General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body Image and Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-06-16 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1465881

User image

Alaska
Subject: RE: Body Image and Ironman

Bopper - I think that's what's so special about the triathlon community.  It doesn't cost the front-of-the-pack crowd anything but a bit of time to wish the BOP crowd well.  If any triathlete's time was impacted by a slower person's, attitudes might be different.

Seriously, I've never seen such a supportive athletic community.  Even my tee-ball team when I was seven wasn't this inclusive.  I wasn't the last racer through the chute at mine, but I was near the back.  I was very touched by the number of cheers and high fives offered as I was coming in.

2008-06-16 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1423959

User image

Basking Ridge
I am comfortable with my body image. I'm a age 42 male, 6ft, 205lbs, w/a football player build in my 2nd yr of triathlon. I finish most races in the 20-50%tile of my age group. I don't have the perfect body build for a triathlete but I am in shape and have no reason to complain. And yes, I will probably lose some weight and become even leaner as i continue my tri journey towards an ironman in a few years (but that is simply an effect of the real cause = the joy of triathlon).

I respond to this thread because I want you to know that I - a comfortable body image triathlete - get my INSPIRATION for this sport from people like you, not the elites racers or age group winners. I have never had to overcome a serious physical or mental issue (yet anyway). But I say to myself, if that person is out here dealing with all the issues that a tri brings + additional personal issues (whether it be health, weight, or a physical handicap, etc.) then I have no option but to keep workying, to try harder..... because I am lucky enough that I can and therefore I should. My limits are only the limits I put on myself. .

My friends are always asking why and how you do this and then give me various rationalizations for why they don't try. I say, "to each, their own". But I tell them to come to a race, see the various body types, the various ages, many of whom will fly by me during the race. They are usually amazed and that is because of people like you.

I may pass you in a race someday, and whether I say it out loud or not, I will be pooling for you to catch me, because it is athletes like you that are my INSPIRATION in this sport. And I'm sure I'm not the only "comfortable body image triathlete" that thinks this way.

pete

If anyone needs more inspiration, go to a local Special Olympics event......see the effort......
2008-06-16 5:02 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I really got over my body image after doing my first race which was a marathon. I feel like a poser out there but I figure as long as I finish in the time given I deserve to be out there.

I working on losing weight not to look better but I really can tell how much better it makes me as a racer and how easier the sport gets. That is pretty good motivation. Hopely I can break out of the BOP.
2008-06-18 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1470068

Just remember who you're out there for and why you're training.   YOU.  It sounds like you have come so far.  Image is something no one is every happy with.  Some people want to be skinnier, more muscular, bigger assets, etc.  You put in the time to train, be proud of it, and don't worry what other people may do/think.  This keeps so many people out of the local gym to work out.  Sometimes this mental thing can be tough, but you have to work through it. 
2008-06-18 10:59 AM

User image

MS
I try not to let other people get to me when I'm dressed out in enough lycra to house a small village. A few weeks ago I had a group of @$$holes pass me and yell out" ride that bike fat boy". Needless to say that got the blood to boil, I don't know if it was lucky for them or for me that they turned down a different road. The more I road the madder I got, which was great for my average, but not for my attitude. I try not to let people like that get to me. My sister even said she wished she had my selfesteem, with race catagories like Clydesdale and for the Muddy Buddy, Beast. I told her clydesdales are majestic and powerful and Beast was one of my favorite Marvel heroes growing up. I take pride in those names, and dare anyone to challenge me or my kind in heart and determination. Keep it up, most people won't even start what you are already doing.
2008-06-18 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1474109

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

bikemedic - 2008-06-18 11:59 AM I try not to let other people get to me when I'm dressed out in enough lycra to house a small village. A few weeks ago I had a group of @$$holes pass me and yell out" ride that bike fat boy". Needless to say that got the blood to boil, I don't know if it was lucky for them or for me that they turned down a different road. The more I road the madder I got, which was great for my average, but not for my attitude. I try not to let people like that get to me. My sister even said she wished she had my selfesteem, with race catagories like Clydesdale and for the Muddy Buddy, Beast. I told her clydesdales are majestic and powerful and Beast was one of my favorite Marvel heroes growing up. I take pride in those names, and dare anyone to challenge me or my kind in heart and determination. Keep it up, most people won't even start what you are already doing.

When any @sshat feels the need to make fun of someone else who is trying to better themselves I laugh because I know what those losers do when they go home -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2qV8SuDdxg&feature=related (Language not for children, but funny as heck and you know it's true).  Come on you know those guys just finished up a long conversation on how much better nair is over shaving.  The best part is when you leave the race with the same exact finisher medal as them.  That should make them get all huffed up and jump into their H1 (a measure of compensation for something) and speed off to make up some story about a badger, a barracudda and the Hulk as their reason for yet again being off the podium.  

Like chirunner said "if I finish in the time alloted I deserve to be there" 

2008-06-21 11:28 AM

Northern Virginia
Tryhardathena, I am totally IMPRESSED and INSPIRED by you, and I am "drafting" off your success so I can re-motivate myself. My biggest obstacle in triathlon is body image and being fat.

How about a t-shirt that says, "I'm not fat, I'm a triathlete!" (riffing off the "I'm not fat, I'm pregnant" t-shirts)

You're amazing. That's her "stuff," not yours. Consider her stunned reaction -- you made her face a prejudice she holds, and re-think it. Remember: YOU competed in a HALF IRONMAN. Roll that around on your tongue a few more times. HALF IRONMAN.

You make me believe I could actually become an athlete.

2008-06-24 1:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Penn Valley,

There are so many insensitive and some out and out rude people out there; especially the ones who yell stuff or throw stuff at cyclists and runners.  For some, it doesn't matter whether you're overweight or not.  But, I think when you're overweight it stings more.  The thing you have to remember with these types is that they could not go out tomorrow and accomplish what we are accomplishing.  Some people are just never happy or comfortable with themselves unless they are tearing someone else down.

As several people have said, and I agree, the Triathlon community is unbelievably supportive, encouraging and motivating.  I think it's thanks to this community that so many of us accomplish goals that we never thought were possible.  Therefore, it does make me sad when I see a little bit of the stereotyping going on within the sport.  For example, the comment to the OP that she couldn't pick up the packet for someone else, or the fact that they don't always make race T-Shirts in sizes for Clydes and Athenas.  For my first race last year, which was a women's only race, at packet pick up it was very discouraging that they did not make the T-Shirts in XL.  I think my nerves got the best of me when I got back to the hotel room because I started crying.  I felt a little angry too like they were telling me they didn't think I could do it or that I didn't deserve to be "in the club" or didn't deserve to be there.  This might have been on my mind when I pushed myself harder than I ever thought possible the next day and finished a very tough course.  I was the last finisher.  DFL!!  It took me 3 hours 18 minutes and 51 seconds.  And I was proud.  But, I could not wear the T-Shirt they gave me because it was too small.

Well, that was last year.  This year, I just finished my second race a little over a week ago.  I was not last and I finished in 2 hours 1 minute and 8 seconds.  Woo Hoo!!  I've lost 20 pounds since last year's race, I'm down to 187 pounds, and I'm looking forward to my next race.  BTW, that shirt that was too small last year would probably fit now but I don't think I want to promote them.  This year's race, by a different organizer, had larger sized shirts.  Even though I no longer need it, I was glad to see them.  

It's too bad that they don't collect T-Shirt sizes with registrations so that they can have the proper sizes for everyone so that no one has to feel left out, singled out or excluded. 

Lisa

2008-06-24 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Talk to your Race Director's when that kind of t-shirt nonsense happens. As a point of reference I did my first tri-relay at 285lbs and was told by the Race Director that she didn't have any XXL t-shirts because she didn't know any triathletes that were XXL - I was horrified and totally disappointed but I dug in my heels and stuck my chin out and said "well you are looking at one".

I finished that relay and went on to finish my first triathlon 2 weeks later. I've since become friends with the race director and she now stocks her races with XXL because she gets it that even the final finisher is a triathlete and deserves to wear their race shirt proudly.

On an encouraging note - I finished IM CDA on Sunday and got a size Medium t-shirt
2008-06-24 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
I want you all to know that this thread has helped me so much. I have struggled in the last week with being ill and lacking a wee bit of motivation. If I ever don't want to do my workout, all i do is come to this thread and read your words.

To all of you who completed IM CDA...congrats. I watched the last three hours of finishers..right up to 3am eastern. You guys did awesome and you gave me tons of hope that I can do this!!

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words. This is a very special group of people and I feel honored to be a part of it.

2008-06-25 5:29 PM

User image

Hi! Just thought I would chime in here! I have had some big issues with body image and ironman. When I signed up I thought I could loose 30 lbs and look a little more like the average triathlete, but that didn't happen. Before I got up to Idaho, I was getting mixed reactions from those I told I was going to IM CDA. The non athletes thought it was awesome and never questioned my weight or apperance. It was the athletes who gave me subtle digs and made me worry that I couldn't do this. Once I got to Idaho, I didn't feel near as bad. I met others who were not thin and obviously athletic looking so it gave me some confidence. Passing up people who appeared to be in much better shaped helped to boost my confidence too! It all comes down to how bad you want it and how hard you work for it, not what you look like. I did it! I am an Ironman even though I took almost the whole 17 hours to do it! Now I am feeling much better and plan to concentrate on improving in the shorter distances. Maybe I can even be competitive in the athena division someday!
The best advise I cangive is to have faith in yourself and your training! You have worked hard and you can do this!

2008-06-26 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1490365

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

gettinfitnow - 2008-06-25 6:29 PM Hi! Just thought I would chime in here! I have had some big issues with body image and ironman. When I signed up I thought I could loose 30 lbs and look a little more like the average triathlete, but that didn't happen. Before I got up to Idaho, I was getting mixed reactions from those I told I was going to IM CDA. The non athletes thought it was awesome and never questioned my weight or apperance. It was the athletes who gave me subtle digs and made me worry that I couldn't do this. Once I got to Idaho, I didn't feel near as bad. I met others who were not thin and obviously athletic looking so it gave me some confidence. Passing up people who appeared to be in much better shaped helped to boost my confidence too! It all comes down to how bad you want it and how hard you work for it, not what you look like. I did it! I am an Ironman even though I took almost the whole 17 hours to do it! Now I am feeling much better and plan to concentrate on improving in the shorter distances. Maybe I can even be competitive in the athena division someday! The best advise I cangive is to have faith in yourself and your training! You have worked hard and you can do this!

Very inspiring and I'm glad you shared your story!  I'm too proud to do an IM while taking the full 17 hours, but have real respect for those who do step up and take the full challenge, no matter how long it takes them.  Maybe when I get to the point where I can do half-IM's in just 6hrs, not 6.5hrs...hmmm...anyway, thanks for the inspiration! 

Cheers, -Sunny 

2008-06-26 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1491397

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
SunnyS - 2008-06-26 7:09 AM

gettinfitnow - 2008-06-25 6:29 PM Hi! Just thought I would chime in here! I have had some big issues with body image and ironman. When I signed up I thought I could loose 30 lbs and look a little more like the average triathlete, but that didn't happen. Before I got up to Idaho, I was getting mixed reactions from those I told I was going to IM CDA. The non athletes thought it was awesome and never questioned my weight or apperance. It was the athletes who gave me subtle digs and made me worry that I couldn't do this. Once I got to Idaho, I didn't feel near as bad. I met others who were not thin and obviously athletic looking so it gave me some confidence. Passing up people who appeared to be in much better shaped helped to boost my confidence too! It all comes down to how bad you want it and how hard you work for it, not what you look like. I did it! I am an Ironman even though I took almost the whole 17 hours to do it! Now I am feeling much better and plan to concentrate on improving in the shorter distances. Maybe I can even be competitive in the athena division someday! The best advise I cangive is to have faith in yourself and your training! You have worked hard and you can do this!

Very inspiring and I'm glad you shared your story! I'm too proud to do an IM while taking the full 17 hours, but have real respect for those who do step up and take the full challenge, no matter how long it takes them. Maybe when I get to the point where I can do half-IM's in just 6hrs, not 6.5hrs...hmmm...anyway, thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers, -Sunny

Please do not take this the wrong way Sunny but seriously????

An Ironman is anyone who completes the distances in 17 Hours period. As I'm sure Tanya and many others can tell you there were MANY very fit clearly gifted athletes finishing the race in the final hour.

You obviously have the right to your pride but if Ironman is something you're interested in doing why wouldn't you just go for it. So what if it takes you 16:59.59 ...... I'm an Ironman 2 x now and the number of people outside of triathletes who have ever cared about my finish time I can count on one hand.

Just my .002
2008-06-26 6:41 PM
in reply to: #1490365

User image

Extreme Veteran
gettinfitnow - 2008-06-25 5:29 PM

Hi! Just thought I would chime in here! I have had some big issues with body image and ironman. When I signed up I thought I could loose 30 lbs and look a little more like the average triathlete, but that didn't happen. Before I got up to Idaho, I was getting mixed reactions from those I told I was going to IM CDA. The non athletes thought it was awesome and never questioned my weight or apperance. It was the athletes who gave me subtle digs and made me worry that I couldn't do this. Once I got to Idaho, I didn't feel near as bad. I met others who were not thin and obviously athletic looking so it gave me some confidence. Passing up people who appeared to be in much better shaped helped to boost my confidence too! It all comes down to how bad you want it and how hard you work for it, not what you look like. I did it! I am an Ironman even though I took almost the whole 17 hours to do it! Now I am feeling much better and plan to concentrate on improving in the shorter distances. Maybe I can even be competitive in the athena division someday!
The best advise I cangive is to have faith in yourself and your training! You have worked hard and you can do this!

Girl YOU INSPIRE!!! I watched IM CDA and I watched you finish. Congrats!! Im a Florida girl (that means I like it flat and windy..not hilly and cold) and training to finish Ironman Florida in November. You have given me alot of hope and I can't think you enough for posting your experience!!! You're the real deal!!! You're an IRONMAN!!
2008-06-26 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1493247

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

trihardathena - 2008-06-26 7:41 PM
gettinfitnow - 2008-06-25 5:29 PM Hi! Just thought I would chime in here! I have had some big issues with body image and ironman. When I signed up I thought I could loose 30 lbs and look a little more like the average triathlete, but that didn't happen. Before I got up to Idaho, I was getting mixed reactions from those I told I was going to IM CDA. The non athletes thought it was awesome and never questioned my weight or apperance. It was the athletes who gave me subtle digs and made me worry that I couldn't do this. Once I got to Idaho, I didn't feel near as bad. I met others who were not thin and obviously athletic looking so it gave me some confidence. Passing up people who appeared to be in much better shaped helped to boost my confidence too! It all comes down to how bad you want it and how hard you work for it, not what you look like. I did it! I am an Ironman even though I took almost the whole 17 hours to do it! Now I am feeling much better and plan to concentrate on improving in the shorter distances. Maybe I can even be competitive in the athena division someday! The best advise I cangive is to have faith in yourself and your training! You have worked hard and you can do this!
Girl YOU INSPIRE!!! I watched IM CDA and I watched you finish. Congrats!! Im a Florida girl (that means I like it flat and windy..not hilly and cold) and training to finish Ironman Florida in November. You have given me alot of hope and I can't think you enough for posting your experience!!! You're the real deal!!! You're an IRONMAN!!

I'm thinking I will volunteer for IMFL this year so I can scope it out and be there to sign up for 2009. I hope I get to meet some of you there

2008-06-26 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1493396

User image

Extreme Veteran
I actually volunteer for two years. First year, I was a rescue swimmer/diver on the swim course. Last year, I was actually suppose to run the race but became anemic several weeks before the start and they couldn't raise my iron level so I became race crew for a friend and volunteered in the transition area, at the finish line and on the run course. Its alot of fun and I learned alot!!!

If you volunteer and decide to sign up for 2009, you get in a special SHORTER line to sign up for the race. Just wear your volunteer shirt and you're good to go!!!

Melissa

2008-06-27 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1492463

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
leopard8996 - 2008-06-26 2:47 PM
SunnyS - 2008-06-26 7:09 AM

Very inspiring and I'm glad you shared your story! I'm too proud to do an IM while taking the full 17 hours, but have real respect for those who do step up and take the full challenge, no matter how long it takes them. Maybe when I get to the point where I can do half-IM's in just 6hrs, not 6.5hrs...hmmm...anyway, thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers, -Sunny

Please do not take this the wrong way Sunny but seriously???? An Ironman is anyone who completes the distances in 17 Hours period. As I'm sure Tanya and many others can tell you there were MANY very fit clearly gifted athletes finishing the race in the final hour. You obviously have the right to your pride but if Ironman is something you're interested in doing why wouldn't you just go for it. So what if it takes you 16:59.59 ...... I'm an Ironman 2 x now and the number of people outside of triathletes who have ever cared about my finish time I can count on one hand. Just my .002

Yes, seriously.  I don't cover the Ironman moniker so that non-triathletes can ooh and ahh over my having covered the distance, even if very slowly.  I don't want to be one who just barely makes cutoff times, or finishes at midnight. For me, that'd be too stressful. 

Call me crazy, but I would want my Ironman (perhaps my ONLY Ironman) to be done in a time I could be proud of, and I'm just very content to get faster at the Half-Ironman distance first.  I don't particularly like the idea of run/walking a marathon after a century ride either, but maybe in a few more years...we'll see.   

2008-06-27 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
To each their own I suppose.

As a 2 time Ironman finisher I'm proud of both my times

Good luck to you in your future triathlon endeavors.
2008-06-27 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
IT got me thinking about my most recent him. I got a DNF officially from the race (do not get me started on why I think that was BS.)

Anyways. It was a very stormy day and the race was cancelled. I am most proud I finish that him because one weather sucked and made it pretty extreme. even at 260 I got blown off the bike because of the wind. I PRed, I did not get an official time, but I still crossed that finish line where 125 people did not cross that line or 1/3 of the race.

Sure maybe at a 17 hour IM you walked alot of the marathon. The thing is that most people could not do 1 of those in a day. There might be 15% of the people at that start line who were not able to finish that day but you did. To me time is secondary to if you finish or not. If you could do a 10 hour IM what is the point if you were not able to cross that finish line.
2008-06-28 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1495345

User image

chirunner134 - 2008-06-27 2:04 PM

IT got me thinking about my most recent him. I got a DNF officially from the race (do not get me started on why I think that was BS.)

Anyways. It was a very stormy day and the race was cancelled. I am most proud I finish that him because one weather sucked and made it pretty extreme. even at 260 I got blown off the bike because of the wind. I PRed, I did not get an official time, but I still crossed that finish line where 125 people did not cross that line or 1/3 of the race.

Sure maybe at a 17 hour IM you walked alot of the marathon. The thing is that most people could not do 1 of those in a day. There might be 15% of the people at that start line who were not able to finish that day but you did. To me time is secondary to if you finish or not. If you could do a 10 hour IM what is the point if you were not able to cross that finish line.

Awesome job finish in bad weather! I know how tough that can make it!
You have it right, finishing is more important than the time. So many factors affect time.

2008-06-28 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1495141

User image

[

Yes, seriously.  I don't cover the Ironman moniker so that non-triathletes can ooh and ahh over my having covered the distance, even if very slowly.  I don't want to be one who just barely makes cutoff times, or finishes at midnight. For me, that'd be too stressful. 

Call me crazy, but I would want my Ironman (perhaps my ONLY Ironman) to be done in a time I could be proud of, and I'm just very content to get faster at the Half-Ironman distance first.  I don't particularly like the idea of run/walking a marathon after a century ride either, but maybe in a few more years...we'll see.   

I am very proud of my 16:37 Ironman. I have struggled to bring my bike to a point where I could make the cut-off. For me that was a big challenge and I could have went home after the bike very proud of that accomplishment. I did not meet the cut-off time for my HIM, so I know the stress of not finishing. Crossing the finish line was my only concern that day- and it was a PR for me!! I am not planning another IM, but I raced this one to the best of my ability at this point in my life with the conditions dealt for the day.

2008-06-28 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1493247

User image

trihardathena - 2008-06-26 4:41 PM

gettinfitnow - 2008-06-25 5:29 PM

!

You will do great!! I train in flat and windy too! Honestly I think that was a benifit to me! I have read so many reports about the wind on the last bit, and I didn't even notice it!! If that was enough wind to affect people, I don't feel bad when I complain about the wind! I always thought I was just being a wimp!
I will look foward to watching you at IM FL in Nov!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body Image and Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2