General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
Total Time = 3h 21m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stretched 10min or so.
Ran for about 10mins
Swam for about 5mins
THEN SAT AROUND FOR 1.5hrs. I didn't realize that the 25-29 men went off at 8:30. I thought it was going to be something more like 7:15.
Event warmup:

Rolled my ankle while stumbling into the water at auditorium shores. This played into my super weak run.
Swim
  • 36m 9s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went very well.
Transition 1
  • 04m 45s
Comments:

I sat down for a minute. My ankle was bugging me somewhat and I decided to sit while doing some of the transition stuff. Wetsuit peeling went pretty smoothly. I didn't quite know where I should put my wetsuit which led to about 20-30 seconds lost.
What would you do differently?:

I might try clipping shoes onto bike and running in socks to Mount line. Looks like that could've been a good time saver
Bike
  • 1h 18m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went just fine. I think I probably pushed it a little too hard. The ankle was really bugging me on the ride on lap 3 of 4.
Transition 2
  • 02m 43s
Run
  • 1h 19m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Miserable. This was the worst run I've ever had. Ankle bugging me must've lead to me running funny b/c my back started to spasm. I stopped 3 times completely and walked a lot. This combined with a lack of energy led to a horrible run. I nearly quit in the middle of the run. I knew is was well off of my goal time of 3 hours.
What would you do differently?:

Probably should've held it back a little more on swim and run. I just need to get in better shape.
Post race
Event comments:

My official time was 3:21:05. I really made some serious improvements on the swim/bike. I shaved 7 minutes on my swim alone! I was 2 mins faster on the bike, avg’d +19mph. Transition time was roughly the same…15secs slower and given that I introduced the wetsuit to the equation, I’m happy with that. Before the run, I had improved my time by 9mins. If I ran inline w/ my last run, I would’ve been right at 3:00. I’m definitely going to train up and try to break the 3hr mark in the fall.

I’m buying new running shoes today. I am going to buy the ones that promise a faster than 12:00 mile pace. My pace yesterday was a miserable 12:46.

I'm glad that I finished the race. I really need to lose more weight and improve my endurance before the Austin Triathlon in the fall.

Last updated: 2008-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:09 | 1640 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:45
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:06 | 24.85 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:19:19 | 06.21 miles | 12m 46s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-26 6:20 AM

User image

New user

Austin, TX
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-05-26 8:32 AM
in reply to: #1424251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Way to stick with it, despite the ankle trouble! That's tough to finish when you're hurting.  Congrats on improving your swim and bike - that's so encouraging! All you need are new shoes, sound ankles and a bit more training and you'll be there. Hang in there, and I'll see you at the Austin Tri in September!  I'm trying to get under 3 hours for that race, too!
2008-05-26 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1424251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great improvement on the swim. It's impressive that you worked through the pain to finish. I've no doubt you would've finished under 3 hours without the ankle holding you down.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed