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm administration. Seriously, is it that hard? Anyway, I ended up slotted in for a 1:40 wave which gave me 20 minutes to get changed and warmed up.

I'd had a bagel after Kenshu and the race package came with a pack of GU, which I downed before the swim.
Event warmup:

My warm up was 2 lenghts of the pool and stretching. Not much but oh well. I was not planning on pushing early, so I could warm into the swim.
Swim
  • 15m
  • 628 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
What would you do differently?:

This is still early on in my training, I just want to get to the point that I can swim for 15-20 minutes without stopping.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

This was a set wave triathlon where everyone started each wave at the same time. We had 5 minutes to get out of the pool, change and get up to the bikes.

I actually changed into underwear and running shorts

For this one, nothing. Actually, I would bring my own sports drink, as they didn't have any water for me untill about 1/2 way through the bike stake
Bike
  • 15m
  • 7.52 kms
  • 30.06 km/hr
Comments:

Average RPM's 100
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

Just had to walk over to the track. This was indoors and easy to find as it was located behind the registration tables
Run
  • 15m
  • 2.7 kms
  • 05m 34s  min/km
Comments:

I had a muscle pull in my left calf from yesterday so that was a problem. I walked 20 yards about half way through but kept going otherwise. I only finished behind 2 runners and one of thos guys lapped me about 6 times.

Not get injued the day before!
Post race
Warm down:

Walking it off, general stretching of th ecalf and lots of fruit and water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

injury, and little training

Event comments:

This is not a "real" tri, to be picky, but it was a great event and was excellent for my training (especially psychologically). I would do it again

Last updated: 2008-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:00 | 628 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/--
Performance: Average
It was nice swimming in a pool that was longer and actually had the lane lines on the bottom. I managed at least 3 successful flip turns. I based my swim on my set work, and took 3-4 12 breath breaks. I think I am wearing my goggles too tight though. After 10-12 minutes the bridge of my nose gets a little sore.
Suit:
Course: Cholrinated 25 yard pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:15:00 | 07.52 kms | 30.06 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/--
Performance: Average
average heart rate for the first half was about 147. I picked up the pace towards the end and averaged about 160 for the last 2:30
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike